Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

JohnnyIrish's Diet/Workout Log

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh, you'll have a good 20-40lbs from using the better grip, probably even more once you get higher and higher.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
Def do alternate grip. I agree with quag, you could have added more weight, much more weight. Your practically walking around with the weight.

And btw...did you calculate the weight correctly? Were those 35lbs or 45lbs on the bar? Don't forget to add the bar weight
So the only difference with an alternate grip is that one hand is underhanded instead of both being overhanded (I for thought it would be more complicated then that for some reason.. :D )

Also do you recommend one alternating between sets which hand is under and which is over?

I will definitely employ this type of grip next deads day (as well as up the weight significantly).

Today:
fasted* HIIT: 4.5 min warm up, 1 min on, 1 min off for 16 min (8 intervals), spd 9-12. My HR got up to 174 around the last few intervals.

* had some baby carrots prior to working out

Its interesting.. The first half of HIIT I can get myself really winded but my HR won't be high. (I'm thinking this is evidence of progress.. as back when I started in the beginning when under stress and my HR would jump immediately). My HR catches up around the last few intervals however.

BTW- Thanks JR89

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes one palm facing away, one palm facing you.

You can alternate which is hand is which if you want, most people don't bother.

Just be careful with the deads upping the weight a lot, use your warm up sets as a guide.

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
JohnnyIrish said:
So the only difference with an alternate grip is that one hand is underhanded instead of both being overhanded (I for thought it would be more complicated then that for some reason.. :D )

Also do you recommend one alternating between sets which hand is under and which is over?

I will definitely employ this type of grip next deads day (as well as up the weight significantly)
Yes, one hand over, one under. If you're going to use this grip then make sure you alternate each set, else you'll get an imbalance between one side of your rear chain and the other because each side is stressed differently due to the grip style. However personally I don't like this grip, it feels awkward and imbalanced. I'd rather do both overhand with straps than this grip tbh.

MM

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll use the alternate grip Friday.

btw- i-tallion: I added up the plates + the bar weight (45lbs) when I calculate the weight.

Today:

Squat (ATG) 2x5:
bar x 10
85 x 6
115 x 1
165 x 5
165 x 5

/\ I added 20lbs this week. Damn this was tough. I also concentrated to make sure to push with the heel of my foot, not the ball of my foot.

Pullthroughs 3 x 10:
42.5 x 10
42.5 x 10
42.5 x 10

/\ Worked my lower back good.

Chest supported Row 4 x 8:
bar x 10
20 x 6
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8

/\ Notes and the link to this video are below.

Hammer curls 3 x 8
30 x 8
30 x 6
30 x 6

/\ I can do 3 sets of 8 with my right hand.. but my left hand's grip fails at 6 with the second and third set. Is there something I can do to work grip specifically?

Calf Raises 3 x 15:
50 x 10
90 x 6
130 x 15
130 x 15
130 x 15

/\ Ok this exercise kicks my ass. I don't feel like I'm making much if any progress.. except for the fact that I was finally able to do 3 sets of 15 of the SAME weight this time (and barely.. It was burning after the second set so I waited 5min for the burning to subside). I guess its natural? *shrugs* Doing 45 reps vs doing 20 which I was doing before is more then twice the amount so I guess I will get use to it in time.

New video:
Chest Supported Rows Now this was my second set of 4. The trainer who was nice enough to vid this for me then told me to instead of having my head down (I looked like I was kissing the weight in the vid.. wtf) to have it up high. I tried this for my third and fourth set and I could definitely feel it much more in my lats. Is that the proper way to do it?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I won't comment on the row as I have never done that movement before, sorry I can't be any help with it.

As for the calf raises going from 20 reps to 45reps is a big jump and you need to take this into consideration. How are you doing your calf raises btw? Like this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/SLStandingCalfRaise.html ???

As for grip there are other things that can be looked at. I think it would be better just to hold off and get your dead to 250-300+ for reps over the next few months :D If it is causing you problems once the compound is higher then other stuff can be looked at. Remember the hammer curl is there to work the grip. If you have an issue with right being stronger than left then you can just hold the right back and wait for left to catch up. I don't really think this is important either though when it is only a few reps of a difference. Different if there was a BIG difference.

Good work on the squat, try and get a video of one of your worksets. Don't want to see you stalling because of form issues like I did.

Keep it up, you're doing great. Will be good to see get over 200 for reps on the dead, hopefully this week :up:

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I won't comment on the row as I have never done that movement before, sorry I can't be any help with it.

As for the calf raises going from 20 reps to 45reps is a big jump and you need to take this into consideration. How are you doing your calf raises btw? Like this:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/SLStandingCalfRaise.html ???

As for grip there are other things that can be looked at. I think it would be better just to hold off and get your dead to 250-300+ for reps over the next few months :D If it is causing you problems once the compound is higher then other stuff can be looked at. Remember the hammer curl is there to work the grip. If you have an issue with right being stronger than left then you can just hold the right back and wait for left to catch up. I don't really think this is important either though when it is only a few reps of a difference. Different if there was a BIG difference.

Good work on the squat, try and get a video of one of your worksets. Don't want to see you stalling because of form issues like I did.

Keep it up, you're doing great. Will be good to see get over 200 for reps on the dead, hopefully this week :up:
Rows: I'll stick with what the guy said then unless I get advice to the contrary here.

As for the calf raise, its more like this. When I can lift my own bodyweight + some with my calves then i can use the upright calve machine but I'm not quite there yet.

Grip: Rgr that. I'll just hold off a bit then with my right so as to keep them on the same level. Also yeah.. the hammers are helping with that. :)

As for the squat video.. crap for some reason I thought I already made a newer one (going ATG) but I realize I didn't. I'll get another of them up next squat day. Thanks.

As for the 200lbs squat this week.. Yeah.. this Friday should be interesting. :D

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That calf raise looks like it will actually be a lot harder comparatively with a standing one (weight wise). Similar to the leg press/calf raise variation I used to do and I used a lot less weight on that than a standing version.

Ahhh I see above about the trainer for the row. Yes I would think keeping you head up would be better. I thought something seemed a little off and I think keeping your head up will keep your upper back tighter. Try and maintain an arch during the movement, I think this is what looked off.

Btw I don't think anyone commented on the dumbbell press's you posted last week. As I have said before I am not an expert in giving technique advice, and only notice when big things are wrong, however the videos looked good to me and I couldn't see anything that stood out as being bad.

I looked at the deadlift again and I am sure there is something I can't put my finger on. I am formulating an idea but I don't want to say anything incase I am wrong. We'll try and get Effort to take a look at it and see what he thinks. Edit- I added about the arch thing above and it is the same kind of deal here, but I won't say anymore right now.

And it is deadlift on Friday, not squat :)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JohnnyIrish said:
Thanks, I'll use the alternate grip Friday.

btw- i-tallion: I added up the plates + the bar weight (45lbs) when I calculate the weight.

Today:

Squat (ATG) 2x5:
bar x 10
85 x 6
115 x 1
165 x 5
165 x 5

/\ I added 20lbs this week. Damn this was tough. I also concentrated to make sure to push with the heel of my foot, not the ball of my foot.

Pullthroughs 3 x 10:
42.5 x 10
42.5 x 10
42.5 x 10

/\ Worked my lower back good.

Chest supported Row 4 x 8:
bar x 10
20 x 6
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8
45 x 8

/\ Notes and the link to this video are below.

Hammer curls 3 x 8
30 x 8
30 x 6
30 x 6

/\ I can do 3 sets of 8 with my right hand.. but my left hand's grip fails at 6 with the second and third set. Is there something I can do to work grip specifically?

Calf Raises 3 x 15:
50 x 10
90 x 6
130 x 15
130 x 15
130 x 15

/\ Ok this exercise kicks my ass. I don't feel like I'm making much if any progress.. except for the fact that I was finally able to do 3 sets of 15 of the SAME weight this time (and barely.. It was burning after the second set so I waited 5min for the burning to subside). I guess its natural? *shrugs* Doing 45 reps vs doing 20 which I was doing before is more then twice the amount so I guess I will get use to it in time.

New video:
Chest Supported Rows Now this was my second set of 4. The trainer who was nice enough to vid this for me then told me to instead of having my head down (I looked like I was kissing the weight in the vid.. wtf) to have it up high. I tried this for my third and fourth set and I could definitely feel it much more in my lats. Is that the proper way to do it?
Listen to the trainer on that one for now with the rows. Once the weight goes up it'll get harder to maintain a good form on that machine though.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Quagmire and Effort. I'll keep that in mind when I do deads next. I thought I did them Friday.. but I confused that with the previous routine I was on. With this routine my next deads are next Friday. I should by then be able to do 200lbs no sweat. :)

Today:
fasted* HIIT on elliptical: 5 min warm up, 1 min on, 1 min off for 15 min (8 intervals), spd kept at 10+ this time. My HR got up to 175 around the last few intervals.

Yesterday:

Barbell Bench press: 3x5
bar x 10
75 x 6
105 x 1
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

/\ The second and third sets were real tough.. Also the last rep I almost didn't get up. I forsee PRing here next week. Ok.. I still haven't implemented the powerlifting arch but I will.. soon. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.. after my cardio with some light weight on the bench. Any sites you recommend for attaining good form with a power lifting arch?

Incline Dumbbell bench press: 4 x 8
80 x 8
80 x 8
80 x 8
80 x 8

/\ Adding reps last week so I could add weight this week worked nicely.

Dumbbell shoulder press: 3 x 8
50 x 8
50 x 7 (fail)
50 x 6 (fail)
40 x 6 (fail)

/\ Ok I know I'm not supposed to work till failure.. but I didn't make any progress on this exercise since last week. Since I couldn't do any more weight.. or reps.. I added another dropset this week. Hoping it'll allow me to add reps next week.

Skill crushers: 3 x 10
50 x 10
50 x 9 (failed)
40 x 10

/\ My left Tri was really feeling it.

Abdominal Crunch: 3 x 10
140 x 10
140 x 10
125 x 10

/\ Turns out the seat on this machine moves when I use it.. so I'll instead try doing crunches on say a decline bench next abs day. That won't move. :)

Questions:
1) Is it normal to have ones quads burn/feel it when doing crunches? Mine were.
2) I added a extra set to the dumbbell shoulder press so as to try to be able to then increase either reps or weight next week. Is that a valid way to go? (I.E. if you can't add weight, or reps in a set.. then add another set?)

Last edited:

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've given you these two on page 7:

Bench threads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqWaEnd98A
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....e=body_115b600

As for question one that would suggest that you are using your legs more than your abs. Try and find a different exercise. I have the problem where I can't seem to find a decent exercise for abs.

As for question 2, just keep things the way they are in the program. I wouldn't add in extra sets. If you didn't make all the reps in the later sets you should drop the weight a bit. Looking back over your log you are going up too fast on dumbbell shoulder press. You have nearly doubled the weight you are using. You actually got a rep more this week. I think you should drop to 45 if you can and go for 3x8. Once you get all 8 in every set, the week after do 3x10, and once you get that up the weight 5 again and go for 3x8. You cannot add 10 every week, especially on DB's.

And you meant thanks Effort, not Thottle.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I've given you these two on page 7:

Bench threads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqWaEnd98A
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....e=body_115b600

As for question one that would suggest that you are using your legs more than your abs. Try and find a different exercise. I have the problem where I can't seem to find a decent exercise for abs.

As for question 2, just keep things the way they are in the program. I wouldn't add in extra sets. If you didn't make all the reps in the later sets you should drop the weight a bit. Looking back over your log you are going up too fast on dumbbell shoulder press. You have nearly doubled the weight you are using. You actually got a rep more this week. I think you should drop to 45 if you can and go for 3x8. Once you get all 8 in every set, the week after do 3x10, and once you get that up the weight 5 again and go for 3x8. You cannot add 10 every week, especially on DB's.

And you meant thanks Effort, not Thottle.
I knew I saw it somewhere but didn't remember where and it was my own workout thread no less. My mistake.

As for my abs, I'll try doing crunches on the decline bench and see how that goes next abs day maybe that'll be better.

As for the dumbbell shoulder press.. the dumbells at my gym are all multiples of 5lbs.. and seeing how I can't increase one dumbell 5lbs and not the other.. This leaves me with having to up the weight at 10lb intervals. So its either 40 or 50.. Maybe dropsets are an answer/compromise here?.. That or I'll just go down to 40lbs (20 each hand) and do 10-12reps each set.. then up the weight the following week and lower the reps as you suggested.

I fixed the names, thanks.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know where you got this drop set stuff in your head.

Do it like this:

Say you get 3x8 with the 40's.
Next week work up to 3x10 or 3x12, once you hit 3x12, go up to the 50's and so forth.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just pick a weight that you can do ALL the sets with WITHOUT failing. Adding weight to accessory lifts isn't something to worry about. Just focus on pushing more weight on your MAIN lifts. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to always up weight on accesory work since as your lifting more weight on your main lifts you'll be more fatigued for your accessory work. The interesting thing is in 6months you'll look at your accessory lifts numbers and they'll all be WAY higher without you even focusing on increasing them, it just happens.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
I don't know where you got this drop set stuff in your head.

Do it like this:

Say you get 3x8 with the 40's.
Next week work up to 3x10 or 3x12, once you hit 3x12, go up to the 50's and so forth.
I see the logical progression there. I'll do as ya suggest, thanks again Quagmire.

So are dropsets not good or am I just misplacing their use?

As for where did I get it from.. its from what I know of how to lift. Such as while a lot of the new things I've learned have overwritten what I thought I was correct from the past.. there are some areas I haven't overwritten yet because well.. I don't know they are wrong yet. So I'm guessing this is one of those.

EFFORT said:
Just pick a weight that you can do ALL the sets with WITHOUT failing. Adding weight to accessory lifts isn't something to worry about. Just focus on pushing more weight on your MAIN lifts. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to always up weight on accesory work since as your lifting more weight on your main lifts you'll be more fatigued for your accessory work. The interesting thing is in 6months you'll look at your accessory lifts numbers and they'll all be WAY higher without you even focusing on increasing them, it just happens.
Its the whole noobie gains thing.. I'm just use to seeing all the numbers raise. Thanks for the guidance so I don't end up over complicating things or worrying about things that I don't need to worry about (which I was). :) Correction made.

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
JohnnyIrish said:
I see the logical progression there. I'll do as ya suggest, thanks again Quagmire.

So are dropsets not good or am I just misplacing their use?

As for where did I get it from.. its from what I know of how to lift. Such as while a lot of the new things I've learned have overwritten what I thought I was correct from the past.. there are some areas I haven't overwritten yet because well.. I don't know they are wrong yet. So I'm guessing this is one of those.
With DBs the jumps are quite a lot, so the idea is that if you build the reps up with a given dumbell to say 12, then once you increase the weight, you'll be able to get about 7-8 reps on it. Whereas if you just did 3 x 8 then jumped, the next weight would be a real struggle, maybe 3-4 reps.

As for dropsets, they are very good, but the workouts you are doing now are focusing on getting your lifts higher rather than burning out the muscle with intensity methods. That's more of an advanced BBing technique, but at this stage it's about keeping it simple. I used drop sets quite a lot and I think it's a good way of really wearing down the fibres. But not on legs, that's hard enough as it is lol.

Edit: As for quads burning a bit when doing ab work, yes I do actually get them a bit, thought it was just me. I think it's because they are tensed up when you're doing ab work and act as a stabilizer, so when they relax when the set is done, there's a bit of burn there.

MM

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quagmire911 said:
The dropset in this application was unnecessary.
Ahh, after doing some more reading I see a dropset involves going to failure. As I'm not supposed to be going to failure in this new routine I see where its out of place.

Today:
fasted* steady state treadmill cardio: 45 min, spd 3, incline 4.5