Is this legit?

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quite frankly I dont trust any combar tehcnique that doesnt involve you sweating and blooding for some good months in a gym.

Certain movements in order to be learned correctly and be done automatically
require a man to repeat them dozens and dozens of time.
Even a base movement like an armlock requires at least 100 times practice to be done well.

DanelMadr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In the end of the day all comes to a good timing. And you have to practice a lot to have a good timing and attitude. DVDs won't teach you that. it is better than nothing but....

And to be completely honest most techniques are pretty useless. The real fight is so messy that you have almost zero chance to using them.

For example a hold from a block....most of the time when someone tries to hit you, you are happy to avoid the punch and he retracts the hand or attacks with another so fast, you don't have the 2ms to hold his hand and send him flying.

Buy a punching bag and practice your punch for it is quite difficult to properly punch someone without breaking your hand and with enough speed he can't react. A good punch is solution to 90% of situations.
Make sure you stand light, so you can move out of the harms way or closer to attack. That's about it.

DanelMadr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After seeing the sample videos, well, the knife defense is BS.
Holding opponents hand with knife over your shoulder with the knife millimeters from your neck artery is plain stupid.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Krav Maga was the most effective self defense system in the world. Also it helps that it's popular enough to get one on one instruction in your area instead of some DVD.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The video clip of "As seen on Bullsh*t!" piqued my interest—Bullsh*t! is one of my favorite shows. I got ahold of a copy of the episode and it dispells the usefulness of learning martial arts. I also found it very funny that the producers visited a karate school just a few minutes from my house.

What the video clip doesn't show is the criticism which immediately came after the clip. The Self Defense Co. is premised upon learning to apply deadly force and a martial arts expert criticizes, "The problem with most fighting systems, most martial arts is the assumption [by teachers] that their student is innocent, that their student is the victim. It's never that their student is out misbehaving. So what they'll do is train their people in this very aggressive fighting manner and call it self-defense… If you're going to claim it self-defense, you have to know self-defense laws, you have to understand what the standards of self-defense are in [insert your country]. I've seen neck break from behind of a down and unarmed opponent taught as self-defense. That's murder." And, "What is taught out as martial arts is actually fear management, not danger management. It doesn't actually address the issues of violence, much less self-defense."

Penn & Teller conclude,
According to FBI statistics, there are approximately 1.3 million violent crimes in America in 2008. That means roughly one in every 220 Americans were injured in a crime. By contrast, according to a recent study by George Washington University, the probability of being injured while taking martial arts class is 100%. Everyone gets hurt. In fact, students averaged four injuries per year, which means the chances of being injured in a year's worth of self-defense lessons is about 220 times greater than being injured in a crime you're defending yourself against.

Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark made a pretty good case. If you're willing to use deadly force on another human being, use a fücking gun. The moral and legal consequences are almost the same and at least you won't hurt your hand and be sore every week from practicing at the dojo.
I can't imagine the math being much different for Russia or even Brazil. So, Drdeee, I must ask, why does this deadly force interest you? Those dolphins must be killer.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
I was under the impression that Krav Maga was the most effective self defense system in the world. Also it helps that it's popular enough to get one on one instruction in your area instead of some DVD.
I watched a Krav Maga class once, I was thoroughly unimpressed. Instead of showing them how to escape the mount (standard BJJ technique), the instructor was teaching them to punch up at the person who was sitting on their chest :rolleyes: The next day, a Krav Maga guy came to our BJJ class and after being taught how to properly escape the mount, said "wow, this stuff works a lot better than Krav Maga" :crackup:

If you're interested in self defense, and I'm talking TRUE self defense when your life is in danger, not scuffles in clubs where the bouncers will protect you, your top priority is learning how to use a knife and a gun.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
The next day, a Krav Maga guy came to our BJJ class and after being taught how to properly escape the mount, said "wow, this stuff works a lot better than Krav Maga" :crackup:
Maybe he was just a bad instructor?

Vice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
What the video clip doesn't show is the criticism which immediately came after the clip. The Self Defense Co. is premised upon learning to apply deadly force and a martial arts expert criticizes, "The problem with most fighting systems, most martial arts is the assumption [by teachers] that their student is innocent, that their student is the victim. It's never that their student is out misbehaving. So what they'll do is train their people in this very aggressive fighting manner and call it self-defense… If you're going to claim it self-defense, you have to know self-defense laws, you have to understand what the standards of self-defense are in [insert your country]. I've seen neck break from behind of a down and unarmed opponent taught as self-defense. That's murder." And, "What is taught out as martial arts is actually fear management, not danger management. It doesn't actually address the issues of violence, much less self-defense."
This seems to be the case, because if you look under the logo, it says "You will be feared". Now, how would you be feared unless you overtly display your abilities? Seems like they're marketing to insecure, angry guys.

Deep Dish said:
Penn & Teller conclude,I can't imagine the math being much different for Russia or even Brazil. So, Drdeee, I must ask, why does this deadly force interest you? Those dolphins must be killer.
He posted another thread on how to "achieve a mafia look", which leads me to believe he may be trying to become a badass, but not until he stops being edgy around dolphins.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NO INSTRUCTOR NEEDED

I didn't have to read any farther than that. Training by yourself doesn't work, because you can't tell when you are practicing incorrect technique. Then you just learn bad habits that actually make you harder to train when you do get a real instructor.

Training someone is as much of an art as the martial art itself. A new guy will make ten mistakes when he throws a punch, but telling him all ten critiques makes him overthink and he actually gets worse. A good trainer can pick out the one or two improvements that will help the most and only teach those, at least at first.

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get Lethal with the Self Defense Training System and let every attacker know HE made a fatal mistake when he stupidly picked you. We call it “Attackers Remorse” and it’s the last thing he feels before you obliterate him from existence.
Somebody tries to mug you so you kill him, that's not going to hold up well in court.