job offer--->negotiation

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well after close to 1000 job applications sent and a temporary contract position i've finally gotten an offer for a position in NYC.

Apparently the guy really likes me. He's showed me alot of interest since our first interview.

I've picked up alot on interviewing skills and unique questions to ask. At our first interview i asked how many positions were open in which my interviewer/hiring manager said initially one but between the two of us possibly two.

that was the first sign.

The second sign was when we phoned me to arrange a second interview. He informed me that i would be speaking to his colleagues in Hong Kong not necessarily to test my language skills but to get a feel of me. He told me there was nothing to worry about and that there are 3 candidates and he would probably put me ontop of the list. The second interview went well and a day later i was offered the position and sent an offer letter. They asked for my salary range which i said "around the 40k range." my fault for not being too specific but i meant in the 40's.

I am being offered 40k exactly in which i think is fine but not fine for living in NYC or for a position in NYC. I've checked around and apparently this position within the company pays 36-40k and i am being offered the highend but with my current expenses and student loans which start once i start this position i really need more.

I've had an internship, finaled in business competitions, and recently held a 6 month contract position at a large well established financial corporation and my past position deals with exactly what i would be doing now. So i feel i would pick up fast and do my work well. I would like to ask for 5k more and would except anything above 40k. anyone know exactly how i would approach this?

He wanted me to close the deal fast and told me he's going on vacation early next week i believe or even this weekend. I was thinking about shooting him an email telling him thank you blah blah blah and then ask if i could arrange a meeting with him to go over a few things discussed in the offer whenever he was available either b4 or after the vacation. The position starts in 2.5 weeks and he goes on a 2week vacay soon. so i think i should close it earlier and have it settled because closing it the day b4 work or the day of work would be hard. i also need to give me current employer notice and i don't want to do so unless i'm certain.

any idea's how to negotiate salary?

Things i've planned to say are my skills and experience in dealing with this particular kind of work, My unique and diverse language skills, as well as a higher salary for me to move closer to work so i can be more accessible to the company.

-AAA

COD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ah the art of negociatiion works well when in a relationship and while job prospecting.........lets see if I can find my old post..........

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell him you are excited to work for his company, but after looking for a place to live, you realize that the salary they offered will never be able to pay your rent. Ask to sleep on his couch. Make him wonder if you are kidding.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think that joke is overboard. it would basically be saying "are you retarded, how can anyone survive with that pay." It's survivable just wouldn't leave me with much left over if i decided to live in the city or even anywhere around it.

I think'd it'd be alright if i was close with him though which i'm not as of yet.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if i have to pay around 800+ for rent and 1200 for student loans. then there's food, utilities, travel expenses, dryclean and the other etc. stuff. i might not make it with just 40k a month which equates to about $2500 after taxes a month.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yep.it was more like a private loan.

TurboLover

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't meantion anything that has to do with lifestyle or cost of living, etc. Your goal is to prove that you are worth the extra amount your asking for and that is if you even want the position. That much in NYC it real tight.

Good Luck.

j0n24

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn for real 1200 a month for student loans that rack up interest?! What the hell how many classes are you taking 12?

Also 800 a month just for a ****ty apt?!!

I pay that monthly but on my LAND payment and I have 8 acres!

I feel happy I dont have hugeass bills like that haha.

I think you should just tell him flat out though no sense in beating around the bush. The guy knows as well as you known how moronic expensive it is to live in that city so just tell him that.

5string

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My first job right out of college paid 14K (I know, I'm old). When I interviewed for my second job, they offered just a bit more. I just told them that I would like to have 18K, which was a huge bump back then. They agreed. I have been with the company now for 27 yrs. You don't need to explain why you need more. You just need to tell them that 45K is what you would like to have and that you are excited at the prospect of working for them. My bet is they will pay it.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You are 23 years old with very little experience. You have no room to negotiate.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
if i have to pay around 800+ for rent and 1200 for student loans. then there's food, utilities, travel expenses, dryclean and the other etc. stuff. i might not make it with just 40k a month which equates to about $2500 after taxes a month.
Based upon the spending of my life last year ( down to the dollar), assuming what you said and if you have to make car payments of 150 per month, the net cash flow would be over ($-1,000) on average per month for the entire year. When I mention my spending habits, I mean everything from rent to spending money on the girlfriend, basically a normal life. Take out the car payment, and its ($-879) monthly.

The student loans are large, but you can control what you pay on rent. Figure on reducing that if you can. Everything else factored into the number I mentioned could be reduced too, but some of the necessities can not.

best of luck!

*accountants don't eviscerate me. I realize that by doing (-X) actually results in a net positive value when i meant to denote negative cash flow! you have been told!

Inquisitus

Don Juan
Reaction score
5string said:
You don't need to explain why you need more. You just need to tell them that 45K is what you would like to have and that you are excited at the prospect of working for them. My bet is they will pay it.
This. It's like make the ho say no.

Your other option, which i did, was to say take an offer now with a caveat that your compensation will be re-examined in six months or so for an increase to 45K based on performance. Get that in writing

Employers expect to negotiate for people they want but will try to get you for as little as they can get. It doesn't hurt to ask.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well i talked it over with my manager's manager. he was real cool. i didn't get a raise but there will be my first performance review at 3 months where if i do a good job i will be bumped to 42k. then another review at the end of the year not including bonus.

i just lowered my monthly loan payments to about 600. there was no way i was going to make it by with that 1200 chunk taken out.