Just broke up? Take on a project immediately!

The Truth

Banned
Reaction score
This is a tip for anyone who has recently broken up with a girlfriend or suffered a painful rejection that keeps playing on their mind.

Firstly you need to focus on getting over her, NOT getting back with her!

Now forget about hooking up with someone else for now. If you're hurting over your ex, then hooking up with some other chick is not going to be fun for you and you'll probably end up comparing and thinking MORE about your ex. You can do this when you are ready but not for now.

The key is to take on a project, keep busy and take your mind away from this painful subject and stop all negative thoughts from flooding your head.

When I broke up with one of my girlfriends who I'd been living with for 3 months I had to move back to my parents home. I sat there surrounded by boxes of my belongings, moping, listening to music and crying a lot that day. Then for some reason before I went to sleep I decided I was going to redecorate my room.

I woke up the following day feeling down and miserable but I remembered my plan and began stripping off the wallpaper. Within a couple of hours I became so immersed in what I was doing I barely gave my break up a thought. I even caught myself humming and whistling. My mind suddenly turned to what wallpaper I was going to buy, how I would change the lighting, areas that needed painting, new curtains, bedding and carpet and so on.

I woke up the next day completely focused on my project. My ex-girlfriend called me that afternoon to try and start an argument but I told her I was busy and got on with the job at hand. I honestly felt that it could wait and that my current project was more important to me right now.

I ended up redecorating the whole room, which took me around a week to finish completely, including shopping for little items, plants, decorations and so on. That whole week I barely gave my break up any weight. Sure I thought about it and I was down at times but the important thing is I never had time to let myself focus on it and get depressed. By this time I was thinking more clearly and had no problem moving on.

When I broke up with my last ex I upgraded my computer. I was clueless about the inside of computers and didn't know what the f*ck I was doing so I spent a lot of time reading the net and computer manuals and learning. I spent the next week surrounded by motherboards and components and the same thing happened. My ex took a backseat in my mind! And when my computer was up and running again, I had the fun of running all new software (read: games :)) and seeing what my new PC could do.

So when you suffer heartbreak, take on a project. Don't just play games or watch movies. Do something that yields a result. Something you can throw your mind into and can't wait to finish! It really does work!

Kourt

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Truth said:
\
When I broke up with one of my girlfriends who I'd been living with for 3 months I had to move back to my parents home. I sat there surrounded by boxes of my belongings, moping, listening to music and crying a lot that day. Then for some reason before I went to sleep I decided I was going to redecorate my room.
Great advice, I'm living at home now with all my stuff in boxes, sitting around, listening to music and gaming, my ex ***** doesn't deserve my tears though, so I'm passing on that.

I did have a 'project' though, I just got back from Warped Tour, so that was fun and took my mind off things.

midas

Reaction score
I was in this amazing relationship with this girl who was just amazing( I fell in love with her) then...Poof!! it was gone faster than you could say 'Huh!?' (I was a major wuss back then). This girl was a player she was dating 3 guys at one time and I found out from her best friend (But thats another story) Anyways I decided to learn a sport that I disliked entirely (some psychological thing a friend told me to do). That sport was hockey, the moment I started I never stopped. I love the game now, I'm fit as hell, I've had numbers stuffed in my hockey bag while on the court, I get phone calls from girls I don't know just itchin to take me out on dates, Its developed my mojo to a whole different level and It wasn't hard to blow her(The ex) off when she tried to come back......7 times....One time she was naked in my apartment(Had to change the locks)....Started stalking me.....Started harrassing the girls I dated(Which got those girls fending her off for me)....I have one rule that I always stick to; If a chic ends the relationship I never look back!...Never!....And its hard until you find something (A hobby) to love. Never rely on emotional support from your girl, It should come from friends and family but not the girl.....Go find yourself a sport buddy! and don't look back!

oneshot

Don Juan
Reaction score
When my near-perfect relationship ended all of a sudden, I finally decided to stop crying around. I decided to "take on a project"... I got ****ing pissed, tried to transfer out of my tier 3 college that I was currently enrolled in, worked for over two sleepless weeks on essays and college applications, applied to ten of some of the best schools in the states, and got accepted to Vanderbilt University. On the same day that I got accepted, my ex called me, but didn't say anything on the phone, so I hung up. I was too ****ing thrilled about something else to care.

SrDedosRapidos

Don Juan
Reaction score
what happens if you're the one who ends it and to your surprise you really don't give a flying fvck?

amore_mia

Reaction score
Taking up a project is a nice advice to cope with a break-up although it's also a good idea to be spending more time with your friends now, you can even have someone to talk to in the process. Better yet, date other girls who are more worth it (Just make sure you don't consider them a "rebound"). Just pure clean dating fun, to keep your mind through the hurt.

Lion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For sure, redecorate, recreate, re-evaluate... YOU!!!

Don't put things off, do all the things you've always wanted to do and more