Is this forum anti-marriage

Lexington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marriage can be a wonderful thing but it's also not the right thing for everyone. Divorce rates are extremely high here in the USA and I'm sure that's the case in many other Western countries.

A lot of people get married because that's just what's expected of them. It seems like a natural progression but not everyone is suited to married life. This day and age puts a lot of strain on married life.

Careers can be very demanding and it can be very difficult to balance them with family life. It's hard enough balancing a busy career and home life that there's almost no time for a man's own interests, hobbies etc.

Remember, at the end of the day, monogamous marriage is not a natural thing. It's a cultural/religious institution. Hundreds of years ago, men had hundreds of "wives" (if you could really call them that) and sometimes women had multiple husbands etc.

The dynamics of human relationships have varied a great across time and space. The typical family structure of today is considerably different from that of a few hundred years ago and there are lots of differences between various cultures. There is no reason to think that sexual/romantic relationships cannot evolve further.

If you're going to get married, just be certain that it is what you want. It is a huge commitment and raising children is an even bigger one that comes with some tremendous responsibilities.

Hooligan Harry

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jeffst1980 said:
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Before the 50's, a woman's social value was determined largely by her chastity. Premarital sex for women didn't even become the norm until the 70's. Do you honestly believe that you could go out and have consensual sex on a second date with an attractive girl that wasn't a prostitute in 1950 the way you can today? Or call an FB up for a booty call? Forget discretion--no self-respecting young woman would risk the ostricization that would follow such acts. One simply can not deny the impact of culture on human sexuality--in fact, I think that's the whole point of this forum.
Seriously. Read up on the Kinsey report. "Sexual liberation" was half the reason why feminism spread as quickly as it did even though it turns out that the reason for it was so exaggerated its not funny. People were more discreet, they were not having less sex!

The fact that you believe people were not having sex before marriage in the 50's just goes to show how indoctrinated this method of thinking has become. Its crap! Google the Kinsey report. It lends weight to my argument and was one of the most influential studies on sexuality. Feminism has played a massive role in modern day education and what is taught is not often correct.

As for Eastern European women etc., I can't comment on that because I haven't lived over there. I'll take you at your word. However, I suspect that such countries did not have any NEED for a sexual revolution because they weren't founded on Puritan principles that persisted for centuries, as in our country.
Last I checked, Puritan principles were the result of Christian indoctrination. Not much different to Catholicism or orthodox views. There is nothing more sexually oppressive then orthodoxy with Catholicism following close behind. We are talking arranged marriages with orthodoxy in some cases.

Feminism never allowed people to become promiscuous. They have always been that way. Non feminised societies prove this along with studies similar to the reports released by Kinsey

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jophil28 said:
UP to about 1978,a woman typically regarded getting married as the fulfilment of her life dream . She was GRATEFUL to have been chosen and she saw her marriage as her life path. These women made good wives ....
Funny that you pick this choice of words. The girls I met overseas would chat a while and after they decided I was really single and open to having a girlfriend the common phrase was "hope you pick me!" shortly thereafter. They are in an environment where they are rewarded for being feminine and are happy and proud to behave like a woman.

Incredibly refreshing.

Andy_Dufresne said:
.... the long term marriages I've seen that are actually HAPPY: the man is the man, the woman is the woman in the relationship, and it stays that way.
A close friend of mine was having a discrete disagreement with his bride of a few years once a few steps away from the rest of us. Finally he got exasperated and raised his voice a tiny bit and said something like "let's look in our pants and see who has a ****, then we will do what that person says".

The discussion then moved away and eventually they rejoined us.

20 years later they are still married and happy. She is a great wife and he is a good man to her. Shocking.