Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Jealous male friend? Can that even exist?

AlNess

Banned
Reaction score
I figured being jealous of friends was a female trait, but I'm not sure what to make of this. My oldest friend, whom I've known since we were 4 or 5 (I'm 39 now) seems to not want to have anything to do with me these days, though I have no idea why. I haven't done anything to him, nor have we had any fight.

Background: we lived in the same building as kids, then I left the state at 12. We always kept in touch. Twenty years ago, he wound up moving with his family near me by coincidence, and we immediately began hanging out again. He seemed genuinely glad about this.

When it's been just us two hanging out, things were fine. When one or more people entered the mix, though, he'd resort to this seemingly "nervous" comedy routine in which he'd continuously make wisecracks about me, passing it off as "friendly jabs." I took it as such early on and played along, cracking on him in return, no big deal. He never did this when we were kids. Friends of mine I'd introduce him to would get annoyed by him after a while. As we got older, so did his routine. I was well over it, but he kept on. In any group situation, he felt a need to "perform" at my expense. One time, he took things a bit too far, with his "friendly" routine crossing into disrespect, and I lost my cool in front of our group. He apologized that time and cut the crap, but he was back at it next time. He kept this up until the very last time I saw him a couple of years ago, when my fiance and I met with him and his girlfriend for dinner. All I wanted to do was hang out and have normal adult conversation, and he was just interested in a pissing contest.

Chalking up his behavior as a response to some kind of insecurity, I still asked him to be best man at my wedding. After all, I had known him over 30 years, longer than any other friend. A year and a half passed, and he was still to be best man; then 3 weeks before the wedding, he tells me he can't do it because he was likely going to be out of state looking for work (at the time of the wedding, he had been out of work for about a year). That was disappointing, but I know long-term unemployment calls for drastic measures sometimes. Fair enough. However, I got no congratulations from him, be it by phone or at least text or email. He knew the wedding date.

Later on, when I found out my wife was pregnant with our daughter, I called to tell him the good news. He responded with a terse "congratulations," then told me he had to go because he was gassing up his car. Since my daughter was born 14 months ago, I've posted a ton of pics of her to my Facebook, which this guy is on...so he's definitely seen pics of her; but never has he written me a single word about her.

Strange thing is that I remember times we've hung out alone and he's given me props, be it for my guitar playing (he once made a little spectacle of himself with his "jab comedy" routine at my expense while at a gig of mine I invited him to, but left before my band even hit the stage)...the fact that I landed a beautiful, smart family-minded conservative woman....my progress in the gym, etc. I've always towered over him in height, and he's quite overweight. He's been in a LTR with a single mom for 7 or so years, told me he doesn't even like her child. We've both got Master's degrees, but he was in his MBA program first and once belittled me a bit with that in front of a friend of mine because at the time I still only had my BA.

I've done nothing but live my life and strive for better, so wtf is going on? This isn't some chick I met a month ago at a club...this is a longtime friend since childhood, and friendship has always meant a lot to me. I've texted this dude a couple of times these last few months, to no acknowledgment. I don't get it.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1984544&postcount=10

nothing you can do about it. he's not even a bad guy it's just a coping mechanism that BETA males use to rationalize the lives they live.

Pretty much exacltly what happened to my 2 best friends. When I was the third wheel i couldn't get rid of them. Once I got out on my own and surpassed them in well.. life lol, our relationship feel apart.

It's a rare guy that can be around a really successful guy and not be jealous or spiteful. Water finds it's level. You need to find yours, this guy is telling you that you have rose past his.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear ALNess,
I think most of the Older posters here could identify with your experience....Upsetting as it is,just smile and back away,leave him for a while....It's surprising how the years can smooth the rough edges off people and mellow them...another ten years is nothing in a long life,and old mates share common experiences,much deeper and more powerful than the acquaintances who pass in and out of the passing parade.

AlNess

Banned
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1984544&postcount=10

nothing you can do about it. he's not even a bad guy it's just a coping mechanism that BETA males use to rationalize the lives they live.

Pretty much exacltly what happened to my 2 best friends. When I was the third wheel i couldn't get rid of them. Once I got out on my own and surpassed them in well.. life lol, our relationship feel apart.

It's a rare guy that can be around a really successful guy and not be jealous or spiteful. Water finds it's level. You need to find yours, this guy is telling you that you have rose past his.
He's definitely not a bad guy at all, but I don't see how deleting a lifelong friend from his life will help him cope with where he is in his life. There were times when he was doing better than me job-wise, financially, and girl-wise, yet I never felt spiteful or jealous; in fact, I was supportive and happy for him.

I remember calling him one day a few months before the wedding, just to say "what's up"...and he mentioned something to the effect of "the tables having turned," citing how he had already been out of work for a long time, was living with his mom and on the verge of running out of unemployment benefits, and was still not engaged to his single mom girlfriend of 4 years...whereas I was gainfully employed, had gotten an advanced degree around that time, and was marrying a beautiful, awesome woman with no baggage (I introduced her to him about two years before that, and the day after the introduction he told me she really seemed like keeper wife material with great values; something he never said about any previous gf's of mine he had met). I thought nothing about his "tables" comment, figuring that's just indicative of how we all have our ups and downs in life; I had no idea it would lead him to jealousy and erasing me from his life. This feels worse than any dump I've ever gotten from an ex-gf.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlNess said:
He's definitely not a bad guy at all, but I don't see how deleting a lifelong friend from his life will help him cope with where he is in his life. There were times when he was doing better than me job-wise, financially, and girl-wise, yet I never felt spiteful or jealous; in fact, I was supportive and happy for him. .

AlNess, I can relate to this thread, having a very successful life long friend whom I having spoken with in a couple of years now. We took different paths in life a few years ago. He pursued a family, a very successful career, etc. I chose a path of being single free, and have a career that is only successful because I enjoy it so much.

The last time I talked with my friend, a 20 minute conversation, was all about how great and successful he was. Not once did he ask what was going on with my life. It was a one sided conversation.

The other issue, the main one, is that his wife doesn't like me. :) Somehow, she views me as a threat. My buddy is a bit ***** whipped. He's happy, has a nice family, that's all that I care about.

It's possible your friends girlfriend is encouraging and manipulating him to view your friendship as some form of competition.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You tend to outgrow friends as life changes. they can still be friends, just not as close.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AllNess said:
I don't see how deleting a lifelong friend from his life will help him cope with where he is in his life.
Everybody copes in their own way. Seeing you with a better job, a good wife, and in better shape than he is probably makes him realize what a failure he's turned out to be. Especially since he's used to having the upper hand, but now everything has crashed down around him.

I would be there for a friend if he wants it, and try not to shove what you have in his face, even by accident. But if he wants his space, let him have it.

Mr. Positive said:
The other issue, the main one, is that his wife doesn't like me. Somehow, she views me as a threat.
I could understand that she might view you as a bad influence, whether that's true or not. If you have a philosophy of womanizing, and going out to drink and pickup women regularly, she probably thinks her husband might get sucked into it along with you.

AlNess

Banned
Reaction score
sodbuster said:
You tend to outgrow friends as life changes. they can still be friends, just not as close.
Drifting apart as life changes but still remaining friends is one thing, and I can appreciate that. My circle of friends began drifting apart to an extent years ago as we got older and took on different paths in life. That's to be expected, though what I never expected was complete avoidance like I have seen from this one particular (former) friend I wrote about. To never answer the phone in a caller ID era or answer texts, and to not even drop a simple "congratulations" after the birth of one's first child is just downright dismissive.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
this is the way i see it.

at least one of my 2 friends i am quite sure is pretty happy with his life. isn't it quite selfish of you to demand that your friends only be happy by your definition of happiness?

that's what you are saying when you are hanging on to a friend who wants to go on a separate direction. friends, like girls, drift apart. just beucase he wants to do something else that doesn't' involve you doesn't' mean he's a bad guy. it also doesn't mean he's not happy.

would i like my best friend back in my life? i would give almost anything for that to happen. almost. but not if if's going to make him or myself any unhappier than we are now. that's the most important thing.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlNess said:
He's definitely not a bad guy at all,

I remember calling him one day a few months before the wedding, just to say "what's up"...and he mentioned something to the effect of "the tables having turned," citing how he had already been out of work for a long time, was living with his mom and on the verge of running out of unemployment benefits, and was still not engaged to his single mom girlfriend of 4 years...whereas I was gainfully employed, had gotten an advanced degree around that time, and was marrying a beautiful, awesome woman with no baggage (.
Jealousy is a biyach man it can hit anyone

But frankly I think your friend is a bad guy and you are well rid of him...if he mentally formulated the thought 'the table has turned'....that means the depth of his jealousy is very very deep....that is a very cvnty thing to say

this is no surprise.

jealous faggot males are increasing by the day and their numbers are only going up...as happiness and stability are growing more elusive due to our crumbling economy those who find it will only be more and more hated.

AlNess

Banned
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
isn't it quite selfish of you to demand that your friends only be happy by your definition of happiness?
I've never demanded or expected that. Granted, he was quite down in his life the last few times we spoke, with unemployment, dismal job prospects, bills falling way behind, etc, and I can't expect anyone to be happy in such a situation. But it's not as if I ever assumed that he'd be unhappy in his life unless he was doing all of the things that I was doing.

just beucase he wants to do something else that doesn't' involve you doesn't' mean he's a bad guy. it also doesn't mean he's not happy.
I don't know how much his situation has changed or what direction it's taken since we last spoke nearly two years ago, but that's just it: I have no idea because he has made an obvious effort to avoid me. But no matter how different a road his life has taken compared to mine, could it ever be that drastic so as to stop a lifelong friend from simply returning a call, or congratulating the other person on becoming a dad? It's not as if I was expecting him to include me in his day-to-day life.

would i like my best friend back in my life? i would give almost anything for that to happen. almost. but not if if's going to make him or myself any unhappier than we are now. that's the most important thing.
In my situation, I honestly cannot see how still keeping in touch would make me or my friend unhappier with our lives. You're not really rattling someone's life by calling once in a while to just say "whats up" and catch up on things.

Boilermaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP> Seems to me you are constantly doing the comparison with this guy to feel good about yourself.

Why do you keep mentioning his hardships while exaggerating your own circumstances? It's disgusting.

If you truly care for this guy, you will condone his behavior. It's immaturity + life making him bitter.

It looks like you have something against him also. Why are you embarrassing him in his absence to strangers?

Care for him? Forgive him, keep him at a distance and move on.
Hate him ? Stop making us a part of this sh!t. Don't know what you are asking exactly.

AlNess

Banned
Reaction score
Boilermaker said:
OP> Seems to me you are constantly doing the comparison with this guy to feel good about yourself.

Why do you keep mentioning his hardships while exaggerating your own circumstances? It's disgusting.

If you truly care for this guy, you will condone his behavior. It's immaturity + life making him bitter.

It looks like you have something against him also. Why are you embarrassing him in his absence to strangers?
I guess you didn't quite read the original post all that well, for you'd see I had no problem mentioning how there were times he was doing well in various aspects of his life, whereas I wasn't.

I have nothing against him. I have something against his actions. And there's no way I can "embarrass him in his absence to strangers." Does he feel embarrassed?

Care for him? Forgive him, keep him at a distance and move on.
Hate him ? Stop making us a part of this sh!t. Don't know what you are asking exactly.
Don't like the thread? Don't bother reading and responding.

AlNess

Banned
Reaction score
Burroughs said:
Jealousy is a biyach man it can hit anyone

But frankly I think your friend is a bad guy and you are well rid of him...if he mentally formulated the thought 'the table has turned'....that means the depth of his jealousy is very very deep....that is a very cvnty thing to say

this is no surprise.

jealous faggot males are increasing by the day and their numbers are only going up...as happiness and stability are growing more elusive due to our crumbling economy those who find it will only be more and more hated.
The more I think about it, I ultimately have to agree with the above, disappointing as it is. As much as I've given my former friend the benefit of the doubt and tried to deny the possibility of him being jealous, it's hard for me to ignore the many occasions in which he attempted to ridicule me in front of others for their approval in the form of laughs at my expense. Hell, the night of my old band's gig I mentioned before, I had friends telling me they could see how it bugged him that I'd have a stage to be heard from and seen on that night (not that I was playing Wembley Stadium or anything), and he didn't...so he had to create his own little "performance" as some passive-aggressive defense mechanism (rather than stick around for the show and support me like my real friends did). I just always viewed jealousy as a behavior reserved for catty females, and I thought that he was way better than this.

Looking back, I was a chump to have been the good friend I was, being there for him to celebrate great moments of his (such as attending his MBA graduation he invited me to). Lesson well-learned...

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I remember a year or two back on this website I posted a really long rant on how I was finally improving in multiple areas of my life and was getting some success and all of a sudden some of my best male friends were becoming insecure and very argumentative with me over every aspect. Or becoming passive aggressive. I didn't understand what was happening then but your post is probably it.

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This kinda thing is a bytch, unfortunately its happened to me a few times...
I have just cut ties with these people. Over the years, I see them occasionally, they are always decent to talk to now, and they always wanna get back together. I politely avoid them, after all if they were a problem once they would be again. Sometimes we do outgrow people, and sometimes we hang on to friendships that aren't really fair to us, but we feel obligated because we known them so long. I had the devil of a time with this, and its bothering me right now, as my wife had me in a situation with her friends, who for whatever reason, like to do that to me. I am now ignoring them, as well as my wife, for I have outgrown them all. Life is a biyatch sometimes, but remember everything happens for a reason.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:
I remember a year or two back on this website I posted a really long rant on how I was finally improving in multiple areas of my life and was getting some success and all of a sudden some of my best male friends were becoming insecure and very argumentative with me over every aspect. Or becoming passive aggressive. I didn't understand what was happening then but your post is probably it.
Actually yesterday I ran into someone who I go to AA meetings with in a store and we go to talking and she casually mentioned to me that some of the guys in the AA meeting dont' like me beucase I "talk to much".

which i really don't. at least I dont' think I do. I don't talk any more or any less than the next guy does, in fact i make it a point to be precise and get to the point as I don't like guys who go on for 10 minute tangents in meetings about nothing

see it's not that i talk too much.. it's that when i do talk, for whatever the reason may be, those guys see me as a threat. A threat to what I don't know but still. I try not to judge or compare but there is something about what I am doing that when it manifests itself in my speech rubs some the wrong way and their inner defense ego protection mechanism automatically starts to look for things about me they don't like to discredit the things I say or do.

I mean, i really don't care either way, but it drives home the point of the OP and my point in general.. there aren't any GIRLS up there that don't like me i dont' thin.. i mean i don't care if they do and i'm not saying they all want to **** backbreaker I'm just saying it's a group of guys specifically, a little clique of guys who have

I am not a shrink or anytihng but i hae a theory on stuff like this.. i think people by the age of ... their early 20's start to level off and see where they fit in with life. people in life, generally find their level. any one who is out of your level you are going to try to discredit, and anyone lower than your level most people will try to make themselves better than. if a girl who is smoking hot won't give you the time of day she's a ****/prude/*****, if a guy who is probably more intelligent than you are is around he's a smart ass or arrogant, but if a guy around you doesn't have the education level you have he's a loser.

everyone, in general wants to feel like they are on the best/right path in life and will vigorously defend that path to the death, even friends.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have the same type problem with a few of my high school friends. Friendships just end sometimes. It is what it is.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlNess said:
As much as I've given my former friend the benefit of the doubt and tried to deny the possibility of him being jealous, it's hard for me to ignore the many occasions in which he attempted to ridicule me in front of others for their approval in the form of laughs at my expense.

Looking back, I was a chump to have been the good friend I was, being there for him to celebrate great moments of his (such as attending his MBA graduation he invited me to). Lesson well-learned...
I had to terminate a friendship like this. Time spent together isn't justifiable for keeping a friend around if they're not being a friend. It's like marrying the person who raped you because they've been having sex with you for years.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bottom line is your friend is a tool. he just has self esteem issues, it is what it is.

no biggie. just hang with him on very few occasions, not much else you can do.