Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

how would you get 7000 calories a day backpacking?

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont know if ive writin about it on here or not but in a year and a half or so im going on a backpacking thing with a friend for a year. i thought i pretty much had my food taken care of but after ive read about food more they say somebody backpacking all day needs about 7000 calories a day. actually 700 comes from when they talk about skiing or hiking in cold weather but the numbers are up there for backpacking.
my question: how the hell am i gonna get that many calories a day witout carrying 20 pounds of food? oh yeah and spending twenty bucks at every meal

B.A.

Don Juan
Reaction score
Applicants training to complete their physical component of British SAS training regularly have to consume 6-7'000Kcal of food a day when doing 100Km hikes up the Scottish hills/ mountains, and doing other outdoor work in exposed, sometimes subzero conditions for days on end.

They've desribed how they actually eat a stew comprising of meat, biscuits, ice cream, beans and chocolate to eat that many calories.

Personally, I seriously doubt you will require that many Kcals, though eating solid blocks of butter and chocolate are what the explorers do when trekking over the poles.

When I used to go hiking in the Scottish mountains I carried up lots of chocolate and dehydrated packets of stews, noodles and pastas and a butane burner. Ask around, and see what other guys will be carrying up.

- B.A.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What you may have to do is ship your food to yourself at prearranged locations. People who hike the whole Applilachian trail will do that. Not only food but supplies as well... It would be impossible to take a whole year's worth of food with you no matter what you ate...

If your gonna be gone for a year, I'd get use to eating what ever you decide on before you leave. That would suck if your body couldn't tolerate something and you didn't find out until you after you left...

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i know im doing the supply points and everything but still its 3 days or more between resupplying and 21000 could be alot of weight

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This may be a little off topic, but I read this article about this one guy who does these extreme races. He road his bike from Canada to Mexico in something like 4 weeks.

I tdescribed his training where he ran obscene amounts of distance every day as well as riding his bike.

He actually had a water bottle of vegitable oil that he would chug for energy when he was doing his races. He also ate a lot of simple cabs like twinkys and candy.

I think the article was in Men's Journal...

Ever eaten trail mix? It does digest slow, but give the the boost you need right away.

Also, try any of those Goo's?

hardwork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Two Words, Lt Dan...

... "Freeze" and "dried."

It occurred to me today while I was walking to school that freeze-dried ice cream is not only damn palatable, but a brick of it weighs almost nothing.

You're not going to lose much (if anything) in the way of nutrient content by eating freeze-dried stuff, but it is a touch on the expensive side.

But, damn! Ya can't beat freeze-dried strawberries! ... Not even with a stick!

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Powerbars, Clifbars, etc help alot. Like Von Neuen said, having some freeze dried food is a must. There are appliances that you can buy that actually dry food out. Works great for trail mix (fruit) and jerky. Basically any kind of food without a lot of water. Instant oatmeal and hot chocolate are your friends.

Stay away from canned foods even though they preserve well because they're too damn heavy. If you're hiking by water you can fish, but don't depend on that.

And actually, 20 lb of food isn't all that much.

I hope you're doing some warm up hikes, because a year long backpacking trip is going to be hell if it's your first time. And no offence, but it doesn't sound like you're too experienced. I can't imagine myself backpacking for a year and I've probably done over 1000 miles of trail hiking in my life.

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we are gonna be hiking alot in the next two years. and about the experience thing. your right and your rwrong. im not an expert backpacker i guess, but im not clueless. im an ourtdoors guy, im going to do this because its something i want to do. and im not the kind of person thats just gonna go into it not knowing anything abou what im donig.
allso on the expereience note, the guy i know who did the at a few years ago ahad about the same experience then as i do now and hes gonna be my mentor i guess youcould call him for the next two years

Viroid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would say lots of good oils. Olive, flax, etc..