Inherit the Wind (moved to correct forum)

novaknight

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My current English teacher is a interesting woman. She's a young woman who seems to have a certain liveliness to her, which makes the class actually interesting. This is one of the few classes where you do no real work, but learn a lot.

The best thing I learned in that class all year so far is about the title of a book : Inherit the Wind.

The title comes from a bible verse: He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind.

In modern terms, it means that if you are so obsessed with getting something you end up causing discord in your life, you will end up with nothing. This can apply to women, money, pretty much anything.

If you are so obsessed with money that you are causing discord in your life...you will get nothing.

If you are engrossed with banging as many girls as possible you are causing trouble in your life....you will get nothing.

If you are so worried about your GPA you are losing your health to stress...you will get nothing.

If you are so into working out and getting bigger you end up living in the gym...you gain nothing.

But Novaknight, what if I do end up getting money, girls, GPA, or that muscle? Aren't those things good?

Well...notice how I didn't say you won't get what you went for. I simply said you'll gain nothing. Think for a second. Ask yourself this :if you spent your entire life pursuing one of those things...and your life revolved around scoring girls...what's the point? What's next? You just inherited the wind and gained nothing.

These things are good to have. But it's not worth causing discord in your life to attain.

He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind. I'm not a religious guy. But that is one of the wisest things I've heard out of the Bible, which I'm rather knowledgeable in. That day, my English teacher taught me more than I could ever learn from grammar or critical reading.

firelord

Don Juan
Reaction score
Think of what you dnt have, visualize it that you have it, belive that you have it. And thank the universal intelligence for having it. You will have that.

Betamax

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's the same as: If you chase after a girl or money etc - it will walk way you. However if you walk way from it the girl or money they will chase after you.

Amo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with this post.

Betamax, I don't know what you're smoking, but I've never had money chase me.

NorwegianDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
amohield said:
I agree with this post.

I suppose you wont spend nearly as much money if you dont have it, and you wont have the need for more. And things have a tendency to go to the person that cares the least, but that does not count for the ones that put in the most work. Rambling on, eh.

Outcome dependence is a very well known thing in the community.
Im not gonna go ahead and explain it, thats what you have google for.
Personally, I always perform much better with freedom from outcome. Being in the moment, being careless, having options and having social momentum all help for this.

It comes, just give it some time. If you keep challenging yourself, so you grow, that is.
Outcome independence, social momentum and following your intent must be 80% of what its all about.

The bible really has some good stuff, but its filled with things I think nothing off.

Betamax

Don Juan
Reaction score
amohield said:
I agree with this post.

Hehehe - in my best Yodo voice 'learn a lot you must'

Classic example - I am writer, I was busy with a deadline one evening, when another editor rang wanting a feature writing for him. I told him sorry, but I was far too busy as this deadline was important to me. He rang back ten minutes later with double his normal price. Again, I refused as I was genuinely busy and had to e-mail off the feature that very evening. Twenty minutes later, he rang for third time offering three times the normal price as he was really desperate. At that price, how could I refuse and work into the wee small hours to get it off to him.

Because I walked way from money it after chased me... !

I have used the willing to walk away to good effect for years - doesn't always work, but for the good part it does, which is good enough for me.

novaknight

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Betamax said:
Hehehe - in my best Yodo voice 'learn a lot you must'

Classic example - I am writer, I was busy with a deadline one evening, when another editor rang wanting a feature writing for him. I told him sorry, but I was far too busy as this deadline was important to me. He rang back ten minutes later with double his normal price. Again, I refused as I was genuinely busy and had to e-mail off the feature that very evening. Twenty minutes later, he rang for third time offering three times the normal price as he was really desperate. At that price, how could I refuse and work into the wee small hours to get it off to him.

Because I walked way from money it after chased me... !

I have used the willing to walk away to good effect for years - doesn't always work, but for the good part it does, which is good enough for me.
Many of us fail to realize that when you walk away, what you walk away from chases you. Ever realize that the girls you aren't attracted to tend to be interested in you? That's why. Cause when you walk away from something...it tends to come right back at you.