Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I'm 35 and still love video games, my woman doesn't get it

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For me, I'd rather play video games than watch TV sitcoms or practically anything that comes on television for the exception of NBA/NFL and documentaries; however, this comes as a problem for my woman who maintains the archaic belief that video games are for children.

Now, before you ask, I don't play video games 4-5 hours a day, but I'd like to squeeze in 2 if possible without having to hear her b*tch about me "hogging" the big screen (which I own) for something as dumb as video games, but it's difficult to convey the right message to a woman because they're hardwired to marginalize any casual hobby traditionally outside of their realm of understanding and skill, specifically one that demands sheer focus from their partner when, according to them, that focus should be set or shared.

So, in an effort to soothe this issue, I've elected to buy games that both of us can enjoy. Games like Mario Kart and 3D World. Granted, this comes as the cost of me enjoying the more single-player and online focused video games I enjoy, but it helps her understand the lure of the hobby. She enjoys those game, for the most part.

My question for the rest of you, especially the ones in a relationship, is do you sometimes find yourself at odds with your partner over video games or any similar casual hobby? If so, how do you squash the issue?

62Telecaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
You grew up during the era that I did...the whole golden age of NES followed by Nintendo vs Sega, then Sony . I follow gaming as well, althought I've dropped off immensely in terms of actual playing interest. But growing up.during that era is 100% the reason why both you and I still have games in our lives. We're the first generation of kids to grow older and not ditch gaming...before us, it was a kids thing, where you just sort of became too old for games after a while and lost interest. We're different though because we grew with the industry and have such strong memories of games and experiemlnces overall. For us, it's just sort of always been there and always will be there...like watching TV, movies, or music. I'm willing to bet that she never got into games as a kid and didn't follow along throughout the different systems and business storylines to get hooked like we did.

To solve the TV issue, why don't you just use the Wii U's game pad as the main screen while she uses the TV? I think PS4 streams to PS Vita as well.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My wife doesn't really give me **** about playing video games. For a few reasons

1. I hardly ever play them anymore. I won't say I've grown out of video games, but I don't mindlessly play games anymore. They are too base and boring to hold my interest. I'll get into a really good game. Right now I'm playing Bioshock infinite for PS3 and even that honestly, it's just riviting. I'm just doing it.

A game like.. Heavy Rain or Metal Gear Solid, a game iwht a real plot that's difficult that makes me think I will get into but I just don't mindlessly play games anymore. More times than not I'll put it on netflix or something if I want to unwind. At 31 I get 10x more enjoyment out of a TV show like Sherlock than I do playing TitanFall

2. she sleeps early, i generally have about 3 hours to myself every night when no one is awake. I go to bed about 1am she goes to bed about 10pm. So she never really sees me play them anyway.

I have to somewhat agree with the girl honestly. At 35, Killzone should not be able to hold your interest for 2 hours a day. There are times, where I need something mind numbing like NCAA football or madden or something where no thought is required, Watch Dogs, something like that, but i can't do this for 2-3 hoursa day.

IF you want to play that bad, get a setup in your room. I have a ps3 in my work room as well if the wife is watching TV I will go in my own little work room and fire it up.

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I have to somewhat agree with the girl honestly. At 35, Killzone should not be able to hold your interest for 2 hours a day. There are times, where I need something mind numbing like NCAA football or madden or something where no thought is required, Watch Dogs, something like that, but i can't do this for 2-3 hoursa day.
Why? Why is it more mature (since you brought up age) for someone to vegetate in front of the TV for 2 hours watching a TV show like Sherlock and yet it's not okay to engage in a video game for the same amount of time?

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried the approach of trying to get her to understand what it was all about, years ago.

All it ended up doing was bothering her even more because if I even whiffed at my Xbox, she took that was it was ALWAYS time for US to play. There was no separation between the activities anymore.

They will never co-sign on something that takes away the attention you give them as long as they are physically around.

The person I was with actually deemed it "competition". As much as you'd love to get her to understand, she probably isn't. There are women nowadays that will understand that you need your own time, whether it's the gym, video games, a bar with your buddies, playing sports... if she doesn't understand it now and doesn't like it, it's probably not going to get any better either.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess women think that playing video games is immature, as opposed to watching some rom-com starring Katherine Heigl. :crackup:

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I have two spare hours a day to do whatever I like there is no way in hell I'm playing video games or watching TV.

I won't comment on the issues you are having with your gf but try cutting all video games and TV out of your life for a month or so and watch how much your life improves.

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Slickster said:
If I have two spare hours a day to do whatever I like there is no way in hell I'm playing video games or watching TV.

I won't comment on the issues you are having with your gf but try cutting all video games and TV out of your life for a month or so and watch how much your life improves.
How would it improve, exactly? And if you were me, what would you be doing instead for those 2 hours?

logicallefty

Reaction score
My thought on a 35 year old playing video games is this "So long as you are the one paying for the games, paying for the electricity they use, and paying for the house you are playing them in, then you have a right to play them and do WTF you want". On the other hand, if your GF or mother are footing the bill and not you, then you are a real looser and don't need to be touching a video game until you can afford to foot the bill. It sounds like you are paying the bill in your case, so yeah, tell your woman to either join you or leave you the F alone and let you have your down time.

Teddy_Beer

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're a responsible man, then she has no right to judge you.

You're 35 and play video games...

SO WHAT?????

I'm 30 and don't see myself stopping anytime soon

Valentino14

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure your woman watches sh1tty TV shows that she feels is entertaining so she really has no room to talk when you're being entertained playing video games. I'd make that point real clear to her if she's making an issue out of it.

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty lucky in this regard in that I actually took time and sat down with my woman and explained in full detail how the tribe programming what we watch on the TV *Ahem* How do I put this delicately.....doesn't have the best interests of you and yours at heart. I showed her the timeline and destruction of what a steady IV drip of leftist indoctrination from the zombie box has done to Western countries and the direction men and women have taken from point A to B in just 5 or so decades. All backed up by statistics and facts of course.

I'm also pretty lucky in that she's from a traditional Greek orthodox upbringing and suspected a good chunk of this new information from gut instinct alone. Once I explained all this and set the foundation I then told her I literally can no longer stomach 95%-ish of what comes out of the TV and I don't want my children in front of it for long. (She was turning it on first thing sat mornings)
She's pretty good in that all she watches is her home improvement and cooking shows now. We wake up now and have family time without some faggot telling us all how much we should be loving sodomy and hate Putin etc etc. It's phucking bliss. :rockon:

BetterCallSaul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I play video games too and I enjoy it. Frankly I love that today I have good solid choices for entertainment in my home. 30+ years ago about the old choices you had were the radio or the tv, and that was over the air. Many places all over the nation didn't even have cable available and satellite at the time immensely expensive.

So if you watched tv, you were at the mercy of whatever crappy programming was on one of the 3 or 4 channels you received. If you lived in the city you may have had more but still crappy programming. That's probably why people went outside a lot more often or just "went out" in general.

I think the key is to not overdo it and start binging on the games which I admit I've done on occasion.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I swear I'm not trolling, stirring the pot, or just being contrary.

I think video games are the number one thing messing up our generation (I'm 33) and those coming after it. We all have our focus be it drugs, feminism, cell phones, etc. All of which play a part but video games are the constant. EVERY dude I know who isn't doing sh!t in his life has a video game addiction. Minor compared to drug addiction but still nibbling away in millions of tiny bites.

Not to say that every gamer isn't doing sh!t but unless you play SIMPLY to decompress once in awhile they aren't positive in the least. 2 hours a night could easily be spent doing something better. Reading or running. Spending time with the wife and kids. Cooking something tasty or nutritious. Playing guitar. Riding a bike. There are hundreds of things that are better than video games.

They are harder to enjoy because they take a little effort though. And nobody ever wants to do that.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chill-Out Time Is Sacred, Man

Buy her a TV in another room, like the bedroom for example, get another cable box, and tell her to leave you the fück alone when it's chill-out time. Explain to her with great passion that serial killers get created when people interfere with chill-out time, and that the only reason they commit those heinous crimes is to be in a cell with, you guessed it, eternal chill-out time.

You don't try to eat her out when she's talking to her mom on the phone, right? Well then she's gotta leave you in peace to recharge your batteries. :up:

AmIAFC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
FairShake said:
Not to say that every gamer isn't doing sh!t but unless you play SIMPLY to decompress once in awhile they aren't positive in the least. 2 hours a night could easily be spent doing something better. Reading or running. Spending time with the wife and kids. Cooking something tasty or nutritious. Playing guitar. Riding a bike. There are hundreds of things that are better than video games.

They are harder to enjoy because they take a little effort though. And nobody ever wants to do that.
There are a hundred things better than video games, but I don't have time for any of that BS after a 12-hour shift crunching numbers. Ride a bike? Running? Kiss my @$$ with that, dude, and f*** a book, too. I read enough at work.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
for real? don't matter if you play video game, watch tv, or play soccer do another sport on your free time, she will nag and complain about you doing it because you are not using that time to give her your currency, your focus, your atencion, that is all, don't matter what you do, she will try to change that on you, and you shouldn't.

but lets limit our focus now to only games is for children, things is I don't watch tv anymore, maybe a serie here and there if I'm that tired and jsut want to let my body lose on a sofa without much thinking, but I find it a hell lot more boring I stay in a place without thinking,

I also find games having better story then films, and most films story I already saw in games even before, alien invasion, zombies, demons whatever film they make I play a game based on it who did better, my normal nights I play 3 hours, pretty much go home eat something, gym, then go back, a little play till I find myself lseepy enough for me lay down, course some days I don't play since I go out, its a hobby I do when I have free time, and i'm really willing to change it for anyone, even less for a woman who thinks its childish, I find more childish you follow the artists lives or that fashion shows, not only they are boring, but useless.

@AmIAFC

its even funny, she complain when you play but not when she is playing with you, so again why you think she complains?

@FairShake

its not about have better things to do its about doing what you like, I don't like dancing, and would never spend my time doing it, but some people like it, same I prefer to fight and learn others fighting styles, and would do so given opportunity to it, its all about taste, do what you like, doing so you will not feel like you are losing time or having better things to do

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When he was a new recruit, my buddy's commander told him, "When you decide you are tired of videogames, get married." Well my buddy still likes video games and at 38 he has no plans to get married.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AmIAFC said:
There are a hundred things better than video games, but I don't have time for any of that BS after a 12-hour shift crunching numbers. Ride a bike? Running? Kiss my @$$ with that, dude, and f*** a book, too. I read enough at work.
Fair enough.

Personally if I spent 12 hours a day looking at screens the last thing I'd want to do is spend the next 2 looking at another screen. My job is at least as stressful as your's sounds and all I want to do when I'm done is be outside doing something. Living a life outside of work.

But different strokes for different folks.