Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

incline barbell bench vs flat barbell bench

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Incline barbell bench: 225 for 5 reps

flat barbell bench: 205 for sets of 5

4 years ago I took every supplement under the sun and was up to 245 for sets of 6 for incline barbell bench. I always did incline bench first followed by either flat barbell or dumbells while i was on the supplements.

I've been off all supplements for 3 years now, but my goddamn incline is stronger than my flat. Lol, i can't understand it.

Just curious if any of you guys have the same thing happen to you. Maybe your incline is better....i dont know.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My incline is stronger than my flat because I train incline harder and heavier than flat.

Its also usually the 1st exercise I do in my chest routine.

BadsnakeUK

Don Juan
Reaction score
Try decline presses as well for a really defined chest

AKA FLEX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think some dudes just have a naturally stronger upper-chest. My incline sucks and it shows in my chest development. I've trained it hard and heavy as hell, and I still can't get that "top shelf" look of the men who have seriously defined upper chests. I'm a beast on flat bench (and decline), but I really think a well-built upper chest looks better at the pool.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Front deltoids and your upper chest are better developed or it's just pure nervous system adaptation to you putting more focus on that bar pathway. You adapt to exactly what you do.

Do you do the standing press as well?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is the OHP supposed to work your upper chest? I do it all the time and only feel it in the shoulders and triceps.

Last edited:

AKA FLEX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Is the OHP supposed to work your upper chest? I do it all the time and only feel it in the upper shoulders and triceps.
If you them in the front rather than behind the neck, your upper chest will be slightly involved, especially if you're able to arch your back a little bit. Mainly, it's shoulders and tri's.

Incline barbell and dumbbell presses, and incline flys are the best things for upper chest; for me, however, that's my one body part that is just extremely stubborn and refuses to grow for some reason. We all have one, and that is mine.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you them in the front rather than behind the neck, your upper chest will be slightly involved, especially if you're able to arch your back a little bit. Mainly, it's shoulders and tri's.
behind the neck presses should be avoided
NEVER arch your back when doing an over head press. Contract your abs and brace the weight with your anterior core NOT your spine.

The bar should end up at the back of the head when fully extended NOT in front. You should be looking straight ahead leaning forwards not leaning backwards, looking up at the bar.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The press does work the clavicular head of the pectoralis major.

You certainly do not lean forward.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
by leaning forward i mean standing straight but using your abs to support the weight not the back.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I consider leaning backwards during the overhead press to be cheating. It's a press from the shoulders, not a standing bench press. And hyper extending the spine under a load is extremely dangerous.

These are the reasons the clean and press was removed from weightlifting competition. Competitors were leaning backwards to press more weight.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Really, your flat bench should be stronger than your incline. You must have disproportionately strong shoulders (as they are used a lot more on the incline bench than flat bench) or simply have not trained flat bench properly.

However, incline bench is better for adding mass to your chest (for most people anyway) but a weaker flat bench would still be a cause of concern for me because strength is also important if you're going to be muscular.