Keeping my car alive

OlympicTim

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats up boys nothing to do with pick up this is for all you car guys.

I know nothing about cars except how to put gas in and fill the tires (should probably learn a few things)

Anyways so when I go to work I have 2 routes I can take. One is an expressway and one is through the city with the stop signs and such.

It takes 10 minutes either way I take so time is neligable.

What would be easier on my car the highway or the city? I want this thing to last as long as possible

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Mix it up. And when it works for you, let the car run for longer than 10 minutes. But you don't need to let it sit and 'warm up' for linger than 20 seconds or so.

Oil reaches 'operating temperature' only after a dozen or so miles. That's the temp where oil 'boils off' it's impurities this keep I got it stable longer and doing its job better. If you go for drives longer than to/from work, you don't need to worry.

Change the oil at 6,000. Both new engines and the new oil formulas obviate needing to change at 3,000 (the old way). Other than that, follow the maintenance schedule in the manual.

Stagger Lee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The expressway is easier on a car than stop and go driving. Stop and go driving puts more wear and tear and strain on the powertrain and brakes and suspension. Also the light and consistent load on the engine on the expressway is the best way to warm up the engine, coolant oil. Before the engine is warmed up is when it wears the most but the engine should outlast the usefulness of the rest of the car. Still, stop and go driving is harder on the other parts of the car.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll run through your front brake pads much more quickly with stop and go. But brake pads are meant to be replaced; that does not affect the long-term value of the car.

Is it a used car? It may be due for scheduled maintenance now, or shortly, anyway. There are a lot of small parts on an old car that are smart to replace at regular intervals, because if they go bad, they can cause a lot more damage. A thermostat is a good example. It's a cheap part that should be replaced every 60-80k miles, because when it goes out, you can very easily melt the engine and destroy it. The vehicle manufacturer has likely published a list of recommended scheduled maintenance.

If it were my car, in addition to keep the oil clean, I'd run some Lucas Oil Treatment with your oil. If you change your oil yourself, you can do a better job than a quick-change place. Warm it up, shut it off, then open the plug and let it drain for a while, and then pour a clean quart through the top to flush out all the old oil. Let that drain for a while. Taking your time is what makes a better job than Jiffy Lube.

NSX-R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When you start the car , let it idle for around 30 seconds before you start driving.

Till the temperature gauge gets to the middle, try to not rev it more than 2500 k rpm . Try to make the car move in low revs and change gears as you increase your speed. It's good cause it improves the mpg and it increases the lifetime of your car.

Use always roads that do not require start/stop situations because it increases the stresses in your vehicle.

I have an old Honda that I'm using it as a toy mostly. The previous owner was traveling only in highways and he made around 300.000 km flawlessly. The car still drives like brand new.

Skyline

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The highway is always better.

Cars are actually a lot faster than you think and actually get better gas mileage when going higher and at consistent speeds. Try to keep your revs low. If you drive a manual shift at 2k RPM's and if you're automatic then it's already doing it for you.

Oh, and pay attention to your miles as well. Every 3.5k, for me at least, is an oil change and filter replacement. Every time I refill on gas I personally inspect my car. I check liquid levels, feel around hoses for sturdiness, feel the thickness of my belts, make sure my air intake isn't loose, check brake life, and even have a quick look underneath.

Pay attention to your cars dash though. It will tell you when you need to add more coolant or change oil. Cars don't just break. They break from an issue that was never taken care of.

Oh yeah, don't floor it when your car isn't at idle temp. Which means when the temperature needle is in the middle.

Last edited: