Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I have some silver candlesticks

CountSuavula

Banned
Reaction score
I have two silver candlesticks, and one of them is broken. I want to keep the silver, have them melted down, purified to a high grade silver, and then made into a mini silver bar.

How do I get this sort of work done?

CountSuavula

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I would consider trading the candlestick set for a silver piece.

I bought the silver candlesticks for an extremely low price, and I am unclear about the quality of the silver content and everything else. It looks antique.

My first attempt was to just super glue the broken candlestick because I like them and used them frequently, but the superglue did not bond correctly.

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I bought the silver candlesticks for an extremely low price, and I am unclear about the quality of the silver content and everything else. It looks antique.

My first attempt was to just super glue the broken candlestick because I like them and used them frequently, but the superglue did not bond correctly.
How much silver is it? Imagine the cost of melting down and pouring is going to eat up any discount you may have received when bought. Maybe hold onto it and look for other deals like that on sliver items then melt down in bulk at a later date. No rush if you are planning on holding it. I do have experience with metals from an investment and purchasing side but just guessing about your specific situation. From an investment perspective, the problem with metals is the high premiums and production costs immediately put you at a pretty significant negative return

CountSuavula

Banned
Reaction score
Why thank you kind sir. I researched more and I found one set of them listed on eBay. They are probably made in the USA by Derby Silver Company. Myguess is that my set is almost 100 years old. However I wonder if they are electroplated. And I am a novice and so I don’t understand the meaning of electroplating.

I am a novice with metals but I can say it is a hobby. I do keep a private collection of precious metal pieces of mostly jewelry and coins.

These are old school companies though. The bottom of both candlesticks say Debry Silver Co. and also International S. Co. and my guess is the S stands for silver,

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just fwiw, you don't want to touch old metal pieces like that with your bare hands, because you never really know what has lead in it.

Slag

Don Juan
Reaction score
The candlesticks you have are most likely silver plated, and not actual silver unfortunately. The Derby and International Silver brands produced silver plated items. Pieces made from real silver are generally marked "925" or "Sterling". Sterling silver is a silver alloy containing at least 92.5% silver. Pure silver is too soft for most uses, that's why it's alloyed with other metals when used for candlesticks, mirror handles, spoons, forks, etc.

CountSuavula

Banned
Reaction score
I threw them away. I’m a minimalist and couldn’t stand having a half broken and halfway fake silver at my place.

But certainly I am in the market for new silver candlesticks. My bedroom always has nice candles for at night.

Murk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Auction it to a collector and buy silver ingot with the money.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Use JB Weld. It's a two part epoxy. Will bond about anything.