I love tuna

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For everyone who hasnt had tuna in a long time... go out and buy a cna right now!!

i just bought some for lunch at work, this is so delicious!

and its full of protein.

question, how much tuna is too much tuna?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zaraza said:
For everyone who hasnt had tuna in a long time... go out and buy a cna right now!!

and its full of protein.

wish i could say the same..... i wouldn't worry about to much tuna i doubt you'd ever be able to eat too much

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you're planning on eating mountains of the stuff (> 1 can per day), you might look into aiming for the types that are typically lower in mercury.

Flabbergasped?

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, your piss will smell like tuna for a few hours afterwards, and the salt typically means you should drink more water.

So if you're going to binge on tuna, have lots of water to compensate.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys, i will keep drinking water. LOVE IT

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zaraza said:

and its full of protein.

Sheesh, love is a strong word.
I tolerate the stuff only because of the healthy fats and protein but I think I would rather drink the water rung out of a wet sock.

My trick: I put a can in the fridge to make sure the tuna is cold, then I scoop into a tupperware, flood it in hot sauce and spread it over tostada shells.

mintxx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
jesus some people really need help to handle their tuna LOL
for the record i eat it straight from the can

Furyguy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Same.

It's really hard to find any solid information on this, but I did a lot of research a while back and the general consensus seems to be that one can a day is OK, but more than one can a day can cause health problems. This is seven times higher than the FDA's recommended amount, which is one can per week. It has extremely high levels of Mercury contamination.

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate you...me trying to get my tuna down is an 1/2 hour process unless I make a tuna shake which makes me gag real bad everytime.

I've heard of guys eating/drinking three cans a day. There are plenty of other sources for good protein and fats...don't disregard them just for tuna.

Davezz

Don Juan
Reaction score
on my working out days wich is every second day i eat 2 cans... one before one after. just try keep under 4 cans because i heard there is much quicksilver(?) in it. but its great to eat that man very healthy and cute food

Axcell

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't eat more than a can a day. Most tuna has high amounts of mercury which can be harmful to your body, which negates the positive aspects of tuna (high protein, omega 3). I, personally, eat half a can of day... there are many other sources of protein out there - balance is key.

You can get protein from other sources such as chicken and eggs, and you can get Omega 3 from eating flaxseed. The last thing you want is to be eating so much tuna and later getting bored of it (it does happen!) For example: Every one of us has had that "favourite song" which we used to play over and over again... till we got bored of it... and than we never listened to it again. I know it's a totally different analogy, but it's just something to consider.

@ Davezz - Too much quicksilver? lol. It's called mercury. Quicksilver is the name of a clothing/skating company, haha.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ill keep eating 1 can a day only. My thumb has yet to fully heal. I cant do squats cuz holding the bar hurts my hand! this blows.

Yea i ate the tuna straight out the can with a slice of bread. Sometimes i add mayo, but i was too lazy and cheap to buy mayo. lol

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate tuna but I still eat it sometimes. The only way I can get it down is to mix it with load of salsa and put it on crackers.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont know how u cant eat 2 tins of tuna dudes, i personally used to eat 3 tins max post workout, but this could only happen once a week as we only got 4 tins a week, now i barely eat tuna cause the food prices have fvcking soared in england so its like the equivalent of $8 for 4 tins now robbing tw4ts lol

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
playa, tuna is still like 30p a can if you buy the store's own brand tuna. Tesco's is 0.29 a can I think.

not that I've bought tuna in ages, it does virtually nothing for muscle growth and canned tuna doesn't have omega3's (tuna steaks do but not the chunks/flakes most people buy).

eggs will do way more for you and are only a little more expensive.

playa99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WBA would you recommend for someone at my stage of lifting, to start having 6 eggs a day combined with cod liver oil (omega 3) tablets daily?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course, everyone should be eating eggs and taking fish oil regardless of their level of training.

What you eat doesn't change as you become a more advanced trainer, just how much of it.

OzyBoy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bud_2005 said:
I hate tuna but I still eat it sometimes. The only way I can get it down is to mix it with load of salsa and put it on crackers.
Same too. :up:

immrtlwun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
For those, like me, that don't like tuna all that much and struggle to choke it down, they do have canned chicken with a comparable amount of protein. Granted you don't get the omega-3s, but take a supplement for that instead. Next time you're at the store pick up some of the chicken for nice lean protein and a better taste.

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
not that I've bought tuna in ages, it does virtually nothing for muscle growth and canned tuna doesn't have omega3's (tuna steaks do but not the chunks/flakes most people buy).

eggs will do way more for you and are only a little more expensive.
What do you mean it does virtually nothing for muscle growth? It has a fair amount of protein. Does that protein not count?