Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is there any future in Graphic Design?

Tha Realnezz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol it sounds too I don't know what to say "money" so I said future.

Point is I'm now majoring in Studio Arts I wanna get a B.A..Thing is it's a lil' city college i'm going to.Unlike the university i was in before.

I'm planning on becoming an illustrator/graphic designer.

I'd also like to go to some art institue/college in NYC.Does anyone know any good school to major in art with?Around the NYC area?

Also,how much do graphic designers usually make?The salary wizard said the base pay is something like 60 k a year..which I doubt.

TheRelic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely - the industry has never been better.

I always had this notion of it being a field of very little pay, and lack of work opportunities.... but i'm currently freelancing and making about twice the average wage (until I hit the study again soon).

Everyone knows someone that needs something designed.

The more you push your profession as being just that, and demanding and reasoning a high level of pay equivalent or more to that of any other trade (just as design is), the more respect you'll get, and the more work (just as long as you're doing good stuff).

There are also so many studios around doing large projects for large clients, that hire in freelancers in droves depending on their skills. In this way, there's plenty of opportunity to work for class A clients, without building up a rep.

Tha Realnezz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool.

Were are you located?...did you attend an institute or a university?Does that matter much to employers?

Don Ronny

Banned
Reaction score
The market is saturated with designers right now. Unless you are naturally talented or have some edge on the competition, I wouldnt bother. This is job is best left to the craftsmen who take pride in their work, not someone looking to make money. Although I do know many colorblind morons who make a living with this, the most successful guys are the ones who have that golden eye for layout, detail and innovative design.

If money is all you are after then one of the most sought after people right now are in web development. Folks who can code up shopping carts, forums and the like for websites are very well paid and there is often more work than they can handle.

However, if you still feel this is the field for you, then realize that you dont need a degree from any university. You will definitely benefit most from a tutor or any other type of specialized hands on training. A tutor can guide you well, but most of what you learn will be on your own, practicing for hours and hours.

When you are proficient and ready to work, you will need a decent portfolio with 20 of your strongest pieces in order to be taken seriously. To make good $$$, you need to master quite a few skills as the work always varies from project to project.

Retouching
For this you will need to master Photoshop. Learn the secrets of layers, masks, and learn to use every tool and all menu commands.

Vector Illustration
Make the Pen Tool in Illustrator your b!tch. You will often have to trace logos or icons so they print better.

Layout
You can use Illustrator for one-page layouts, but InDesign is the way to go for multipage. PDF authoring is killer in that program as well.

Speed
Learn all the keyboard shortcuts for each program and create a few of your own for the items you use most. Nothing will cut your production time faster than having hands-on access to everything you need.

It will take time for you to build a good rep. At least 2 or 3 years. But once you have a network in place, you will gain more independance to eventually go freelance and work from anywhere in the world. Now THAT's a good hustle!

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
loads

frivolousz21

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my Fiance is doing this..and she isnt out of college here but has been offered great jobs for her work.

friv= stay at home dad :)