hypergamy is not a caste system

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I started that post I knew it was going to come off as some unavoidably deterministic rant about the evils of hypergamy.

That post was born out of all the effort I've repeatedly read men relate when they say how unbelievable their breakups were. As if all of the investment, emotional, physical, financial, familial, etc. would be rationally appreciated as a buffer against hypergamy. The reason for their shock and disbelief is that their mental state originates in the assumption that women are perfectly rational agents and should take all of their efforts, all of their personal strengths, all of the involvement in their women's lives into account before trading up to a better prospective male.

For men, this is a logically sound idea. All of that investment adds up to their concept of relationship equity. So it's particularly jarring for men to consider that all of that equity becomes effectively worthless to a woman presented with a better prospect as per the dictates of her hypergamy.

That isn't to say that women don't take that equity into account when determining whether to trade up or in their choice of men if they're single, but their operative point of origin is ALWAYS hypergamy. Women obviously can control their hypergamic impulses in favor of fidelity, but always know that it isn't relationship equity she's rationally considering in that moment of decision.

This dynamic is exactly the reason the surrogate boyfriend, the perfect nice guy orbiter who's invested so much into identifying with his target, gets so enraged when his dream girl opts for the hot ass-hole jerk. She's not making a logical decision based upon his invested relational equity. Quite the opposite; she's empirically proving for him that his equity is worthless by rewarding the hot jerk, who had essentially no equity, with her sex and intimacy. He doesn't understand that hypergamy doesn't care about relational equity.

This is a really tough pill for guys to swallow, because knowing how hypergamy works necessarily devalues their concept of relational equity with the woman they're committed to. Men's concept of relational equity stems from a mindset that accepts negotiated desire (not genuine desire) as a valid means of relationship security. This is precisely why most couples counseling fails – its operative origin begins from the idea that desire (hypergamy) can be negotiated indefinitely.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
. As if all of the investment, emotional, physical, financial, familial, etc. would be rationally appreciated as a buffer against hypergamy. The reason for their shock and disbelief is that their mental state originates in the assumption that women are perfectly rational agents and should take all of their efforts, all of their personal strengths, all of the involvement in their women's lives into account before trading up to a better prospective male.

For men, this is a logically sound idea. All of that investment adds up to their concept of relationship equity. So it's particularly jarring for men to consider that all of that equity becomes effectively worthless to a woman presented with a better prospect as per the dictates of her hypergamy.

Indeed

But in WHAT OTHER BUSINESS VENTURE IS THIS ALLOWED?

marriage is a contract between two parties, officiated by the state (99% on behalf of the woman).

BUT WHY ARE WOMEN NOT HELD TO THE CONTRACT....i sign a lease, a better real estate deal comes along, I'm not just allowed to jump out of my previous lease without penalty..THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL.

so then understanding that women feel no sense of equity when a better offer comes along WHY IS AN ANTIQUE MARRIAGE CONTRACT STILL ALLOWED.

seems like fraud on a huge scale, a woman can follow the dictates of her hypergamy and the state backs her up with no fault divorce taking the mans assets adding insult and penury to injury...DOES THIS NOT SEEM PRETTY FVCKING INSANE TO ALL OF YOU?!

i mean what does it matter negotiated or real desire...a CONTRACT IS A FVCKING CONTRACT....i could care less if a woman loves me for real or not..just like if you rent my house and i don't care IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT AFTER THE FACT YOU SIGNED THE LEASE...so if you marry me...just suck my d1ck, swallow...then fry me a steak and on my end i'll keep you in furs and a compact mercedes..everyones happy :)

Findog

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Burroughs said:
Indeed

But in WHAT OTHER BUSINESS VENTURE IS THIS ALLOWED?

marriage is a contract between two parties, officiated by the state (99% on behalf of the woman).

BUT WHY ARE WOMEN NOT HELD TO THE CONTRACT....i sign a lease, a better real estate deal comes along, I'm not just allowed to jump out of my previous lease without penalty..THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL.

so then understanding that women feel no sense of equity when a better offer comes along WHY IS AN ANTIQUE MARRIAGE CONTRACT STILL ALLOWED.

seems like fraud on a huge scale, a woman can follow the dictates of her hypergamy and the state backs her up with no fault divorce taking the mans assets adding insult and penury to injury...DOES THIS NOT SEEM PRETTY FVCKING INSANE TO ALL OF YOU?!
I *think* what Rollo is saying is that depending on the woman, some put greater weight in relationship equity and take that into account than others. Some women are going to be cold about it and will "upgrade" no questions asked. Grass is Greener Syndrome and all that. Other women will be more loyal. My mom is definitely the latter, and truth to be told, my dad hasn't really given her much reason to be loyal. But they all have this innate capacity for hypergamy at their core and it emotionally drives their relationship choices. The difference is the degree to which individual women let this dictate their choices.

As for marriage, you have to know at this point that it's a risk. You can insist your wife sign a prenup or just cohabit long-term instead of formally getting a marriage license.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Findog said:
I *think* what Rollo is saying is that depending on the woman, some put greater weight in relationship equity and take that into account than others. Some women are going to be cold about it and will "upgrade" no questions asked. Grass is Greener Syndrome and all that. Other women will be more loyal. My mom is definitely the latter, and truth to be told, my dad hasn't really given her much reason to be loyal. But they all have this innate capacity for hypergamy at their core and it emotionally drives their relationship choices. The difference is the degree to which individual women let this dictate their choices.

As for marriage, you have to know at this point that it's a risk. You can insist your wife sign a prenup or just cohabit long-term instead of formally getting a marriage license.

right but this level of ambiguity and risk is simply unacceptable

if marriage were a SOCIAL CONTRACT with no financial ramifications a perfectly legit corollary to feminism (you want equal biatches then no alimony) then there would be no issue

but marriage as a LEGAL CONTRACT has teeth only on the man's side...which is a profound fraud

hypergamy COMBINED with onerous courts and no fault divorce are an absurd combination that no man should have to navigate...no wonder zuckerberg stays with an ugly biatch he can trust.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A successful, healthy marriage is not proof that women value relational equity. I understand that sounds, pretty ƒucked up, but I personally know a pastor who's wife of 18 years divorced him and broke up a family of 4 children.

Granted the guy is as beta as they come, but18 years of equity. Families, friends, finances, devotion, fidelity, consistent love & appreciation,..all of that equity thrown away in the name of hypergamy. Hypergamy doesn't care.

Findog

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
A successful, healthy marriage is not proof that women value relational equity. I understand that sounds, pretty ƒucked up, but I personally know a pastor who's wife of 18 years divorced him and broke up a family of 4 children.

Granted the guy is as beta as they come, but18 years of equity. Families, friends, finances, devotion, fidelity, consistent love & appreciation,..all of that equity thrown away in the name of hypergamy. Hypergamy doesn't care.
Isn't it more accurate to think of hypergamy as a spectrum, and in this case, this pastor's wife was at the extreme end of the spectrum? My mom will never leave my dad, not at this point. And his faults are numerous. I don't think he's really been that good of a husband to her.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree that women will try to get the highest value male they can.
Why wouldn't they?
Couldn't you call practically anything hypergamy, though?

If a girl dumps one dude for a richer one, that's hypergamy.
If a girl dumps a guy for a better looking one, that's hypergamy.
If a girl dumps a guy for someone with a lower net worth, then the poorer guy must be "more alpha" - more fun, exciting or what not.
You could bend this to fit any situation.

The real point seems to be that women are fickle.

Burroughs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i could care less if she stopped loving me its when she touches my money i get mad :)

marriage doesn't guarantee she'll love me forever or ever did

but marriage shouldn't GIVE HER A LICENSE TO STEAL SANCTIONED BY THE COURTS

AW1983

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Burroughs said:
but marriage shouldn't GIVE HER A LICENSE TO STEAL SANCTIONED BY THE COURTS
Agreed, but guess what? It give males the same license, right? What with all these statistics showing careerist broads making more and more money, I see a prime opportunity for some of us Skittles Men to start bending the rules of the Matrix... :yes:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlphaWhiskey said:
Agreed, but guess what? It give males the same license, right? What with all these statistics showing careerist broads making more and more money, I see a prime opportunity for some of us Skittles Men to start bending the rules of the Matrix... :yes:
that's the thing and why i don't get all these posts on this issue. the reality is that most men ont his forum, at least 80% of them will never have this problem becuase the women will be able to and have supported themselves. keep your own bank account and if she has a job that is anywhere near the pay yours is the only real issue you have is the house and custody of kids. if you make 60k and your wife makes 45k no they aren't coming after your savings i promise you. bible belt can verify this but that is a slope that most won't even go down because if she can take half my **** i can in turn take have hers. worst case scenario i am a good saver of money and i have have accumulated say, 50k in the last 6 years and we were married for 3, i might have to write a check of half of what i saved in those 3 years we were married.. so something like a 15k check. not the biggest deal on earth.

this type f stuff only real comes in to play when one of the parties has a loopsided amount of money / income

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
Spoken like a man who has never faced the family court system.
if i can be 100% honest if we were to get a divorce, and i hope it does not happen but if it did, there would be no need for family court he can stay with her. she's not a drug addict or anything and is honestly a better parent at this stage than i am. he might look up to me and stuff but she has the mommy thing on lock lol.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lexington said:
Imagine a society in which a substantial proportion of men have no access to sex. Do you think that could lead to some social, civic and economic problems?
I think it breeds a population of desperate men that are so horny that they can be swayed by a religious demagogue who claims that they can some fine poontang in the afterlife for being a religious martyr in this life.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Findog said:
Isn't it more accurate to think of hypergamy as a spectrum, and in this case, this pastor's wife was at the extreme end of the spectrum? My mom will never leave my dad, not at this point. And his faults are numerous. I don't think he's really been that good of a husband to her.
It's more of a generational thing. For folks of that generation, folks only got divorced if there were serious problems. Faults that are not serious - i.e., Dr. Laura's 4 A's: adultery, abandonment, abuse, addiction - are not enough for folks of that generation to divorce. Nowadays, women get divorced because they're "bored" or "just not feeling it" - but only as long as their sexual market value has not tanked because they got fat - i.e., fat women tend to stay married.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MatureDJ said:
"La donna e mobile", Verdi.
Nothing new under the sun.

MatureDJ said:
Nowadays, women get divorced because they're "bored" or "just not feeling it"
"I expect more out of life", "I'm not fulfilled", blah, blah.

MatureDJ said:
but only as long as their sexual market value has not tanked because they got fat - i.e., fat women tend to stay married.
Interesting theory. Makes sense, but that doesn't make it true.
I'd like to see some statistics on that.

Then again, I'm guessing that when women plan a branch swing, they get themselves in shape. I read somewhere that one of the signs of infidelity is a sudden, unusual interest in diet and exercise.