Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to look fly (tips for clothes shopping)

dyce

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a few suggestions for you DJ's when shopping for clothes.
I'm not gonna tell you how to dress (hell no, do what looks good on you) but heres a few tips when buying clothes:

- Bring a girl along:
Girls know what other girls will think looks good on you, your guy-friends might disagree, but you're not out to impress guys! When I did this for the first time, alot of girls started complimenting me on how I dressed, but I didn't even pick out the clothes, my cousin did.

- Try on the clothes:
I dunno about ya'll, but when I used to go shopping for clothes, I got embarassed to try on clothes, or I didn't wanna ruin my hair when putting on a t-shirt or something like that, so I ended up buying stuff that didn't look good on me or didn't fit well (but I didn't find out 'til I get home). Don't be embarassed, it's your money, and you're spending it so make sure you get your money's worth.

- Don't go on a spending spree:
Well.. if you're rich and have the money to, then go ahead. But what I like to do is browse the stores, get to know the scene, and if I see something I like, then I'll come back a few days later and buy it if i still like it (because we all change our minds and regret things) that way you're sure that you want it.

Edit: Also don't buy things on impulse, the signs and stuff are all out there to trick you into buying crap that you probably won't even like later on! Workers are gonna try to persuade you into buying crap (sometimes it may actually be a good deal, but just be careful and don't fall for bad deals). In most stores I see, the only things on sale are the clothes that nobody wants, so don't just buy something because it says 40% off or whatever, because you probably won't wear it at all.

- Build your wardrobe:
This kinda connects with the tip above, so once again it applies if you're like me and not rich. I have a part-time job so I get paid about $300 a week. Nice clothes cost alot and instead of whippin' out $1000 and spending it all at once, like I said, get to know the scene and what's available. Then buy 3 or 4 items or less each week and slowly build up your wardrobe over time. Soon you'll have nothing but nice clothes and you'll surely get compliments for dressing nice.

- Wear clothes that go with anything:
If you have a planned shopping day, wear something generic like blue jeans and a white t-shirt, so that when you try on clothes, you will get a pretty fair idea if it looks good on you. Who knows, that brown shirt might have looked good on you, if you weren't wearing those green cargo pants, get me?

Play on, playaz

Last edited:

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All very good advice, especially about taking a woman with you!

I think confidence also plays a big role in clothes shopping. Some guys are literally scared to wear anything too smart, too sexy, too modern, too feminine or they're scared of standing out from the crowd, and end up sticking with the same dull image or just copy what their friends are wearing. Your image is what conveys your first impression to people and it's important to remember that.

Anyway, good post and nice to see some fashion tips!

dyce

Don Juan
Reaction score
^true that man, a year ago i used to diss everybody that wore pink, call them a f*g and all. but now i wear pink and girls dig it alot. guys can be more flexible in this modern age

jiza101

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dyce
^true that man, a year ago i used to diss everybody that wore pink, call them a f*g and all. but now i wear pink and girls dig it alot. guys can be more flexible in this modern age
:crackup: :cheer:

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought you were going to offer advice on which clothes to get, lol.
I don't want to hijack your thread but from my observations and experience, here is what is "in" right now with the ladies:

blue jeans with the faded look (make sure they're boot cut so they fit well over the shoe, and also the frayed look at the bottom is in too.) You only need a few different pairs. Jeans go well with practically anything.

polo shirts. I highly recommend Ebay for these. There is no point in paying Abercrombie or RL $65+ for a dam-n shirt when you can have them for $20 off Ebay. Find out what sizes fit best in stores, and then find them online. The brand doesn't really matter, just as long as it fits you well and looks good... I usually wear a white t-shirt underneath... shows up near the collar and looks good that way. As for color, stripes look great, but I think solid colors like white, blue, navy, and red look VERY pimp. Perfect with blue jeans.

white shoes. Those athletic nikes and adidas shoes just don't look good. You need the more casual, classic shoes. I always wear Reebok Classics. White shoes fit perfectly with blue jeans. Dress shoes look good but unless you're wearing a suit or something, I see no reason for them. I also don't like all these sandal-wearing fag-gots I see all the time. Well, I don't mind sandals themselves, but there is nothing worse than a bunch of people copying each others' stupid sense of fashion.

Now, I wear what I look good in, and I wrote the above to show you what girls these days like men to wear, not what I think everyone should wear. You can be as classy or casual as you want, just depends on your style and what age group of women you're after. Most people look best with the combo above, and most ladies like it, but if not, find what you look best in and wear it. Don't just pay for a name either when you're shopping.

btw, I still haven't accepted wearing pink. Some women might like it, but pink isn't the only color they like or anything, there are plenty of other colors without having to risk looking like a try-hard, whether you are or you aren't. Also, don't pop your collar, it's just plain try-hard.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

white shoes. Those athletic nikes and adidas shoes just don't look good. You need the more casual, classic shoes. I always wear Reebok Classics. White shoes fit perfectly with blue jeans. Dress shoes look good but unless you're wearing a suit or something, I see no reason for them. I also don't like all these sandal-wearing fag-gots I see all the time. Well, I don't mind sandals themselves,but there is nothing worse than a bunch of people copying each others' stupid sense of fashion.

[/B]

a bit hypocritial there mate????

over here reebok classics are what all the pikeys wear.

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Not Quite There
a bit hypocritial there mate????

over here reebok classics are what all the pikeys wear.
I knew someone was gonna say that. That's why I followed it with:
"Now, I wear what I look good in, and I wrote the above to show you what girls these days like men to wear, not what I think everyone should wear."

Reebok Classics are just as good as any shoe here.... although they don't seem to be as popular as they once were, which works out well for me I guess... I don't know what you mean by pikeys, but over here, in college at least, people are going crazy over those fu-cking sandals. I hate them. I refuse to wear something just because everyone else is. I have to like it myself. You know how socks have gotten shorter and shorter over the years and now it looks like people don't even have socks on? Well, I am still wearing ankle-socks (stop right above ankle) just because I refuse to change what I am wearing just so I look like 1,000,000,000 other people. In 10 years, who knows, the dam-n knee-high socks might be in style again, you never know... I used to hate Abercrombie because it had become a status symbol... so I wore RL. Now in college everyone wears RL like they are something special and I switched back to Abercrombie, it is funny shi-t.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
sound mate, was being a bit selective with my reading...

I get what your saying, its hard nowadays to be original.

Often, I know whats 'in fashion', but don't want to be the next idiot to be wearing whatever happens to be the latest trend. Even though it would be a lot easier...

dyce

Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^and thats why i didnt wanna post anything telling you what to wear, people get in debates over stuff like that

everyone should just do their own style, whatever works for them, baggy jeans and a beanie will work if you can pull it off

btw, wats AE?

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^and thats why i didnt wanna post anything telling you what to wear, people get in debates over stuff like that

everyone should just do their own style, whatever works for them, baggy jeans and a beanie will work if you can pull it off

btw, wats AE?
Point taken. I believe he was referring to American Eagle.

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wear my slip on shoes, so I dont have to keep re-tying my shoes laces every time I try on a pair of pants or shoes

also wear a pull over shirt instead of a button shirt, makes it a little faster when changing clothes

if your looking for a certain style of clothing dont waste time looking in other departments, just look for the style you want
because you can cover more ground and make a better decision if you focus on one item at a time, like: shoes one day, shirts another day, coats another day, etc.

because if you try to pick out too many items in one day, you will waste hours in the store trying to decide what to get.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Exactly, its not WHAT you wear, but HOW you wear it.

Some people will never grasp this, like my 1 mate, he doesnt really have a clue, no matter how much you try and tell him.

Don't let clothes wear you, you have to wear them!

ApocalypseCow2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Don't go on a spending spree:
Well.. if you're rich and have the money to, then go ahead. But what I like to do is browse the stores, get to know the scene, and if I see something I like, then I'll come back a few days later and buy it if i still like it (because we all change our minds and regret things) that way you're sure that you want it.
This one is important. For me, it's really a bad idea to buy a whole bunch of clothes at once, because I'm buying clothes without a goal of wearing them. I make much better decisions when I go out and say, "OK, I want a new shirt that I can wear Saturday night that goes with the pants I'm wearing right now."

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The major dept. stores near me will have a big clearance sale in the fall and one in the spring. I usually buy summer clothes in the fall and winter clothes in the spring, because the prices are 50-80% less. Retail stores can afford to have sales like this because their normal mark-ups are so high.

familyguyfan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by pimpfromdayone
I knew someone was gonna say that. That's why I followed it with:
"Now, I wear what I look good in, and I wrote the above to show you what girls these days like men to wear, not what I think everyone should wear."

Reebok Classics are just as good as any shoe here.... although they don't seem to be as popular as they once were, which works out well for me I guess... I don't know what you mean by pikeys, but over here, in college at least, people are going crazy over those fu-cking sandals. I hate them. I refuse to wear something just because everyone else is. I have to like it myself. You know how socks have gotten shorter and shorter over the years and now it looks like people don't even have socks on? Well, I am still wearing ankle-socks (stop right above ankle) just because I refuse to change what I am wearing just so I look like 1,000,000,000 other people. In 10 years, who knows, the dam-n knee-high socks might be in style again, you never know... I used to hate Abercrombie because it had become a status symbol... so I wore RL. Now in college everyone wears RL like they are something special and I switched back to Abercrombie, it is funny shi-t.
Well, I definitely agree that you should get clothes that you like, and not just because they're popular. However, I also think that it's dumb to not wear clothes that you like just because other people happen to wear them too. For example, I have a pair of those Reef sandals and I wear them all the time. I don't wear them because they're popular, I wear them because they're very comfortable and I like them. I'm not gonna not wear them just because other people like them too. That's stupid.

pimpfromdayone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I'm just funny like that I guess. It pis-ses me off to see people behaving like sheep. I still can't stand those sandals... until I hit college, I never saw one person wearing them, so you know dam-n well most people only wear them because everyone else is.

nosexbox

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a thought on the "cost" issue.

You get what you pay for. If you buy cheap stuff, expect it to fall apart faster and go out of fashion faster.

Spend a little more on something, you'll notice that you can keep wearing it longer. I have stuff in my closet that I bought, hmm, six or seven years ago?

This goes TWOFOLD for shoes. A great pair of shoes, at least when you're an adult, should last you many years.

Of course, I fall victim to the price issue every once in a while, and I almost always get burned.