Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is technology helping or hurting?

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I can remember the "dating scene" from about 10 - 12 years ago. Granted, I'm not even 30, I remember a time when the internet wasn't so heavily involved, when the cell-phones were almost as big as our heads and people believed that online dating is a stigma.

Nowadays, texting is the norm.
Online dating is not out of the ordinary.
Every woman has a cell-phone and almost every area has at least a decent reception.
Everyone has access to the internet, even at coffee shops with WiFi hot spots.

For a while, it seemed like technology was setting us back and was adding onto an already complicated "dating scene".

But one of the things SS has been really good for is to bring into light all those potential sh!t-tests, some including recent technologies. Now we are armed with the knowledge of how to deal with a chronic texter or AW's on online dating websites. We have these forums and others that have become an invaluable source of information.

In your opinion, does it seem that there seems to be an equilibrium of sorts in the last few years or has technology hurt men that much?

ALL sorts of opinions are more than welcome. I really want to gauge what each person thinks about this issue.

Personally, I hate texting and never use it, but I've known MANY people that are able to use it and have it down to a science. I think it has both helped and hurt us in a way. I think we're in a time where we are readjusting to these technological phenonomenons and how women are using it to their advantage when it comes to men.

Strelok

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personal cellphones and facebook programs are actually increasing the enourmous ego of the average girl.
Send a private message on facebook or send a sms doesn't require any effort but it's effect cannot be neglected.

Back in past only very attractive girls got guys calling their phone number to talk to them,most of the afc were afraid of someone else from the family to pick up the phone,that was enough to avoid average girls to get too much attention.

Also the information stream is killing any mistery regarding a man,all a girl have to do is look at his facebook page if he have any or ask some of his friends info about him,again thanks to cellphones or social networks.

In the end this kind of modern technology made harder something that was already hard,aint talking about a dj but the common man.
I aint going to talk about girls that can get attention and reject easily by phone because the topic is common here,the only thing I feel to suggest to anybody is to read how to use properly this technologies from the bible.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
technology affects more than just the dating scene. Having SMS or emails going strait to your phone entitles the sender to instantaneous responses. People are quickly becoming spoiled with having everything at their fingertips, and many forgo planning anything knowing that their cell phone will be their crutch in case **** goes bad. I also find people who are hooked to their smart phones do so when they are withdrawn from a social situation, or feel out of the loop. Rather than trying to socialize, they text someone just to get some sort of attention.

I don't think the technology has made things better or worse..just different. Good looking women have always had the attention of a lot of guys, and having a smart phone doesn't change that at all; it just changes how they get their attention. The key is to accept the change and try and leverage it to the best of ones ability. Now its easy to get girls #s and send out mass texts to see who wants to hang and who wants to be lame.

Lastly, girls who use their phones mid conversation are useless. When this happens, it makes the choice to next them very easy. It probably means they aren't all that interested in you. Talk about a time saver!

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think Strelok is right. Unless one knows how to really use Facebook it can hurt guys. FB also makes it possible to see how much attention a girl is getting from other guys. The last thing I want to see is that a girl I'm interested and spending time with has also been hanging out with 5 other guys. She'll never tell you that, but just looking at the comments on her wall to see everything.

Another thing is because of cell phones, girls are not as approachable. 10 years ago you saw a girl by herself you can go and talk to her. Now you see a girl by herself and yet she's in the middle of a conversation.

I think texting is also a bad thing. It's too commonly accepted and too easy to use. It's also very easy to ignore. I've made the mistake of trying to set up dates and communicate over text. Texting is just too impersonal and I'm really going to focus on calling girls from now on.

Trader

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Strelok said:
Also the information stream is killing any mistery regarding a man,all a girl have to do is look at his facebook page if he have any or ask some of his friends info about him,again thanks to cellphones or social networks.
On the mark

Maxtro said:
I think Strelok is right. Unless one knows how to really use Facebook it can hurt guys. FB also makes it possible to see how much attention a girl is getting from other guys. The last thing I want to see is that a girl I'm interested and spending time with has also been hanging out with 5 other guys. She'll never tell you that, but just looking at the comments on her wall to see everything.

Another thing is because of cell phones, girls are not as approachable. 10 years ago you saw a girl by herself you can go and talk to her. Now you see a girl by herself and yet she's in the middle of a conversation.

I think texting is also a bad thing. It's too commonly accepted and too easy to use. It's also very easy to ignore. I've made the mistake of trying to set up dates and communicate over text. Texting is just too impersonal and I'm really going to focus on calling girls from now on.
I just call to set up dates, I don't connect with her using AIM/MSN, Facebook, or text.

Remember, girls live for attention, when you use technology to interact with her, she gets attention, but what do you get? Nothing.

You want to see her and touch her, which means having face-to-face contact. Limit all other forms of contact.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember meeting girls off the Internet without seeing pictures first. We'd email, talk on the phone, and then meet in person. Most of them were actually good-looking, some beautiful. That was 10-15 years ago, and by today's standards sounds like pioneer life.

vatoloco

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trader said:
I just call to set up dates, I don't connect with her using AIM/MSN, Facebook, or text.
I do the same thing. I don't hold extended conversations on the phone either. Whenever a girl wants to start blabbing away I cut her off: "Hey listen sweetheart, I gotta run. We'll talk later."

However, I do text (I'd be a technology pariah if I didn't) but never to set up a date. For that, I always use the phone. And I only text back (I've never initiated a text conversation) and even then, I take my sweet time (sometimes hours) to reply back.

Remember, girls live for attention, when you use technology to interact with her, she gets attention, but what do you get? Nothing.

You want to see her and touch her, which means having face-to-face contact. Limit all other forms of contact.
^^^
This

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
10 years ago was "what's your AIM name?" and then you quietly hit on them from your computer and not on the phone anyway. At least that's what college kids did.

Maybe you should go back a bit further.

Trader said:
Nothing? Come on, guys like the attention just fine. You know you feel better when chicks are lighting up your phone than when it's dead and you don't even know where it is since it's been so silent.

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We didn't even have a computer at home until 2000.

And then I didn't have the internet until late 2007.

Before that, after I left home, I lived in a small town, so internet communication was a waste of time.

I tend to text rather than call, since that's how I started out. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

If a girl is interested, she will respond to a text. Just use the 2 strike rule for this, like other stuff, since she may miss one.

I think technology can tend to magnify either the good or bad aspects of your dating approaches. The key is to personalize your approach to something that suits you, and use it to your advantage.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Kailex,
I can't agree with all of your thoughts about online dating....as you surf the posts,with a little experience,you can really pick the easy marks,or in fact any personality type you want...as well as that,your banter across the ether,helps you develop conversational routines that are really valuable in the real World....You also learn a little of the weird Psychology of the Female brain...Perhaps even learn more clearly what you really want...having said that,the telephone is the enemy of conversation,and all too often is the Kiss of Death to potentially reasonable hook ups...so much communication is visual...body language to the expert eye enables you to read someone like a book...the worst thing of all is the mobile phone...Do you really need another link in the chains that ties you down?...The less she knows of your movements,the more you are able to lead the exciting,adventurous and interesting life.

L B

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Technology is great. It gives the loser guys something to occupy their time with while the DJ an additional tool to use to seduce women. I was never into the aim, text, myspace, and facebook thing. I know a few who are successful with it. But most are just pathetic.

When a guy is an afc in person, he says stupid things only he and the girl would know. Now with facebook, you have guys kissing up to girls and comforting them when they have a bad hair day and the world would see it. A friend did this and I was just about to give him a smack down.

Regardless of how far technology advances, one has to know how to attract women on a face to face level. Anything else is just bonus.