Im not getting big at all?! After months of gym.. EPIC FAIL

spax

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Help me out here.

I've been going to the gym for about 3 months, about 3 times a week for 1 hour each time.

I have noticed some improvement in my biceps, but Im still a skinny guy! Like really skinny. It sucks!

I eat stacks of protein. I eat 3 eggs for breakfast and a 30g protein shake.

I eat about 40 grams of protein from tuna for lunch.

I eat about 30grams of protein from some meat for dinner, and rice or potato.

I have another protein shake.

And usually before each work out, I eat about 20grams of protein from tuna, and have a shake afterwards.

BUT, IM SKINNY! Im not bulky or ripped at all. Just a normal skinny guy! Any help? Can anyone help me out with a routine or diet changes?

Thanks

ssj4halo

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be 110 pounds 3 years ago. Now I am a little over 150 pounds. Hate to say this but getting bigger is not a 1 2 step process. It takes time and persistence. Your diet looks good.

Are you eating enough fats? get about 100g fat everyday(monosaturated/polyunsaturated/omega 3)

How are your lifts going? If your lifts are increasing then you are fine. You body tends to grow randomely. Somtimes it tends to just grow and sometimes it stays still.

How are your workouts? Are you switching it up to avoid plateus? Are you using free weights only? Are you doing compound excercies only? These means you have to be doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, shoulder press, pull ups, etc.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you actually getting stronger?
how about telling us what you were lifting at the beginning compared to now?

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
spax said:
Hey guys,

Help me out here.

I've been going to the gym for about 3 months, about 3 times a week for 1 hour each time.

I have noticed some improvement in my biceps, but Im still a skinny guy! Like really skinny. It sucks!

And usually before each work out, I eat about 20grams of protein from tuna, and have a shake afterwards.

BUT, IM SKINNY! Im not bulky or ripped at all. Just a normal skinny guy! Any help? Can anyone help me out with a routine or diet changes?

Thanks
The advice is simple: get on a tried and tested beginners routine, get plenty of calories and at least 1.5g or protein per lb of bodyweight, and weight another six months.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your version of "stacks" and my version of "stacks" differ.

And yet another phrase is ruined by overuse and misuse: "epic fail."

Really? Not growing bigger is an epic fail?

Last edited:

Maxtro H & F

Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems like you are simply not eating enough calories. Your protein levels look fine.

What is your age/height/weight/body fat?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smack said:
The advice is simple: get on a tried and tested beginners routine, get plenty of calories and at least 1.5g or protein per lb of bodyweight, and weight another six months.
Close, but not quite.

You're eating plenty of protein, yet its not working. Why? Because your body doesn't NEED that much protein. 0.8g/lb aka 1.5g/kg of bodyweight protein is the maximum you need. Eating more protein won't magically make you bigger. Calories + protein in the right amounts make you bigger.

You NEED to eat more. Protein doesn't build muscles by itself. You need the carbs and/or fats. You need energy for your body to burn and do its stuff. 1hr working out doesn't mean anything. I can workout for hours by doing a few sets and talking for an hour in between each set, whopee.

How much do you LIFT?

Furyguy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're not doin squats, bench presses, and dead lifts, start doin em! Low rep high weight. 5x5 works. Watch videos and pay close attention so you don't hurt yourself.

If you're already doin that, put more weight on there and push yourself harder.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spax said:
Hey guys,

Help me out here.

Thanks
Whoa, this is some kind of joke, right?

dispatch

Don Juan
Reaction score
Join the club hey! Haha, seriously though this stuff takes longer than 3 months. You're on the right track. Do the squats and deads, and listen to Epsi, thats pretty much the best advice anyone could give in general terms.

5x5 works pretty well by the way. Google stronglifts 5x5

And eat more. eat when you feel full. put more in the shakes. eat more often. keep hitting it hard.
.disp

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Close, but not quite.

You're eating plenty of protein, yet its not working. Why? Because your body doesn't NEED that much protein. 0.8g/lb aka 1.5g/kg of bodyweight protein is the maximum you need. Eating more protein won't magically make you bigger. Calories + protein in the right amounts make you bigger.

You NEED to eat more. Protein doesn't build muscles by itself. You need the carbs and/or fats. You need energy for your body to burn and do its stuff. 1hr working out doesn't mean anything. I can workout for hours by doing a few sets and talking for an hour in between each set, whopee.

How much do you LIFT?
Well you can continue believing that and the people who are big, strong and train others to be big and strong will continue to use the 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and get much better results. I have an extremely hard time growing on less than 1.5g which for me is well over 300g per day.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Smack said:
Well you can continue believing that and the people who are big, strong and train others to be big and strong will continue to use the 1.5g per lb of bodyweight and get much better results. I have an extremely hard time growing on less than 1.5g which for me is well over 300g per day.
Again. Biological limitations. If you want to continue with the 1.5g/lb of bodyweight because it gets you calories that's perfectly fine. But its not the extra protein that's helping. It's the calories from the excess protein that's being burned as fuel instead of being used for muscle repair.

Or maybe you're counting your protein different. Meat from tuna, chicken, beef is only ~20% protein.

ssj4halo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Its been 2.5 years and I still need to gain about 5-10 LBM and lose about 5 lbs of fat for my ideal body. On top of that, for the last 1.5 years I actually was counting calories and tracking my body fat. Trust me, my gains were great.

The point i am making is 3 months is nothing. Keep up the work though! You can do it.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Again. Biological limitations. If you want to continue with the 1.5g/lb of bodyweight because it gets you calories that's perfectly fine. But its not the extra protein that's helping. It's the calories from the excess protein that's being burned as fuel instead of being used for muscle repair.

Or maybe you're counting your protein different. Meat from tuna, chicken, beef is only ~20% protein.
If I consume the extra calories from carbs I get fat. It is the extra protein that is helping. I know what works for me, and that's a minimum of 1.5g.

There's a lot of BS information out there about this kind of stuff, that came from studies in which couch potatoes were the subjects. Obviously those who lift heavy weights often will be different. Squat four plates each side and then tell me your body can only absorb so much protein.

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're not growing you're not eating. Looks like you're trying to grow from protein alone. It doesn't work that way. You need to eat large amounts of food if you want your body to grow.

Mavrick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cry For Love said:
This is all there is to it! All there is besides working out and resting, that is. I've gone from 149lbs to 185lbs in one year. Every time I get stuck at a certain weight, I have to add more food to my diet. My goal is a lean 190lbs, and I will get there.

Consume food!

Lusterkx2

Don Juan
Reaction score
OMG me too thread maker! Ive been eating real good 6 times a day protein with every meal whole wheat bread. Drinking my protein working about an hour and 20 minutes. Getting good sleep.. And im still the same size. Ive been doing it for about 2 months and guess what happened yesterday. I weighed myself and Only gained 5 pounds. T_T. I wanted to just call it quit, because all my hard work and there was no result. I too is looking for the answer on whats happening!!

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Captain Harlock said:
If you're not growing you're not eating. Looks like you're trying to grow from protein alone. It doesn't work that way. You need to eat large amounts of food if you want your body to grow.
That is simply not true at all. Plenty of people manage to add muscle mass by eating very little carbs. Food =/= muscle. If you're eating a mainly carb diet you're probably going to get fat.

ssj4halo

Don Juan
Reaction score
smack is right. It also depends on your body type to some degree. I gained the most muscle weight when I kept my protein intake to about 1.5g per lb and my carbs 200g and fat 100g.

Then again everyone is different. Thats why just do you own thing and track you bodyfat every week or so. Then make adjustments until you find your sweet spot in terms of the ratio(protein/carb/fat)

THe protein intake is always under attack. Just try all the strategies and once you find one that works for you, stick to it.