Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm buying a used car, any advice?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Before you even start it, pull the dip stick and check the oil. It should look fairly new. Black sludge means they never changed the oil; cloudy or milky oil means that the head gasket is about to blow. I looked at an SUV once, and refused to buy it due to milk oil. The girl selling it got mad, told me it ran fine...and then the head gasket blew ten miles down the road after she left.

Ask to see maintenance records. Ask about the timing belt -that is a big deal if it has not been changed on schedule.

What is your budget? What kind of car do you want? Do you want to go fast or be reliable?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
I want to get a Honda Civic, 2003-2006. Price range 10-14k.
Do you really want to spend 10-14k on such a boring car?

I think it's always best to chose the car you want, then do heaps of research on that car.

You will usually find out where the rust forms, common mechanical faults and what to look for on that car when buying.

Also make sure you know the changes(if any) the car goes through every year. Because it might look exactly the same as last years but without the faults of last years model.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You must take it to a mechanic before you commit.

I did not do this to the car I bought and ended up getting screwed. The car actually had under body damage and the catalytic converter was dented when I bought the car. It cost me about $1.7k to pass the smog check two years later. The air conditioning also stopped working about three months after I bought it.

Everything else about the car was beautiful. But if I knew about the problems it had I wouldn't have bought it. It was the first car I ever bought so I was a little over excited.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats a good way to look up used car listings? So far I'm using craigslist.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should try a used car dealership. Sometimes you get lucky and see the car you want, in just the right color too.

T

tj

Make sure it is no older than four years old.

Take over payments is usually the best option.

Find someone who is willing to take you to an auction for a little cash on the side.

peace