I can't get up in the morning!

Production6257

Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a huuge problem that I have had for a long time. I have tried everything to try to get myself to wake up. I write messages to myself and tape them to the alarm clock, set reminders, try all different alarms, etc. but once morning time comes, I can't bring myself to get out of bed. This is KILLING my workout routine because I miss breakfast 90% of the time and have to rush for everything, which just throws my whole days plan down the drain. The crappy thing is that I prefer to work out in the morning and get it out of the way, but it just doesn't happen. No matter how motivated I am the night before, once morningtime hits my mindset completely changes and I just can't do it. I constantly get up at the last possible minute, even for class and I'm always late. It really just sucks and I want to change it.

Anyone else have this problem? How do you guys get up in the morning?

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What time do you wake up and what time do you go to sleep? Maybe you need to go to sleep earlier.
If you're gonna work out in the morning you have to give yourself
a large pad of time. I leave the house @ 7:30 but I wake up about 5:30 when I work out.

ConantheLibertarian

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Put your alarm where you'll have to get up to to turn it off. Another solution is to just be ultra consistent with what time you wake up and go to sleep. I did that (for awhile at least) and I didn't even need my alarm anymore.

Production6257

Don Juan
Reaction score
insidious- I do go to bed at very inconsistent times. I usually go to bed late (between 1 and 3am), but I always make sure that I set my alarm for at least 8 hours from the time that I go to bed. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep, but I'm not sure if it's a medical condition or just from the fact that I woke up so late.

Conan- haha I tried the alarm thing. It actually was pretty successful for a while, but then I would half consciously get up, run across the room to turn it off, and then jump right back in bed. Maybe I will try that for a while.

I think part of what trained me to be like this is back in high school I used to set my alarm for like 3 hours before I had to get up, and then hit the snooze button for the next 3 hours. I used to love doing it because those 10 minutes of snooze-sleep are the best, most comfortable minutes of sleep I get all night. I did this for a couple years and only got worse (When it was at it's worst I would go to bed around 11, but set my alarm for 3AM and snooze for 4 and a half hours). I REALLY regret it now. I haven't waken up at the first alarm in years. As a matter of fact, I just rolled out of bed and began typing this and it's almost 1 in the afternoon!

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Have sleep apnea? If you're sleeping 8 hours and are still tired it's a possibility. Considered chemical assistance? Ephederine and Caffeine get me woke up real well.

stinkyape

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be like that. I've been HEAPS better recently. I put it down to a couple of things - 1) I've set myself a time to get up during the week, and tentatively during the weekend. 7.30am. If I sleep in an hour or two at the weekend, thats fine - but usually I find myself waking up not much later than 7.30 anyway. 2) Affirmations - Write down 15 times each day how you're going to achieve your goals. Google affirmations if you want more details. It's given my motivation a real kick in the butt and now I feel like I can achieve anything I want to. 3) No caffiene (OK, I sometimes have a coke during the day - particularly at the weekends, but it's diet lemonade and water for me from now on), no alcohol (didn't used to drink that anyway), and no drugs (didn't ever do many of those either).

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm the same at the moment, but I don't usually get up until like between 4-6pm in the evening! Its bad I know I sometimes sleep for 12 hours + and i'm still tired, though if I actually force myself to get up I fell wide awake within 10 minutes. I can lay in bed for hours on end just lightly sleeping

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
advice from someone who suffers the same problem, knows what to do, and rarely follows through on his own advice: cut out caffeine & heavy meals within 6 hours of bedtime, go to sleep at the same time every night and always get up at the same time, set multiple alarms (I set both an alarm clock & 2 alarms on my cellphone when I need to get up before 8am), get plenty of exercise & stay hydrated (I don't sleep well when being lazy and/or dehydrated).

if stress is an issue keeping you awake at night, try meditation, or some sort of prayer regimen (if that's your persuasion).