Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I only last 20 minutes in the gym(extreme fatigue)? Don't understand!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't get it. In the gym, I do 15 minutes warmup, but I only last 20 minutes of actual working out (weights - free) before I am tired and have to use lower weights. I've lasted a grand total of 25 actual weight work today.

I am a beginner to working out, and I often use the heaviest weights (only manage 9 reps before my arms hurt).

Is it possible to overwork, as a beginner? I see a lot of people talking about doing 45 minutes of weights in the gym, so I thought 20 minutes might be a bit too little.

Since I've just started (been to the gym 3 times, the last 2 weeks), I don't expect results yet, so I'm not sure if what I am doing is effective.

Ricardo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't worry about the time.

Post more detailed info. How many sets are you doing of each exercise?

Some days you may have less energy but that's based more on how you are eating, and how much sleep you get.

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're a beginner, so you probably aren't eating right. Or drinking enough water. Or sleeping enough.

So eat some fruit before the gym. It may be all in your head. Just get some drive in you. Force yourself to do it.

xyzzy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
personally I think your warmup is too long... save your energy for the weights. You only need to get the muscles warm for them to be ready for exercise.

Tone it down to 5-10 mins of warmup, or stop when you start to crack a sweat. Do some stretching of the body parts you are going to work out is a good idea as well (AFTER the warmup. Dont stretch when the muscles are cold)

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I only did a few sets yesterday.

I don't know any of the names, but was advised by other gym members to do those certain types of exercises.

Using free weights, I did the thing where you lie down and push 2 dumbbells up in an arc motion. I did 8 reps for that, 5 times.

Also did something with one leg on the seat and pull a heavier dumbbell up with one arm. I did 9 reps, 4 times.

I finished off with some machines to work my arms and upper back, 8 reps, 2 times.

Today my right arm seems to be in a bit of pain when I move it around. Although not serious, so I expect it to go away in a day or so.

DJinArizona

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe you need more carbs before you go. If I don't eat lots of complex carbs (potatoes, whole-wheat bread, etc) about 2 hours before a heavy workout, I run out of gas too.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Demon:
Post your workout. We need to know exactly what you are doing. DETAILS!
How can he, if he doesn't even have a clue as to what he's doing?

Here's a tip Lies: go to the bookstore and read Arnold Schwarzenegger's Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding - read the section on training and the pictures and descriptions of the exercises.

While some of the training info is wrong and outdated, you wouldn't even be able to pick up on it for awhile, so for your purposes as a beginner it's a great resource.

Until you do that.. you are pretty much wasting your time at the gym.

If you have no clue what you're doing, how do you expect to get results?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah alright, I'll do that.

Thanks for the info.

Also, is there enough pictures in that book to show how each workout is done? As I have no clue to the technical names of each type of weight work.

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lies:
Ah alright, I'll do that.

Thanks for the info.

Also, is there enough pictures in that book to show how each workout is done? As I have no clue to the technical names of each type of weight work.
Yes it has everything.

Demon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL:
How can he, if he doesn't even have a clue as to what he's doing?

Here's a tip Lies: go to the bookstore and read Arnold Schwarzenegger's Modern Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding - read the section on training and the pictures and descriptions of the exercises.

While some of the training info is wrong and outdated, you wouldn't even be able to pick up on it for awhile, so for your purposes as a beginner it's a great resource.

Until you do that.. you are pretty much wasting your time at the gym.

If you have no clue what you're doing, how do you expect to get results?
I didn't ask for his regimented routine because he doesn't have one. I wanted to know what exercises he is doing. Anyway, diplomatic_lies, you should make sure that you are using correct form when doing whatever exercises you're doing.

You say you use the heaviest weights? How heavy is heavy for you? Alter the weight you do in order to be able to do three sets without failure.

For example:

Bench Press
Set 1: 120lbs., 10 reps
Set 2: 140lbs., 8 reps
Set 3: 160lbs., 6 reps

You said you've only been to the gym three times in the last two weeks? Go more often. Since you're a beginner, go every other day so that you can rest your muscles on the days you don't lift.

Don't work out the same muscle group two days in a row until you know what you're doing.

A good, solid workout (means you sweat) should last around 60 minutes. You work fast with excellent form, giving the appropriate rest between sets and reps, and concentrating on the workout. Unless you're on steroids, 20 minutes is too little.

Of course, we'd have to find out a little more from you than what you posted before we could really help you.

What are your goals? How is your diet? etc.

DIESEL can really help you out with the details. I'm just a concept man.

soccerstar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You could be over working out...

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just won the bid for the encyclopedia of body building (from ebay - and yes, i am a cheapskate).

Now I can finally figure out the names to the exercises.

Demon: Basically, my goal is to get a better body. Not total bodybuilding, but "enough", in order to look like I actually have some muscle. Also, I'm trying to extend my chest beyond my stomach by a few cm. So basically, my goal is mainly focus on the arms and chest, as well as toning the abs.

My diet, I'm Asian, so most of what I eat are what my parents cook. They insist on a lot of vegetables, and beef (mostly wok) are the main meat I eat. Usually for breakfast I eat several slices of brown bread with peanut butter and occasionally bacon in between.

One of the biggest problems I have is that I do not know much of the routines. In fact, I don't know ANY of the names of each exercise. My gym is very small, and personal trainers cost too much (being a student and all). Most of what I did was copied from people around me who looked like they had sucess.

As a note, does the Modern Encyclopedia of Body Building have give out routines, with illustrations, to them?

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diplomatic,

Hey, I'm Asian too, and although I'm no expert on weight training, I can give you some advice concerning food and the Asian diet.

I was also raised on an asian (Korean) diet, but luckily, Korean cuisine is quite hearty by East Asian standards, with many meat dishes. So I grew up gorging on marinated beef, pork, chicken, and enjoying it. Yummm.... Unfortuantely, I never paid much attention to exercise as a youth, so when I finally left the mother's for college, I was a chubby 160 pounds at 5'7". Now, after 2.5 years of weight training (out of that, 1 year of serious, well-informed training), I'm a trim 152 pounds at 5'9". I reckon that with a few more years of intense hard training, could bulk up to a peak of 175 pounds or so, but for aesthetic reasons I don't want to achieve that 'steroid ape' look. I intend to maintain my weight at 165 pounds in lean weight, when I reach that goal. On my shorter frame, too much muscle just looks dumb, and can even have adverse health effects in the long run.

Most East Asian diets are based on rice and vegetables, and supplemental helpings of meat. You'll never see a huge slab of flesh slapped on a plate like they do in America! I think they call it a "steak".. j/k, Lol.
This is probably why you don't see too many obese Asians, unlike whites and black who can turn out to be... no offense intended... quite disgustingly fat. On the flipside - and to the credit of western diets - the Asian diet has a low-energy content, which means that people who consume it can't grow very big. That's why Asians aren't as big or muscular as some whites and blacks are. This is just circumstantial though. The proof is there when you compare Asians in Asia to 2nd generation Asian Americans. They are a few inches taller, but most of all, they are much more muscular. And they have the American diet to thank for that. If all Asians ate and ate and weight trained, they could get buff too. It's too bad that our East Asian cultures intrinsically place less emphasis on physical health, as much as they do on spiritual health.

Regardless I guess we Asians in the West are blessed, since we can enjoy some of the worlds best food in terms of health and taste (low cholesterol, anti-oxidants), but also have access to some of the most nutritious food from the West.

I hesitate to post detailed advice about nutrition, as someone like Diesel could do it infinately better than I, but I suggest that you stick to a healthy balance between Eastern and Western cuisine. Lean more toward the American diet if your goal is getting bigger. If you are in Asia, at least try to enjoy a steak or some tuna moer often, instead of eating steamed vegetables with rice.

Good luck.

- Jake

Originally posted by diplomatic_lies:
Just won the bid for the encyclopedia of body building (from ebay - and yes, i am a cheapskate).

Now I can finally figure out the names to the exercises.

Demon: Basically, my goal is to get a better body. Not total bodybuilding, but "enough", in order to look like I actually have some muscle. Also, I'm trying to extend my chest beyond my stomach by a few cm. So basically, my goal is mainly focus on the arms and chest, as well as toning the abs.

My diet, I'm Asian, so most of what I eat are what my parents cook. They insist on a lot of vegetables, and beef (mostly wok) are the main meat I eat. Usually for breakfast I eat several slices of brown bread with peanut butter and occasionally bacon in between.

One of the biggest problems I have is that I do not know much of the routines. In fact, I don't know ANY of the names of each exercise. My gym is very small, and personal trainers cost too much (being a student and all). Most of what I did was copied from people around me who looked like they had sucess.

As a note, does the Modern Encyclopedia of Body Building have give out routines, with illustrations, to them?

OddTech

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Diplo.

I am asian too and I agree with Jake. I understand that you're going to college soon, so your health and body can be affected if you're always munching on junk food while studying. It can also be a blessing if you stick to a good diet and go to the uni's gym regularly, which is free for students!

Make an effort to keep a log of your workout routine and measurements of your body (waist, arms, chest, shoulder, etc.). If you follow Diesel's guide, you'll get improvement soon.