Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I initially planned to accept a job but I let my ego get hurt and now im not so sure.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I applied for a position at an institution that's basically the same as the one I currently hold at my job now and they offered me the job today.

They low balled me and then when I said I'd need the weekend to consider they called me back and just matched what I was currently making instead of offering me more.

At the initial point in time when I applied I was confident that I would take the position anyway for the same amount of money just because it has some slight perks but I was really sure that I would get offered 50k, which is the top of the range for the position. I currently earn 48k and was offered 45k.

I was a little surprised to have been offered less than what I currently make because my would-be supervisor was telling me she would need to contact my current boss to get some general information like my current salary so HR could offer something competitive.

And now, I think since I was expecting to get offered 50k so confidently (I mean hell it's only 2k more than what I currently make, surely HR departments base their salaries on what someone currently makes?) that it hurt my ego a bit and now im not as sure about taking the job, even though, it has some other incentives.

For example they go to a 4 day work week for around 3 months out of the year, during the summer. And i'd have my own office finally. And my boss would actually be someone who values my opinions and inputs instead of brushing me off because I am young.

And the last benefit I was considering isn't really a guarantee but there's the possibility of actually getting to work more closely with the IT department at the new employer, and helping them or even doing side projects with them, to get me actual experience for a "real" IT job. But that's just what they said when i interviewed, it could turn out to be quite the opposite.

Time is not exactly on either side for the employer or for me. Since they waited until the last minute to do everything I have until 9 AM tomorrow to have a decision because the position needs to be put to the board(it's a community college)so they can approve it and they don't meet but maybe 4 times a year.

I was hoping to use this to my advantage. My would-be boss is someone that I very lightly know from a past conference and because she participates in a listserv that I'm a member of. I was thinking of calling her and telling her that HR is pushing a hard bargain and that, while I would really like to work for her, I really need a slightly higher monetary incentive to justify the switch.

I'm just not really sure what the best way to approach this whole ordeal is because I am inexperienced with salary negotiations as I have only had 2 professional jobs so far(I am 24). I would like to work at the job I have applied for but it is hard to justify the lateral move in my mind because I expected to be more appropriately compensated for my experience since they really need someone(literally the HR person who called me today said that they called with the "counter" because "Well, we need you. ".

The other issue with this is if I ask my would-be boss to "bat for me", and, she is declined, and I decline the position, I end back up in an awkward position with my current supervisor who was in contact with this other employer as aforementioned. The other week my boss told me about how if my job description changed drastically because I took on more responsibilities that she could go ask for more money for me. Well, usually my boss is just blowing smoke out her ass so I place too high of a value on that statement. I mean, it's a nice gesture, but, those aren't the things you plan on in life, you know? You don't make plans around empty promises people make. So I'm afraid that if I don't get the salary I want, and I decline the job, that my boss will be cold towards me.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

KingBeef

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I also work in the IT field (administrator/analyst) and I've also been the recipient of being "lowballed" salary wise. But you do have advanatages on your side.
You're young, you're willing to work and be a team player (willing to grow and do what's best for the collective whole). If you are very likeable (as I am) and friendly, that also works very good in your favor.

The IT field is becoming very cut throat (competition, cuts, outsourcing jobs, etc.) You have to try to become very good/excellent at your craft and continually getting educated (post graduate degree and certs).

HOWEVER, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU. LOYALTY SHOULD ONLY COME WHEN YOU ARE VERY GOOD AND YOU ARE GETTING COMPENSATED WELL FOR WHAT YOU DO. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW.

I don't know the exact reason behind them lowballing you like that (possibly you were too appeasing, too nice, young and desperate, who knows) but the "hands on" experience is GOLD. DOING REAL IT WORK IN THE CORPORATE, EDUCATION AND MEDICAL FIELDS MAKES YOUR RESUME LOOK GREAT.

This is just my opinion but regardless this will help give you some insight....GET THE HANDS ON EXPERIENCE. The difference in money is small and you can always make it on the side. See if they can also pay towards furthering your education and certifications. I would take that in a heartbeat. Do what it takes to become "real good." THEN, 6 MONTHS TO A YEAR/MAYBE 2, WHEN YOU HAVE THE CERTS/EXPERIENCE/TOOLS UNDER YOUR BELT, YOU OPENLY TEST THE MARKET AGAIN AND WHEN SOMETHING "GREAT" COMES ALONG (WORTHY OF YOUR TIME, I.E. ANALYST, LEVEL 3, ADMIN, ETC.), YOU TAKE IT.

WHEN IT COMES TO "IT", YOU HAVE TO START TO THINKING LIKE A MERCENARY.... MAKE THEM WORK FOR YOU...

Again, just my opinion but do what's best for you...

sharkbeat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For example they go to a 4 day work week for around 3 months out of the year, during the summer. And i'd have my own office finally. And my boss would actually be someone who values my opinions and inputs instead of brushing me off because I am young.

And the last benefit I was considering isn't really a guarantee but there's the possibility of actually getting to work more closely with the IT department at the new employer, and helping them or even doing side projects with them, to get me actual experience for a "real" IT job. But that's just what they said when i interviewed, it could turn out to be quite the opposite.
Throw away any expectations you have with your new employer. Things can go opposite ways. Don't let these decide for you.

You will get paid less, that's about 50% of the decision there. If it's basically the same job, with different boss, I would say no. This has put you on the wrong side with your current boss, but it is what it is, you move on and don't give a **** of what your boss is thinking. If your boss doesn't like it, she or he can fire you, and you can look for a new job. Always have the mental preparation for the worst case scenario.

The only reason I would go for the new job only if it aligns to my passion, and it allows me to do things that weren't possible before. You have to be doing different things with this new job, and these different things have to interest you. Otherwise, the money talks, and with only 45k, you are losing some by taking this new job.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stick to your guns on the salary. They will respect you for doing so. If they absolutely cannot fork over another 5k a year, they will say so and then it is your call. But put on the face that you're worth 50k.

This happened to me years ago and it was my first time really negotiating. I named my price and the employer came back 5k less and with ONE WEEK of vacation. I said "I'm really excited about the job, but I believe I'm worth what I asked for, and I need two weeks of vacation [still not enough but hey]." They gave it to me.

Now, there was another time when I was offered less than my ask, but the job was a step up with great benefits that were probably worth 10k overall. It offered stability too. They said they know I'd asked for a little more but it was the most they could offer right now and hoped I'd say yes. I made the call on the spot because I knew I'd be out of work in a couple of weeks anyway (short term job). Those were some mitigating factors, so the money mattered less.

Nevertheless, I recommend asking for and sticking with what you think you're worth. Employers will try to squeeze every penny out of salary (their biggest expense usually) and it's nothing personal. I do believe they will respect your stance. You're calling a bluff and if they absolutely cannot offer more they will usually come out and say it. Just remember, it's business, you're both trying to extract what you can from the other. Only you know deep down if you'll accept without a raise, so know in your head if a) you're ready to turn it down or b) you will take it anyway. Make that decision before you negotiate and you'll never have doubt.

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sigh...decisions. Well the new position does offer 3-6% yearly raises which my current one does not.

I honestly would really like to just go for the possibility of the IT experience. But I also just don't know if it will be something that actually comes to fruition. I would tell myself that the experience is always worth something but I just can't bring myself to believe that I'll be allowed to participate in anything meaningful.

KingBeef

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make your decision tougher than what it is already but YOU DO HAVE OPTIONS.

You can also consider working for an Outsource IT company for starters. They may pay you close or less than what you earn now, BUT THEY GET YOU IN THE DOOR TO WORK ALONG REAL IT SUPPORT HELPDESK/MANAGEMENT. THE EXPERIENCE IS PURE GOLD. It opens your IT social network to people who you think in a million years would never give you a chance because you didn't have the experience.

Education, experience and who you know are a MUST....

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KingBeef can you PM me your email? I'd like to talk a bit more about this with you

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, in carrer wise if what you are saying is truth(by truth I mean they hold they side on the bargain) it would be nice, but here is the deal if was the same salary I would think the change would be a nice thing to do, but by paying less I would reject the offer and tell then I win 48k so I need something to see i'm moving forward not backward.

I ahd that one time I send my resume to several company and places, I started to work in one place, then the next week another company invited me to join then pretty much the same postion I just said ok, so how much you are paying me she offer a lower salary from teh place I started, then said to her I will decline, I started a new job last week and they are paying me more and i'm not willing to change to a place who will pay me less for the same position.

but its up to you, you sure looks like you are not happy with your actual boss, so in carrer wise maybe the less payment could be better, I would try to stick for a little more, you can also ask what will really gonna happen there, i don't have all the infos you possible have.

good luck on your decision

Dryden

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole post. It is just nagging and complaining. There are just two things to consider.

a) You don't need to take the new job.
b) You can tell them so.

Your entire negotiation position depends on that. So if you don't like it, bail out. Why do you stick? There is no point to it if it makes you unhappy. If they accepted you, they want you, and now you get too scared to stand up for yourself.

Just tell them you don't like being treaded as a worthless or in any case not very valuable employee. You feel that they are trying get front seats for a dime. You don't believe such a thing would say much good about the work atmosphere and future understandings between the two of you. If they really want to have you, or anyone like you, they should not put you back a few k in your salary as if this is some kind of demotion.

Tell them that if they consider this is a demotion, they should please just tell you, so that you can then realise that you should get out as fast as you can.

Tell them you can only conclude that ...

And here is the funny thing, in Dutch there is a saying that in English would come out as "cheap ass mother****ers". I think maybe that should say enough :p.

You can only conclude that the job is either not very important or the work you are going to do is not going to be of any importance, and you question them as to why they would still want to hire you or even for the job to be done. ;-).

Anything like that is good. Don't overstretch it, stay polite enough, but become aware of your feeling of both the job and the pay being below what you consider worthy or worthwhile or worth the effort. You are just worth more than that. That is the feeling. Don't express that literally. Don't say "I am worth more than that". Do it tactically. Manouvre around the idiom. Be tactical. Be a little evasive. Tell them you're disappointed.

Stand up while you say these things. Walk to the window. Look out the window for a while (short while) as you continue talking and you have your hands behind your back. Act a bit like you own the office. Be charming. Be diplomatic. Do all of that stuff.

People always say it is good advice to tell someone that you "need to think it through". I consider this bad advice. This leaves a bad impression, because it is not true about you.

They want to hear your answer straight away. You can give them that, in any situation. The answer is simply this: "I'm a bit daunted by the low pay you've just offered me. I cannot just accept the job like this. I will have to reconsider whether changing jobs is really that important to me even if I'm gonna get a cut in my salary. If I change my mind, I'll let you know."

thatfeel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could it be true that they simply have constraints preventing them from offering more?