Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Is it worth getting into the tech field at my age?

Borknagar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It boggles my mind the kinds of compensation these tech people are making. Double digit bonuses, double digit sign on bonuses, RSUs, massive salaries, etc.

I've been in the power engineering field for nearly 12 years now and turning 36 this year, I don't see much more upside. I am currently making $144k base with 6-9% bonus on top of ESPP which puts my total compensation at around $160,000 on the higher end. Adding the profit I make from my HYSA and active investing, I can say I'm pulling in $170k/year. This is for a 100% remote job where most days I'd be lucky to put in a solid 4 hours.

Problem is, the field bores me, and there isn't much upside. Tech seems interesting and I'd be willing to code for 6-12 months and start interview prep if the opportunity is there. Ideally I would like to make $200k total comp.

Right now I live in NYC and my salary isn't adjusted for that cost of living.. which is partly why tech interests me. I see people with less than five years experience making my compensation in non MAANG companies.

Anyone in the field have suggestions or advice?
I was about to say why are you complaining making so much more than me, but I doubt your monthly bills total only about $1600 for literally everything. Isn't like 3k for a crappy apt there or more? Couldn't even imagine a normal sized house lol

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Software is written in one of various computer languages. What effort have you made at starting to learn a computer language?

My take, as a software engineer, is that you need to figure out how hard that is for you and if you enjoy it. It is promising that you studied engineering in another field.

In India students need to score in the top 2% to study engineering. Some outside that top 2% fly to the United States and obtain a master's degree in computer science, then get a job with that degree. What do you think of getting a master's degree in computer science?
Masters degrees in computer science are largely a waste of money. You aren't really making up that difference between that and a regular 4 year degree in computer science in salary to make it worth it most times.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I was about to say why are you complaining making so much more than me, but I doubt your monthly bills total only about $1600 for literally everything. Isn't like 3k for a crappy apt there or more? Couldn't even imagine a normal sized house lol
In NYC to live on your own you need a minimum of 100K. If not, you have roommate(s).

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Masters degrees in computer science are largely a waste of money. You aren't really making up that difference between that and a regular 4 year degree in computer science in salary to make it worth it most times.
My advice was for someone who has no degree in computer science, so I'm not sure your comparison applies.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
My advice was for someone who has no degree in computer science, so I'm not sure your comparison applies.
You can't just get a master's degree in computer science without getting a bachelor's degree first.

I mean, technically you can in some places, but you are really getting both at the same time and it's going to cost far more than just a bachelor's degree.

itouchyou

Don Juan
Reaction score
my monthly expenses are $4k and that doesnt factor in clothes/vacations. granted I hardly ever buy clothes or go on vacations so thats a moot point.

$150-170k is certainly fine, but if I dont like what I do and the opportunity is there for a bigger paycheck, why limit myself

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You can't just get a master's degree in computer science without getting a bachelor's degree first.

I mean, technically you can in some places, but you are really getting both at the same time and it's going to cost far more than just a bachelor's degree.
Can You Get a CS Master's Without a CS Bachelor's?
Yes, you can get a master's without a bachelor's in computer science. In fact, some schools specifically cater to students with minimal or no programming experience.

For example, the CS master's degrees at Boston University and Stevens Institute of Technology require no prior coding experience or prerequisite courses.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Last edited:

nicksaiz65

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been thinking about pulling double duty as a remote worker since I can likely whittle my current job down to 25ish hours a week and basically work 2 full time jobs, get paid fully for both but only work like 50 hours total or less between the two.
r/overemployed