Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Insanity/P90X

goodfoot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone try either of these programs? I'm leaning toward the Insanity program because I'm concerned about my cardiovascular fitness and also my flexibility. I also heard when you do P90X, they automatically start sending you creatine and other stuff, which I don't really want.

I'm 24 years old, 5'8", 145lbs. Ever really had to watch what I eat; I've been skinny my whole life. I would say my target weight is about 170. I don't think I would want to be bigger than 180. I like playing basketball, but hadn't played in while. When I was about 16 I could grab rim, but now I can't. My main fitness goal is to be able to dunk. I know it will take a long time, but I think I'm up for the challenge.

The Insanity DVD's seemed like a good fit because the infomercial talked a lot about the plyometrics and flexibility excercises. I figured I could do the 60 days, then possibly go through the full 60 days a second time while wearing a weighted vest.

Also once you finish the program, do you just start the program over, or are there different exercises? Any help would be appreciated.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your goals are to be able to dunk and weigh in the 170-180lb range?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To dunk you need strength, and to gain muscle you need strength. Do Rippetoe's program and you will reach your goals quickly.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
To dunk you need strength, and to gain muscle you need strength. Do Rippetoe's program and you will reach your goals quickly.
+1

There's usually no reason for anyone who's a beginner to do anything except a simple linear progression program.

goodfoot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have a car right now, so I can't go to a gym. That is the main thing holding me back.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't expect to gain a lot of muscle and strength without proper equipment. I suggest you buy a power cage, a 7ft barbell and weights. It will be a very good investment.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
What's more important of those two goals? Dunking a basketball or gaining 25 pounds? If you want to dunk the ball, then I would think that adding 25 pounds is not going to help you maximize your vertical leap...you want to be light as possible...

Seems like your 2 goals are conflicting...I'd focus on achieving one of them.
Not necessarily... I'm 50 lbs heavier than I was when I starting lifting weights and I can jump a hell of a lot higher. And I never even practice jumping.