Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm flat footed. Can I still join the military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And I hear you can't join the military if your flat footed. Why is this?:down:

I've never felt any pains in my feet for as much as I know. I do lots of physical activites too, Base ball, boxing, running.

Anyone who is in the military please answer this question. Thank you.

MicCheck1-2

Don Juan
Reaction score
A recruiter once told me that he couldn't join because HE was flatfooted. This is unfortunately true. I don't know why, it just is.

TACH

Don Juan
Reaction score
Now let's say the draft was reinstated just for the purpose of my question here.

Would people that weren't allowed to join, be drafted? Huh, huh??

fender85

Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on how bad it is, and if it's symptomatic or asymptomatic. If you just have a really low arch (like me) then you should be ok. If it's bad, you may be able to get a waiver if you can prove that you can handle physical stress. Only real way to find out for sure is to go to MEPS and see what happens.

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a seizure disorder which pretty much disqualify's me from any enlistment into the military. However I have been told that I could join as an officer or at the very least a limited duty officer. If you really wanted to enlist in the military and couldn't because of your condition, you can always at least check that out.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason they don't like flat-footedness is because it causes problems when carrying heavy loads and standing for long periods of time. It's just a generally unhealthy and risky thing for a soldier to be flat-footed--the last thing they need is an immobilized soldier because his blew out an achilles or has cramps in his legs.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I have flat feet and at times have drop arches, not a good thing for a soldier

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nevermind on that I got an normal arch so I'm cool but looking in the mirror it didnt look normal but i did some tests and stood in water and than in a dry spot and it came out normal like this first foot arch in this drawing

http://www.hood-meddac.army.mil/images/surgery/feet.jpg

So I'm able to enlist ^_^

ohiofutballa

Don Juan
Reaction score
I read in a book that ex-president Jimmy Carter had flat feet, and rolled his bare feet over empty coca-cola bottles. Might have just been temporary, but he got accepted into the airforce(or navy?). Not something id try though until I talked to a doctor.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MicCheck1-2
A recruiter once told me that he couldn't join because HE was flatfooted.
This contradicts itself. If he couldn't join then how did he become a recruiter? :rolleyes:

MicCheck1-2

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
This contradicts itself. If he couldn't join then how did he become a recruiter? :rolleyes:
He had to wait two years. After two years the military "forgets" your history with them. The second time he went to visit the naval doctor, the doctor let him "slide". I'm not saying this to bs anyone, it's really the truth.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea you can join.... theyre taking anybody for the military these days, at least in texas they are. Ive got about 20 calls from sargents or whatever trying to recruit me. i wouldnt mind going but i have other plans.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MicCheck1-2
I'm not saying this to bs anyone, it's really the truth.
Not since 1948. Now it depends on how severe it is - in fact, the military gives insoles to people with flatfoot.

https://www-nshspts.med.navy.mil/Courses/Physical/Manual/def75.htm

"It was not long ago that flat feet would keep somebody out of the military," Dr. Glenn Pfeffer said in a Web-based news conference organized by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. "This attitude changed in 1948, when a study of 3,600 recruits showed that a flat arch did not preclude military service. Just because you can join the army, however, doesn't mean that your flat feet don't hurt."

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They are desperate for new recruits. Soon it will be at a point where they take paraplegics.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Now is definately not the time to join the military. If your gonna join at least wait until Bush is out of office.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Capt.Jack Sparrow
Nevermind on that I got an normal arch so I'm cool ...
So I'm able to enlist ^_^
Originally posted by Dust 2 Dust
at least wait until Bush is out of office.
Sounds like the question has been answered and the original poster has already made a decision. Since this has the potential for getting political quickly, thread closed. If the OP has any further questions about it PM me and appropriate action will be taken on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.