I'm scared, please help me out

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This seems like the right place to post this... Ahead I apologise for the long post, but please stay with me.

Something happened to me with puberty. I mean, besides the normal hormonal stuff. I lost drive. The passion of living. I stopped looking forward to the next day, stopped enjoying life. Things started seeming trivial and inconsequential. I am turning 18 years old in a few days, and I still do not have a driver's license. I can drive, both standard and automatic, but can't parallel park, and don't have the motivation to go out and learn it. Same with hobbies. I have virtually none that are of any real consequence in this world. School suffered too. Before, I used to strive for knowledge, learn on my own. Now, it's different.

This started happening 7 years ago, and I have been searching for that motivation, that drive, for the last 2. I mean, I honestly want to go out and live life to the fullest, since this is the time of my life that I am supposed to remember with a smile on my face when I'm 40. But I know I won't. I read most of the stuff on this site, bible and all, and some self-help books and ebooks, but it feels like nothing I see, hear, or read will change it. No matter that I may die tomorrow, I just don't care.

And I'm not depressed or anything. I'm pretty happy most of the time, except when I realise that life is passing me by and I have nothing to contribute.

I tried joining clubs and teams, but it felt that I was doing it for myself, to make new friends, and not because I cared about the cause. I didn't want to contribute to something greater than myself. It felt forced, so I didn't try hard. For some reason, I just couldn't find it within me.

I don't have many real friends. I think it's because I don't care that much about people. They sense that, and reciprocate. In other words, when I go out, it's not because I really wanna see 'so and so', but because I want to socialize and be seen as social.

I am in my first year of university, but carreer-wise, I want to be a model. People do tell me that I have the looks, so I know I can, but deep down, I admit to myself that modelling is something I want to do because it's the path of least resistance. I don't have to go to school for it (much), and can coast on what I was born with to make a living. And I'm vain.

Anyway, I'm really scared of what's been happening. I hope, almost pray, that it's only temporary, that as I age, it will pass and I will live as I always imagined I should, but I know that without me doing anything about it, it won't happen. I'm tired of everything in my life being about me. Maybe if I extend myself to the rest of the world, the world will be kind and similarly fill up my life?

So do you know anything that may spark the passion that died? Any books that changed you outlook on life? Maybe volunteering? Have you experienced something similar? Then share how you came out of it, if you have. If not, let's search together.

In the end, I really hope you won't take this as whining, because I'm not. I post because I seemingly exhausted every other means of finding the cure.

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like you have some type of depression. None of us are really qualified to help you, you should talk to an expert.

DJ_in_making

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stop thinking about not living life and live it...

It seems you're worried so much about making the most of life right now that you're missing the whole point. It's very ironic actually. If I may ask this question- and I'm not trying to be sarcastic-

Why are you doing all this?

You say you don't really care about friends but you are doing it b/c it seems like a chore. Who's making you do it. It seems like you're trying to "live life to the fullest" b.c. it's what you HAVE to do. When it starts to seem like a chore it makes no sense.

IMO you should do what makes you happy. B/c say making friends and partying is "living life to the fullest for someone else" it may not be for you. Do what ever makes you happy.

Don't worry though. I had a post about my fear of turning 18 a week ago. Ironic eh?

laffytaffygirl

Don Juan
Reaction score
This happens to everyone in their life. When you realize you're getting older. then the question is .. "Now what?" You have a lot to look forward to. 18 is just the begining of adulthood. More freedom. If you need someone to talk to... I'll be glad to help you out. PM me if you want.

No guys this is nothing like that. Happily taken, nothing will change that except for him or I.