Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I've lost it all and need help rebuilding my life

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take a break, turn the engines off, refuel and reset your mind.

Do something else with your life until you're ready to come back to it.

I've been in a similar situation of hitting pretty much rock bottom and finding it hard to pull out of it.

The only thing that worked was to purposefully avoid parts of my life until I really wanted them back. Once you REALLY want to get back to being the man you are inside, that is when you flip the switch and turn the engines back on.

Right now it sounds like you aren't really ready to turn things around, part of you wants to get back what you had, part of you doesn't. Struggling to get your life going again will be torturous until you have that desire again, and you won't get that desire by struggling along.

So yeah, take a break(from the gym, from your modelling, from your graphic design, everything). It could be two weeks, two months, or a year till you're ready to go again.

Until then, take a hiatus and try to address the things holding you back.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey bro, I'm glad to see you're still kicking despite everything you wrote. Like yourself, I haven't been active on these boards (altho I do read them every now and then)

The unfortunate thing about bad events is that sometimes they can pile up in a short period of time. It's hard enough multi-taking life's tasks when everything is going good, let alone when it's something like you're going through.

The only thing you really can do is focus on each problem at a time, and prioritize them.

first of all:

Just a few years ago I was on top of my game. I was popular, good looking, in good shape, I did some modelling and dated some models. I became successful in my career and met the girl I planned to marry. I guess I reached the point most people here strive for.
You know what man, you've done it once. You can do it again. You know what it took to get there the first time, you remember the formula for success, it's time to go back to the basics.

Like many people, I became a victim of the recession and lost my job as a graphic designer/artist. I took the opportunity to start working for myself and all was great for a few months, then work dried up and it was back to the job hunting. I’ve worked in design most of my life, I have a degree, so it should be easy enough I thought. I was so wrong. Companies I applied to were going under or cutting their budget and wanted a designer who could also do the work of a programmer. I dropped my standards lower and lower, found myself loading lorrys or doing part time packing jobs just to make ends meet.

Listen to me, you didn't drop your standards, you got in touch with your survival instinct and did the right thing any man would do in your position. At the end of the day, you are a product of your time era and enivornment, and right now the environment we live in is not the one we hoped it would be. My friend, there are engineers who leave their countries to come work in Canada / US as pizza delivery guys because of language barriers. You have to keep your head above the water no matter what.

And you know what?

If you haven't realized it yet, you will realize it once you overcome this. Events like this are what makes you the man you're gonna be for the rest of your life. And you are a man. It's in your nature to overcome obstacles, and learn from them, my friend. Being in shape and hooking up with models is a nice status to have, but as you are probably aware, it's not enough. You still haven't reached your peak, but you will after this. Your real value will come when you regain what you have lost, while at the same time developing the mental fortitude to survive bad times like this when they happen again.

Meanwhile, my friend and I were walking home one evening when a group of guys attacked us, demanding our wallets. I fought back and stood my ground, then one of them pulled a knife on me. I sent my friend for help, but none came. The guys beat me and restrained me, while one of them held the knife to my throat and said he was going to stab me to death. Thankfully I was able to kick free and run for it. My friend was talking to the police when I found him (typical UK police didn’t think to come and save me). They took details of what happened but because I couldn’t give them a detailed description of the knife, they said they couldn’t report it.

I came away with only minor physical injuries, but a lot of psychological ones. It’s hard for a grown man like me to admit this, but it has left me scared and bitter. It has made me realise that anyone can get attacked and killed for no reason, and that the police are not there to protect us. Whenever I’m out and I see a group of guys approaching, I start to panic.

I started avoiding going out unless absolutely necessary and spent most of my time indoors working or studying, hoping to improve my career prospects.
For something like this man, I am really not qualified to give you advice. As someone mentioned earlier, this is definetly something I'd seek a professional for, but now is not the time. You have more pressing concerns to focus on (as you're probably aware).

I lost touch with all my friends and when my girlfriend would come over to see me, we’d just stay in and watch films. We planned to move in together last year, but I couldn’t afford it and had to let her down. We were hoping to get married this year, but I couldn’t afford that either. Then out of the blue, she decides she can’t be with me any more. After 5 years together, it’s over, just like that.
At the end of the day bro, you should never distance yourself from REAL friends. I can understand distancing yourself from people you used to go out with and were a part of your old lifestyle. Women come and go, jobs come and go, but true friends will always have your back. But if you haven't already, reconnect with your real bros.

Now, to the relationship. My friend, you dodged a bullet. Earlier I wrote to you how men develop during hard times, and become people they will be for the rest of their lives. Just the same, a real woman supports a man through times like this, and stands by his side. You are LUCKY that this happened now, rather then years down the road when you were married, shared kids and assets with this girl. The first moment of hardship that popped along then, she would have bounced just like she did now. Keep your head up man, this was not the girl that would have stayed by your side thru thick and thin.

It hit me hard, I lost a lot of weight and went from a bodybuilder’s physique to being quite thin and feeble. I’ve tried to remain optimistic, knowing that one day I will meet someone else. I slept with one girl on the rebound and felt awful afterwards. A few weeks ago I went on 2 dates, neither of which wanted to see me again. Then just last week I went on a date with a woman my friend set me up with. An hour into the date she left “to make a call” and never came back. It was so humiliating and hurtful, sitting there on my own. I never thought I’d be “that guy”.
Forget about your bodybuilding days for a sec. Do you remember what you were like before you discovered your first barbell? You did it once man, you can do it again. Unless you were a born a mesomorph, you will relapse every now and then when it comes to physical fitness. But you know the formula. You know how to train, and what to eat. And on top of it, you have all this bad sh!t to motivate you.

5 years and she left you like that? I can't think of a better motivator. Self-improvement is the greatest form of vengeance.

I’ve tried to remain optimistic, knowing that one day I will meet someone else. I slept with one girl on the rebound and felt awful afterwards. A few weeks ago I went on 2 dates, neither of which wanted to see me again. Then just last week I went on a date with a woman my friend set me up with. An hour into the date she left “to make a call” and never came back. It was so humiliating and hurtful, sitting there on my own. I never thought I’d be “that guy”.
A guy gets into a car accident, survives and gets released from a hospital. He can barely walk, but decides to overcome his injury by trying to run. What happens? He falls and injures himself further. It's the same with you.

Listen bro, if this woman leaving you was your only problem, that rebound would have prolly made you feel better. But the truth of the matter is, you took a lot of damage from different sources and now is the time you should be resting and getting your strength back through self-improvement.

I’m getting deeper into debt and it looks like I will have to move in with my parents soon.
Do what needs to be done man. This economic state wont last forever, we will eventually overcome it. Buy yourself time for now.

I have hit rock bottom and I just don’t know how to recover. I try to think positive every day, I spend my free time studying and looking for work, and I’ve started getting back into my gym routine. People keep telling me I need to be happy with myself, but this cannot be fixed by a mere state of mind or some positive affirmations. I’ve done really well coping with my break up and I’m still a fairly confident and charismatic guy.
Thinking positive helps, but it's hard to maintain 24-7. At the end of the day, sometimes you need to think less, and keep it simple. Focus on basic goals (whether financial or fitness), and work at them. Don't try to do too much at once, or bite off more then you can chew. And don't try to run when you should be walking slowly.

One time I was reading this story about how Arnold Schwarzenegger and this other bodybuilder were working out, and the guy said to Arnold "I can't believe we still have 20 sets to go through". And Arnold replied "No, we only have one. The next one". And he went back to his workout.

One day at a time, my friend.

-Mind

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thank you guys very much for your great insight and motivation. I am really starting to feel more positive now, started taking action and already feel in a better frame of mind.

I'm making the most of my free time, training in design and working towards a better and more comprehensive portfolio. I've been reading some books and inspiring posts on here, I've made an effort to improve my diet, my appearance and started to get serious about the gym. I'm already feeling a lot better mentally and physically. I think I may have got a little complacent, too quick to blame external causes and started to adopt a victim mentality. I realise things won't change overnight, but knowing I'm on the right path and moving forward feels like I have some power over my destiny again.

Mindovermatter: I really appreciate you taking time to write that long response. You were a big inspiration to me when I originally came to this forum and your post here speaks volumes. Sometimes I can be hard on myself when I fail, consider myself a loser and it's so reassuring to get some objective encouragement.

5 years and she left you like that? I can't think of a better motivator. Self-improvement is the greatest form of vengeance.
So right! A girl that won't stick with me through hard times is clearly not relationship material and, like you say, better I found out now. And yes, I find this really motivating. Looking at the positives, it has brought me back here which in turn has motivated me to get back on the right path.

Do what needs to be done man. This economic state wont last forever, we will eventually overcome it. Buy yourself time for now.
Very true. I'm getting by right now, but am preparing myself, studying hard so when things improve I'm going to be in the best position I can be in.

Thanks again Mind and everyone else who responded to this post. Hopefully I'll have a positive outcome to tell you all about not too long from now. :)

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Let us know how you're doing man. Take care.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Allow me to share with you a passage from a favorite book of mine, Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet. I discovered it when I was at the bottom of a barrel, I hope you get the opportunity to read it as well.

'Then a woman said, Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow.

And he answered: Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven? And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.'

The line when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed has been of great comfort. I am not in the pitlike depths of despair anymore, but rather I am in this strange wilderness period where I don't know who my friends are, and I'm entirely uncomfortable from pushing into the unknown. I'm 27 years old, and every day I face rejection, indifference, and pity in my quest to become the greatest financial advisor in the world. With the widespread epidemic of fear and uncertainty in the world, people are hesitant to invest or increase their insurance for any reason, let alone when a guy as young as myself is trying to fill such big shoes. They would cast derision upon me for having the nerve to call myself by such a lofty title, yet in my youth I know more of finance than 90% of the world, and I still feel like I don't know sh!t.

But I made a decision, and I will stand behind it, even if it kills me.

So you are not alone, and know that our way is that of the living. The dead have all the time in the world to remain asleep.

sharkbeat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looks like I am not alone here to be losing his life. Going from party every weekend to none, from juggling two/three chicks to none, from just sex to just masturbation, losing weight, no job, and now going through the pain of short selling my house.

The most pain we probably had to swallow was to realize that we are gonna have to do this alone. To think that she's special...sheesh :down: I feel ya, bro.

Time is the best doctor. Read "You can work your own miracles" by Napoleon Hill. I read that book a while ago. It gave me a positive attitude and put things in a different perspective. I think I am going to reread that book now.

Just want to say that you are not alone, and you have my full support to stand back up, just as I am now trying to get up on my feet.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thx for the book suggestion sharky. I will check it out.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Jariel.

Keep working at it man, im also currently unemployed but I still manage to keep my own place and cut back on going out. At times it can be depressing but you just need to push yourself because at the end of the day you can only count on yourself. You also have to tell that voice that creeps up in your head that tells you to just give up, to fu@k off because you are in control here.

Have you ever thought about teaching English overseas? I have a family member who couldn't find any jobs back here he likes, so he flew to Asia and he is making good coin and is happy. Seems like since you aren't tied down in the UK, a change of scenery might be good for you.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DJDamage said:
Hey Jariel.

Have you ever thought about teaching English overseas? I have a family member who couldn't find any jobs back here he likes, so he flew to Asia and he is making good coin and is happy. Seems like since you aren't tied down in the UK, a change of scenery might be good for you.
Thought about that myself. Apparently Thailand is a great location when you equate in all environmental factors. Can't get my girl to get on board though.

And you need a bachelor's degree, that's a minimum. Don't worry about certifications

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
Thought about that myself. Apparently Thailand is a great location when you equate in all environmental factors. Can't get my girl to get on board though.

And you need a bachelor's degree, that's a minimum. Don't worry about certifications
Actually its depending on the company and whom they represent, you just need to find a legit one.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Christ, this thread bought back a load of old names from the past.

Jariel man, no worries! I'd wager 1/2 the guys in Britain have been laid off. I've been reduced to working in a crappy gym, job I hate, just to make ends meet - but I'm ok with it, I know it isn't for ever, just like your situation!

The key I've found is, cut off self pity/negative thoughts as soon as they appear. Just see the situation for what it is. Crap luck, and do what needs to be done to work out of it.

And, if needs be, move back in with the parents. I had to, they arn't that bad. It's important not to swamp yourself with debt, just to have "pride".

Chin up mate.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, I value the feedback and encouragement. Just though I'd give you a little update...

I'm feeling a lot more positive now. I have taken steps to improve my life and have put a plan into motion. First of all I've been looking through the available jobs that I can work towards. There are a lot of opportunities in web design, and though I consider myself a good artist/designer I'm not very knowledgable on making websites. So I've been checking what experience and skills they look for and have started a home study course to learn what I need. My next step is to start freelancing and building a portfolio. I know things won't happen overnight, but I'm going to be in a much better position 6 month from now.

I have also thrown myself back into my gym routine. I've already started making decent gains ("muscle memory" I guess) and I feel confident I can get back to where I was. I'm already feeling bolder and my self esteem is improving. Additionally, it's giving me something to focus on and a goal to aim towards...rather than wallowing in my rut.

In terms of women, it hasn't been my priority, but I met a girl a week ago and we went on a date. It went really well and she was calling and texting me the following days and said she'd like to go out again. She invited me to her house last week, but I was due in work and had to turn her down. She's been a bit cool with me since then, but to be honest, I'm ok to walk away and just remember the date as a good experience.

I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm doing good and see my future in a much more positive way. I'm reading a lot of posts here again and so much is flooding back.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is something I'd like to do as I have a degree in English and Linguistics. A friend of mine was teaching in South Korea and she loved every minute. Unfortunately, I'm not a good public speaker and it does worry me that I'd find myself way out of my depth. I could do with looking into it more and asking those who have done it.

Lion

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Jariel, how's it all going! :) Keep us posted, your thread is inspirational

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update - July 2010

I just want to thank everyone who has replied, messaged me and offered support. I really appreciate it guys and you have really helped me escape that awful rut I was trapped in.

Financially, I'm still not where I'd like to be, but I'm coping and judging the economy now and mass job losses, I've learned not to be too hard on myself. But I'm working on some projects that will hopefully make a difference in the coming months.

In terms of everything else, however, things are great! Not long after writing the original thread, I took a look at myself and it hit me how complacent I had been during the last year of my relationship. I'd stopped flirting with women, stopped using the gym, I'd let my image slip and was not the man I was a few years ago. I'd also gotten to be a little out of shape. Nothing disgusting, but I was thin, my neck a little scrawny and yet kinda podgy around my mid section.

(Cut & paste from recent H+F thread)

I embraced the depression that had crept over me, the anger of being dumped, rejected and of being walked over (and attacked) the year before, and I vowed to get back into the gym and push myself back to where I used to be. Money was short, but I went out, bought a load of protein powder, creatine, and plenty of high protein food.

The first week back at the gym left me aching all over and limping, but the pain was like an old friend come back to visit. It felt great and I felt alive again.

Whether "muscle memory" came into play, I'm not sure, but it didn't take long for me to start seeing physical results again. My neck looked thicker, my shoulders broader and the shirts I'd been wearing during the previous months were getting too tight to wear. Although I still had some bodyfat to shed, it was less flabby or noticeable now.

Women seemed to start showing interest again. I went on 5 dates that month and they all wanted to see me again, some even started developing oneitis, getting posessive. Women in their 40s and girls as young as 18 were all over me, flirting, asking for my number. Quite a turn around from just a few months ago. I was even offered a job as a stripper (I could use the money, but it's not for me).

My confidence was soaring. I started getting more numbers than I could count, my phone was ringing, texts were coming one after the next and, to be honest, I've not had this much female interest in my life. I was back in the game.

(end of cut & paste)

Although my confidence has grown as a result of my time in the gym, I've also put the time into developing my social skills and pickup skills too. After being dumped and hurt by my girlfriend I realised that rejection is just part of life and that any rejections I get from now on will be quite small and painless compared to my breakup, so I just went all out. I noticed that the more I socialised and flirted, the better and more confident I was getting at it. Some women gave me their numbers or email, some didn't, but instead of walking away feeling rejected, I learned to make light of the situation.

I used to fear being too sexual with women I didn't know very well in case I offended them, but I figured what the hell and made an effort to push out of my comfort zone. Some nights I'd just send a few suggestive texts, which would develop into some heavy sex talk and a number of times women just invited me over for sex there and then. It was that easy. In fact, not one of these women got offended.

I guess when you hit rock bottom, you become less afraid to take risks and that's what has happened to me. I'd much rather be yelled at by a woman for being too sexual than listen to her talk to me as a friend about another guy she's obsessed with.

I also got into the whole plate spinning scenario. Just because I got a few numbers didn't mean I had to stop there. I just continued getting more, dating more women and keeping my options open. The effects of this have been mindblowing. I ended up writing a tip about my experiences here and if you're not already seeing multiple women I recommend taking a look...

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=174058

So that's my story so far. I've bounced back better than ever! I look back at the ex- who dumped me at Christmas, the woman who walked out on me during our date and even the thugs who jumped me last year and I appreciate what they did for me. They made me wake up from my complacency and get myself back on track.

Thanks again for all the kind responses and words of encouragement!

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow! Unbelievable! Good for you!!!

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Questions out of curiosity:

What do you do on your dates, and if you do pay, doesn't it bother you how much money you are giving away?
You say you aren't financially where you want to be . . have there been any changes in your attitude/ways when it comes to your "job"? If so, what have the changes been and what has been the result?

And finally, financially what do you want? In a woman, what do you want? (or do you think only in women, not woman).