Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I signed up at the gym and they gave me this plan

OpIvy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Before going to the gym, I knew I needed a plan if I wanted to bulk up. I read the stickies by EFFORT and DIESEL and saw that I should do squats, deadlifts, and bench pressing. At my college's gym, we get a free hour to consult with a personal trainer and make a fitness plan. I told him that I wanted squats, deadlifts, and benching to be a major part of my workout. This is what we came up with. Each workout will have 3 sets and 6 reps. He said that if I can do 8 reps or more, then its not enough weight.

Back Squat
Dead Lift
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Knee Extension
Calf

Bench Press
Lat Pull Down
Incline bench press
Seated row (It's cardio, so I'm a bit wary)
Pectoral Fly
Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Backrow
Bicep Curl
Tricep Extension
Low Cable Curl (as a bicep suppliment)
Dips
Forearms (rock a weight back and fourth with my wrist, 10-15 reps)

My concern is that there are too many workouts and that maybe squats/deads/bench are only a small part of the plan. How should I change it? I'm 5'9 and 145lbs right now.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The more and more I work out and read things the more I'm starting to think the following.

Anyone who isn't very experienced (several years of progression) has no real reason to do anything but flat bench, pullups, incline or military press, bent over rows, dips, squats, deadlifts and maybe a little bit of ab work now and then... and not even all those necessarily at the same time.

Get the weights up in those and you'll be big all around. It's pretty simple and no where near magic. Learn the form of the exerises... eat... get proper rest. k.i.s.s.

shrug just my opinion... i'm no expert.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I really suggest you buy the book "Beyond brawn" by Stuart McRobert. It has very good information in it which you as a natural lifter will benefit from.

The plan is made up like most plans are. They focus too much on the smaller details instead of giving you pure mass.

I would change it around a little and do as following:

DAY 1 LEGS, SHOULDERS

4xMilitary presses 4-8 reps
4xStiff leg deadlifts 6-10 reps
4xSquats 4-8 reps
4xCalf Raises 6-10 reps

DAY 3 CHEST, TRICEPS, BICEPS, ABS

4xIncline db bench press 6-10 reps
4xSkull Crushers 6-10 reps
4xBiceps Curls 4-8 reps
4xAbwork (decline sit-ups 8-12 reps)

Day 5 Back, Forearms

4xDeadlifts 4-8 reps
3xBent Over Rows 6-10 reps
3xLat Pulldowns 6-10 reps
3xWrist Curls 8-12 reps

I suggested a little higher reps because
* Most people lift with crappy form when they lift heavy
* You are a beginner and you should learn good form before going very low rep
* The exercises I use higher reps in are the ones I myself have found is better to perform with slightly higher reps

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
www.bodybuilding.com

Most of the time personal trainers from gyms have no idea what they are talking about. I was in the gym about a year ago when I overheard a trainer telling her 19 year old client that benching and squatting was overrated and that exercises that work smaller muscle groups are better for you. From that point on, I've never trusted trainers at family gyms.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WC2 said:
www.bodybuilding.com

Most of the time personal trainers from gyms have no idea what they are talking about. I was in the gym about a year ago when I overheard a trainer telling her 19 year old client that benching and squatting was overrated and that exercises that work smaller muscle groups are better for you. From that point on, I've never trusted trainers at family gyms.
I agree with what you say but bodybuilding.com is the last place one should go to get advice. Too many skinny guys arguing how to best hit the inner chest or how to point your toes to isolate the teardrop in the leg. That site will only cause confusion.

DIESEL's bulking guide is one of the best I've seen on the net sofar. www.Intensemuscle.com is another very good place to get quality information by people who know their ****.

Ojete

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, usually books with compiled and well researched information save you time, money and energy while taking you to the point: building that body you crave. I recommend also books like Testosterone Advantage Plan & Scrawny To Brawny, both can be found at amazon or any other popular bookstore. That's the beginning, but most important is to learn how to differentiate bad advice from QUALITY information when it comes to working out & eting healthy, as the last 2 users suggested.

OpIvy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifeforce said:
I really suggest you buy the book "Beyond brawn" by Stuart McRobert. It has very good information in it which you as a natural lifter will benefit from.

The plan is made up like most plans are. They focus too much on the smaller details instead of giving you pure mass.

I would change it around a little and do as following:

DAY 1 LEGS, SHOULDERS

4xMilitary presses 4-8 reps
4xStiff leg deadlifts 6-10 reps
4xSquats 4-8 reps
4xCalf Raises 6-10 reps

DAY 3 CHEST, TRICEPS, BICEPS, ABS

4xIncline db bench press 6-10 reps
4xSkull Crushers 6-10 reps
4xBiceps Curls 4-8 reps
4xAbwork (decline sit-ups 8-12 reps)

Day 5 Back, Forearms

4xDeadlifts 4-8 reps
3xBent Over Rows 6-10 reps
3xLat Pulldowns 6-10 reps
3xWrist Curls 8-12 reps

I suggested a little higher reps because
* Most people lift with crappy form when they lift heavy
* You are a beginner and you should learn good form before going very low rep
* The exercises I use higher reps in are the ones I myself have found is better to perform with slightly higher reps
Thanks, I will follow your fitness plan and use the machines my trainer recommended (for the particular muscle group I work that day) when I'm done with the big lifts.
Lifeforce said:
I agree with what you say but bodybuilding.com is the last place one should go to get advice. Too many skinny guys arguing how to best hit the inner chest or how to point your toes to isolate the teardrop in the leg. That site will only cause confusion.

DIESEL's bulking guide is one of the best I've seen on the net sofar. www.Intensemuscle.com is another very good place to get quality information by people who know their ****.
Thanks, I will check out that site.

I bought a thing of Six Star whey protein from Wal-Mart for $14. It has 34 servings, which will only last me 6 days if I eat alot of protein in my diet. I drink it with whole milk. I weigh 145, so should I shoot for 160g/day? More? Is there a better place to buy protein? It was $10 more at GNC.

For my meals, I eat 3 eggs, some fiber cereal, and a protein shake for breakfast. At about 11:00, I have another protein shake and something small. At about 2:00, I have another shake and a sandwich. For dinner, I eat whatever my mom makes, along with another protein shake. How should I change my diet?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look at ironaddicts.com as well, check out the articles there and make sure to look at the routine section stickies.