Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Increasing Fitness with Asthma

Lionheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi all.

Does anyone have any experience in attempting to increase physical fitness when you suffer from Asthma?

I have only recently been diagnosed and I am terrified that i am going to end up like a friend of mine, he can't run, can't play sport, has trouble sleeping - he is practically a cripple when it comes to CV activites.

That is NOT happening to me.

I have just started exercising again to try and over come it, can a high enough level of fitness overcome or maybe even get rid of asthma?

I don't believe that my asthma is serious, it's usuaully OK when doing fairly taxing activities, but it is sometimes really bad when just walking or in bed!

Does anyone have any tips / guidance?

spikehead

Don Juan
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I've heard that swimming is a good cardio activity for people with asthma. You learn how to breathe with limited air while still performing a strenuous activity. It helps you breathe better overall.

Peebold

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had asthma all my life, and I am able to do sports and run. My asthma used to be alot worse when I was younger, but now, I take a pill at night, an inhaler in the morning, and my asthma doesnt usually bother me. I keep a quick acting inhaler with me just incase I have an asthma attack. Ever since I got to college, I have been running for about 20 mins every morning to stay in shape. Sometimes I need to stop before my friends because my asthma is acting up, but not often. I have heard that swimming is also good for people with asthma. I remember my mom telling me that a couple olympic swimmers have asthma, so yes you can function well in a sport with the disease.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my daughter has severe ashtma also.
we control it with an asthma plan so that she can run and play like everyone else.
talk to your family dr about an asthma control plan that is right for you and what you want to do also.
you can take singular pills at night to control it. you can also take pulmocort inhalers in the morning. this should subside attacks.
use a peak flow meter in the mornings to see how your asthma is for the day. if it is ok your fitness work outs should be ok. if it is poor for the day, take it easy. on the really bad days you probally already have an albuterol inhaler and you are know not to be doing workouts.
once you have an asthma control plan and stick with it then asthma doesnt control you anymore and restrict you like it has in the past.