Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm trying fasting again

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your main sources of protein ?
Eggs, meat, fish, chicken, veggies, shakes. It's actually not that hard. The first time I did, I definitely over did it. While I was fat and didn't have that much muscle, I looked like a patient from cancer after 2 months, people were asking me if I had AIDS or some **** like that. I got crazy with any little amount of fat I had on my body, and I was doing IF, Cardio, lifting heavy, sometimes 48hrs fast, was eating only a huge meal per day. It was not in a healthy way, but man I was ripped, but definitely not sustainable, at least not naturally sustainable. So be careful with it.

All_Kindz_Of_Gainz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have no issue posting my 55 year old physique. You make a lot of assumptions. Go back and read your "debunked" statement. Not sure how asking you to bring receipts that back up your statement qualifies as misinformation. I've been coaching athletes for 30 + years including 2 Collegiate national champions. I lived the training life since I was a boy. I've participated in several studies for the local university. I'm adept at reading and analyzing research. I know more than most and experienced more than most, but not all. I still try to keep the beginners mind. Layne's a smart guy. I see why you like him as he lacks humility also. More people would listen to him if he wasn't such a douche. We all get it wrong sometimes unless you're Layne. Even when 3 Ph.Ds. pointed out he was wrong about a statement he made about thermodynamics and calories. He finally took the video down and went about his business as if he never made the statement. Or when Lyle McDonald challenged him on a statement he made. Layne just made personal attacks but never produced the evidence to back up his claim. We're all brothers on this forum and we share many common goals. You may not think there is anything to learn from anyone here, but if anything we try to hold each other accountable. By challenging each other we all become better and more competent. I'm very careful about the words I post and am prepared to back my statements up. If someone proves me wrong, I'll admit it. On that note, you are claiming that I am giving disinformation and have confirmation bias. If you can give specifics that would be helpful.
You look great man, better than 99% of guys in their prime age. Are on TRT or PEDs?

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have no issue posting my 55 year old physique. You make a lot of assumptions. Go back and read your "debunked" statement. Not sure how asking you to bring receipts that back up your statement qualifies as misinformation. I've been coaching athletes for 30 + years including 2 Collegiate national champions. I lived the training life since I was a boy. I've participated in several studies for the local university. I'm adept at reading and analyzing research. I know more than most and experienced more than most, but not all. I still try to keep the beginners mind. Layne's a smart guy. I see why you like him as he lacks humility also. More people would listen to him if he wasn't such a douche. We all get it wrong sometimes unless you're Layne. Even when 3 Ph.Ds. pointed out he was wrong about a statement he made about thermodynamics and calories. He finally took the video down and went about his business as if he never made the statement. Or when Lyle McDonald challenged him on a statement he made. Layne just made personal attacks but never produced the evidence to back up his claim. We're all brothers on this forum and we share many common goals. You may not think there is anything to learn from anyone here, but if anything we try to hold each other accountable. By challenging each other we all become better and more competent. I'm very careful about the words I post and am prepared to back my statements up. If someone proves me wrong, I'll admit it. On that note, you are claiming that I am giving disinformation and have confirmation bias. If you can give specifics that would be helpful.
I was specifically disputing claims which @BackInTheGame78 made regarding massive GH spikes and muscle sparing effects of IF compared to sustained caloric deficits. Your comments appeared to be in support of his claims - so I was challenging both of you in that.

To clarify, do you or do you not support the claim that GH spikes up to 7x normal levels while fasting? That is the specific claim I was disputing.

Additional clarification:
Do you or do you not support the claim that IF preserves greater muscle mass than that of a sustained caloric restriction, with equated caloric deficits?

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
You look great man, better than 99% of guys in their prime age. Are on TRT or PEDs?
Thanks! The short answer is yes. I started TRT when I was 48. I competed in drug free powerlifting and physique into my mid forties. My doctor whom I trained at the time put it to me like this. He said if your vision wasn't optimal, say 20/100, you would want to get that fixed. It's the same with your "T" levels. Why not operate at optimal. So TRT, DIM, and MK677 is my current regimen. It's certainly not the panacea to muscle and strength but it's helped slow and maybe sometimes stop the decline. Fewer injuries and better recovery too. I also have a younger Asian gf with a high libido so it's helped there also. lol

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Layne Norton was on JRE with a keto research PhD Dom D'Agostino, highly recommend it. None of this is settled yet.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was specifically disputing claims which @BackInTheGame78 made regarding massive GH spikes and muscle sparing effects of IF compared to sustained caloric deficits. Your comments appeared to be in support of his claims - so I was challenging both of you in that.

To clarify, do you or do you not support the claim that GH spikes up to 7x normal levels while fasting? That is the specific claim I was disputing.

Additional clarification:
Do you or do you not support the claim that IF preserves greater muscle mass than that of a sustained caloric restriction, with equated caloric deficits?
I was supporting the rise in GH specifically. I don't recall ever seeing a study where it was 7X. I've seen anything from double and maybe up to 5x. That said, It's been a minute since I've read up on it. I guess to me it's the difference between $10M and $15M. They're both a lot of money. I think the last time I read up on it was before I decided to use MK677 and not for fasting. Of course more GH isn't always a good thing.

IF CAN preserve greater muscle mass than sustained caloric restriction. It's a very broad statement though, because there are many variables to control for. I'll try to keep it short by picking some variables. I've got some studies to back my assertions if you want, just let me know. I'm going to skip the calculations for brevity but will provide them if needed.

One form of IF is alternate day fasting. There is a limit to the energy transfer rate a person can get from their fat stores per day. Converted to calories the average is about 30 calories per pound of fat. Now take a 268 lb male with 32% bf. His fat stores can provide 3600 calories per day. His maintenance calorie requirement is 2560 calories a day. He can alternate day fast without losing muscle mass. Next a 150 lb woman with 30% bf. Her bf can provide roughly 1350 calories a day. Her maintenance requirement is 1678 calories a day. So she still needs 328 calories a day or she risks losing muscle mass on alternate day fasting. Her activity level could be the deciding factor. And third, we have a 200 lb male with 12% bf. His bf will provide 720 calories for energy. His maintenance requirement is 2513 calories. That is 1793 calories short. Alternate day fasting will eat his lean muscle up. For the last two people, they would probably do better with the time restricted form of fasting with like a 16 hour fast and an 8 hour eating window to get their maintenance calories in to preserve muscle mass.

Lastly, lean mass and muscle mass aren't the same thing. Both the above groups will lose some lean mass if you were to do a dexa scan. Even if they are doing the right protocol for them, and they didn't lose lean muscle, the scan will show they all lost some lean mass. This is because even fat tissue has around 13% or so of proteins and other components that aren't fat.

We also know that a person stops growing lean muscle mass with prolonged calorie restriction. I know this doesn't necessarily mean their losing it but I would go out on a limb and say it's more likely than not that they are. With all the variables potentially in play though, a researcher could tilt the argument in their favor regardless of which side they take.

I do appreciate your perspective Money & Muscle, and thanks for letting me clarify my points.

Last edited:

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was supporting the rise in GH specifically. I don't recall ever seeing a study where it was 7X. I've seen anything from double and maybe up to 5x. That said, It's been a minute since I've read up on it. I guess to me it's the difference between $10M and $15M. They're both a lot of money.
Cool, we're moreso in alignment than not. I was only disputing the 7x claim.

I've got some studies to back my assertions if you want, just let me know.
I may ask for some specific ones, not because I don't believe you - but because I would like to read up on them myself and discuss with some other meatheads I'm in contact with. I'll just quote the part and ask for the source on it specifically, if that's not too much trouble.

Can you just list the equation names you used? Mifflin St-Jeor as an example? Just trying to make sense of the numbers - I don't need the entire math breakdown.

There is a limit to the energy transfer rate a person can get from their fat stores per day. Converted to calories the average is about 30 calories per pound of fat.
Source?
Huh, I guess that's the only one.

So the only thing I'll challenge you on is this statement here, pending your definition of "prolonged":
We also know that a person stops growing lean muscle mass with prolonged calorie restriction.
I'm of the belief that if someone is fat (>20%BF) and/or not trained/detrained, that muscle can still be gained during a deficit (recomp). Once getting lean beyond those numbers, or if already carrying significant muscle mass, I would agree that muscle stops accruing when in a deficit.
The only caveat I have to that belief is that when steroids are involved, you can gain muscle in a deficit - even lose fat during a bulk (provided it is a lean bulk and taking Tren and/or Anavar). But pharmaceuticals are a cheat code anyhow.

I do appreciate your perspective
And I appreciate yours, truly. Thank you for the thoughtful post.

Curious on your thoughts as to Lyle MacDonald's Rapid Fatloss Handbook approach (PSMF) if you're familiar.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I was supporting the rise in GH specifically. I don't recall ever seeing a study where it was 7X. I've seen anything from double and maybe up to 5x. That said, It's been a minute since I've read up on it. I guess to me it's the difference between $10M and $15M. They're both a lot of money. I think the last time I read up on it was before I decided to use MK677 and not for fasting. Of course more GH isn't always a good thing.

IF CAN preserve greater muscle mass than sustained caloric restriction. It's a very broad statement though, because there are many variables to control for. I'll try to keep it short by picking some variables. I've got some studies to back my assertions if you want, just let me know. I'm going to skip the calculations for brevity but will provide them if needed.

One form of IF is alternate day fasting. There is a limit to the energy transfer rate a person can get from their fat stores per day. Converted to calories the average is about 30 calories per pound of fat. Now take a 268 lb male with 32% bf. His fat stores can provide 3600 calories per day. His maintenance calorie requirement is 2560 calories a day. He can alternate day fast without losing muscle mass. Next a 150 lb woman with 30% bf. Her bf can provide roughly 1350 calories a day. Her maintenance requirement is 1678 calories a day. So she still needs 328 calories a day or she risks losing muscle mass on alternate day fasting. Her activity level could be the deciding factor. And third, we have a 200 lb male with 12% bf. His bf will provide 720 calories for energy. His maintenance requirement is 2513 calories. That is 1793 calories short. Alternate day fasting will eat his lean muscle up. For the last two people, they would probably do better with the time restricted form of fasting with like a 16 hour fast and an 8 hour eating window to get their maintenance calories in to preserve muscle mass.

Lastly, lean mass and muscle mass aren't the same thing. Both the above groups will lose some lean mass if you were to do a dexa scan. Even if they are doing the right protocol for them, and they didn't lose lean muscle, the scan will show they all lost some lean mass. This is because even fat tissue has around 13% or so of proteins and other components that aren't fat.

We also know that a person stops growing lean muscle mass with prolonged calorie restriction. I know this doesn't necessarily mean their losing it but I would go out on a limb and say it's more likely than not that they are. With all the variables potentially in play though, a researcher could tilt the argument in their favor regardless of which side they take.

I do appreciate your perspective Money & Muscle, and thanks for letting me clarify my points.
Here is a breakdown of a peer reviewed study that showed 20x boost for men in GH and 13x boost for women.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is a breakdown of a peer reviewed study that showed 20x boost for men in GH and 13x boost for women.

Not even a DOI number?

Dude...

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Not even a DOI number?

Dude...
Sorry no time to try and track that one down right now in the actual study...it was peer reviewed and presented at a cardiologist conference so it's not nothing.

Here is one that talks about GH inhibiting muscle protein breakdown while fasting

Last edited:

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry no time to try and track that one down right now in the actual study...it was peer reviewed and presented at a cardiologist conference so it's not nothing.

Here is one that talks about GH inhibiting muscle protein breakdown while fasting

Right, I don't dispute that GH can conserve muscle mass when in a caloric deficit.

I'm waiting for you to show me a study that shows 7x, or 1300%, or 2000% increase in GH. Even the headline you posted that referenced other studies - those studies did not show the numbers you have claimed.

Here's one of them.
doi.org/10.2217/fca.11.50

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Right, I don't dispute that GH can conserve muscle mass when in a caloric deficit.

I'm waiting for you to show me a study that shows 7x, or 1300%, or 2000% increase in GH. Even the headline you posted that referenced other studies - those studies did not show the numbers you have claimed.

Here's one of them.
I am pretty sure I posted a link to one of the studies showing a 700% increase in one of the other times this topic has come up...I will try and find it in a bit.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

Here's one of them.

Also, here is a link to something that can help quite a bit in terms of finding studies and research using AI...you basically type in what you want and it finds studies and then consolidates them and gives you the findings along with links to the various studies.

Perplexity.ai

obelisk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BITG, do you aim for eating at maintenance during your non-fast days?

I've done enough dry and water fasts for health and religious reasons over the past few years that I can get through a 24-36hr fast without much issue. I eat pure carnivore (or try to) as I feel infinitely better with no brain fog and just prefer the feeling. (not looking to argue the pros and cons of carnivore, think what you all want) However, I got the flu on Thanksgiving and have been having a harder time eating closer to maintenance lately and finding it far too easy to come in way under calories on a given day.

I like the idea of a Wed/Fri water fast with 5 days otherwise. Just curious if you're aiming for maintenance, or a slight deficit or surplus with the 2 days of full fasting already in your schedule. I think some additional structure to my weekly program would be helpful. Do you aim your strength training days on the non-fast days or does it not impact you?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
BITG, do you aim for eating at maintenance during your non-fast days?

I've done enough dry and water fasts for health and religious reasons over the past few years that I can get through a 24-36hr fast without much issue. I eat pure carnivore (or try to) as I feel infinitely better with no brain fog and just prefer the feeling. (not looking to argue the pros and cons of carnivore, think what you all want) However, I got the flu on Thanksgiving and have been having a harder time eating closer to maintenance lately and finding it far too easy to come in way under calories on a given day.

I like the idea of a Wed/Fri water fast with 5 days otherwise. Just curious if you're aiming for maintenance, or a slight deficit or surplus with the 2 days of full fasting already in your schedule. I think some additional structure to my weekly program would be helpful. Do you aim your strength training days on the non-fast days or does it not impact you?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
It depends.

When I was up at 245 lbs, I was using about a 500 calorie deficit per day even on non fasting days. This worked well until I hit about 190 lbs or so, then I ended up getting "stuck" for while within about a 3-4 range for a few weeks.

As normal, when this happens to me, the answer is to up my calories, so I went back to maintenance for a few weeks, then cut back only 200 calories per day on non-fasting days and the weight started coming off again.

This is always a tough time of year for me, but I managed to hit 178 lbs and am still holding under 185 lbs even with a lot of not great eating days. Honestly with how things normally go at this time of year I am pretty thrilled by this.

I likely am probably intaking 3500+ calories at least 2 times a week, if not 3. Has basically had no effect tho since I still am getting 12-20K steps in per day, intense resistance training 4x a week and have added slam ball finishers post workouts, which is taking over for my inability to do weighted sled pulls in the winter.

If I can get thru the holidays at this weight I will be set up really well moving forward.

I have found that it takes some experimentation in regards to caloric intake on non-fast days. Also depends on your goals. Are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle? Probably a good start would be maintenance levels for 2 weeks. When you change calories you need to give it at least 2 weeks to get a good read on things, otherwise you risk driving yourself crazy and not really getting anywhere.

If you are losing weight you don't want to lose, raise it by 200 calories at a time. If it's too much lower it by 200 calories.

Then re-assess where you are after 2 weeks again. Then repeat the process if needed and you can start dialing it in a little more with 100 calorie increments, etc.

In general, I fast on days I am off from lifting.

Hope that helps...if there is something I missed, let me know and I can re-answer.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you just list the equation names you used? Mifflin St-Jeor as an example? Just trying to make sense of the numbers - I don't need the entire math breakdown.
NP! Katch McArdle. But instead of height I inputted bf%. Then I added another variable which I neglected to mention. Moderate activity. The study I used was young men moderately active.
Here is a quote from the study below. The parenthesis are mine" The main thesis of this paper is that the FM (fat mass) is able to transfer energy to the FFM (fat free mass) up to a maximum rate of (290±25) kJ/kg d. In realistic energy deficit situations, the actual transfer rate is decreased by activity considerations."

I used 30 calories by converting 290 kilojoules to calories. 290= 69.3 calories per kilogram= 31.5 calories from 1 lb of fat. Then -/+25kilojoules. So using the same formula, (-) is 265 KJ.........28.79 calories per lb of fat. (+) is 316 KJ............34.2 calories per lb of fat. So I picked 30 calories because it's an easy number between 28 and 34. Although a great study, the fact that they are young healthy men I would think is a variable.
'm of the belief that if someone is fat (>20%BF) and/or not trained/detrained, that muscle can still be gained during a deficit (recomp). Once getting lean beyond those numbers, or if already carrying significant muscle mass, I would agree that muscle stops accruing when in a deficit.
The only caveat I have to that belief is that when steroids are involved, you can gain muscle in a deficit - even lose fat during a bulk (provided it is a lean bulk and taking Tren and/or Anavar). But pharmaceuticals are a cheat code anyhow.
So based on those variables you could be right, I don't know. A severe caloric restriction may have a person losing lean mass in 4-5 days. Tren and/or Anavar would definitely increase protein synthesis as long as the person is consuming enough protein over and above his maintenance needs and with the right stimulus. Another variable. Both sedentary and extreme workouts can induce muscle loss under the right conditions. (Food energy and rest). I think to give it a chance a person should be at a calorie deficit each week while eating in surplus around training days. To my original comment. Somewhere in my Dropbox I have a study that shows caloric restriction of a year on nonobese people. Health markers got better, they got stronger, and...................................lost muscle mass. But again, variables.
Curious on your thoughts as to Lyle MacDonald's Rapid Fatloss Handbook approach (PSMF) if you're familiar.
It works! Certainly not sustainable but not designed to be. Lyle wouldn't know me but he used to give me advice on cuts on an old forum called Cyberpump in the mid nineties. He's always had a cloud over him because he associated with Dan Duchaine and because he has only his undergraduate. He was putting into practice what many researchers were only theorizing about. Someone would tell him a scientific reason why something won't work while it's been working for him and his athletes for 20 years, and he knows why. His books may not be heavy in citations but I bet he knows them. Put more citations in his books and they would put many doctorial dissertations to shame.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not even a DOI number?

Dude...
You guys could be more in agreement than you think. The thing with studies is that researchers have to do their best to get published and garner headlines. This may help them get more notoriety among their peers and funding for future research. One way they do this is presenting results using absolute increases/ decreases or relative increases/ decreases, whichever fits their agenda. The statin industry is excellent at this. Say 3.7% of people taking statins died of heart attack and 4.8% taking a placebo die from heart attack. Then the absolute risk reduction of taking a statin is a paltry 1.1%. When it goes to the press it will show a 23% reduction in death if you take their statin. (Relative effect). 1.1% divided by 4.8% = 23%. So it's hard to come to a consensus sometimes when one person is arguing the absolute benefit while the other is touting relative benefit when they could both be right. I haven't looked at any of the research you guys have put up, so I could be wrong, just saying.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
NP! Katch McArdle. But instead of height I inputted bf%. Then I added another variable which I neglected to mention. Moderate activity. The study I used was young men moderately active.

Here is a quote from the study below. The parenthesis are mine" The main thesis of this paper is that the FM (fat mass) is able to transfer energy to the FFM (fat free mass) up to a maximum rate of (290±25) kJ/kg d. In realistic energy deficit situations, the actual transfer rate is decreased by activity considerations."

I used 30 calories by converting 290 kilojoules to calories. 290= 69.3 calories per kilogram= 31.5 calories from 1 lb of fat. Then -/+25kilojoules. So using the same formula, (-) is 265 KJ.........28.79 calories per lb of fat. (+) is 316 KJ............34.2 calories per lb of fat. So I picked 30 calories because it's an easy number between 28 and 34. Although a great study, the fact that they are young healthy men I would think is a variable.

So based on those variables you could be right, I don't know. A severe caloric restriction may have a person losing lean mass in 4-5 days. Tren and/or Anavar would definitely increase protein synthesis as long as the person is consuming enough protein over and above his maintenance needs and with the right stimulus. Another variable. Both sedentary and extreme workouts can induce muscle loss under the right conditions. (Food energy and rest). I think to give it a chance a person should be at a calorie deficit each week while eating in surplus around training days. To my original comment. Somewhere in my Dropbox I have a study that shows caloric restriction of a year on nonobese people. Health markers got better, they got stronger, and...................................lost muscle mass. But again, variables.

It works! Certainly not sustainable but not designed to be. Lyle wouldn't know me but he used to give me advice on cuts on an old forum called Cyberpump in the mid nineties. He's always had a cloud over him because he associated with Dan Duchaine and because he has only his undergraduate. He was putting into practice what many researchers were only theorizing about. Someone would tell him a scientific reason why something won't work while it's been working for him and his athletes for 20 years, and he knows why. His books may not be heavy in citations but I bet he knows them. Put more citations in his books and they would put many doctorial dissertations to shame.
There's a lot to unpack here. It's awesome that you got to work with Lyle in any fashion.

Again, thank you for the response - I look forward to more conversations with you!

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I've actually temporarily stopped fasting as I was not seeing any results over the prior 2 months from it, or very minimal.

What I am learning is that fasting is a great tool to use to get you to a certain point quickly but then I think it becomes diminishing returns.

Since going back to eating daily in a 500ish calorie deficit while still carb cycling, I have found that various aches, pains and pulls that I was getting routinely have suddenly vanished, which makes me think I wasn't getting enough nutrients to repair these issues while fasting twice a week.

As I did it for over a year, there was a lot of time for these issues to creep up slowly which made it difficult to attribute these to fasting itself. I still can't say 100% with any accuracy that this was the cause but it does seem odd they improved and went away within 2-3 weeks of me eating daily again.

Also have noticed a slow and steady decrease in the scale on a near daily basis. Part of the issue I started noticing was that after fasts I would be so hungry I would go ham on food and be less restrictive. So this ended up likely having me stuck around +/- 5 lbs of 180ish for a while. Currently at 176 and expecting 175s tomorrow.

Going to stick with this til May and then re-evaluate.