Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How much would I max out at?

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How much weight could I bench press for one rep approximately, considering I do 7 reps with 112,5 kgs at the moment (converted: 247,5 lbs)?

(its not really that important for me and i guess i might even wait till im at my goal (benching about 130-140kgs for 7 reps) before ill try to see how much i can max out at...)

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you'd maximize the results of your workouts if you'd max out to failure every work out..

you should be able to do 280

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you'd maximize the results of your workouts if you'd max out to failure every work out..
Interesting statement, never heared somebody say that before though...reason/proof?

Ive often read that you can do 6-8 reps with 75-80% of your one rep maximum weight...which would mean I could max out at over 300...r u just guessing that id max out at 280 or have u been there too and remember how many reps /maximum weight u would do?

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mercenary

No, he wouldn't. Maxing out every workout would be detrimental.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by madgame

Ive often read that you can do 6-8 reps with 75-80% of your one rep maximum weight...which would mean I could max out at over 300...r u just guessing that id max out at 280 or have u been there too and remember how many reps /maximum weight u would do?
Yes, It's only a guess, one can't really know unless one would try it. If you knew that there was a definate answer for your question, then why ask at all?

Originally posted by Metaphor

Maxing out every workout would be detrimental.
Much of the literature i've read indicates that you should be working to failure. This is supported by many advocates of HIIT including this
one

Your muscles can not get larger unless you get stronger...

I'd like to hear why this would not be the case.

for the sake of time i'll add an excerpt.. but you really should read the whole article

"Muscles adapt and grow when they are forced (with proper form) to overcome a resistance they have not experienced before. In weight training, that's called the "principle of overload". In every workout, for every exercise, pick at least one of your sets to make your "personal best". Go beyond what you have ever done; either by raising the weight or adding 1-2 extra reps to one of your sets. Then gradually add weight to the other sets in that exercise until you can raise the resistance on the entire sequence. As fitness writer Dave Tuttle notes, "weightlifting is not an endurance sport. It is a peak-intensity sport based on the overload principle. Your muscles grow from the one set when you lift more than you ever did before, and not from the ten sets you did at a weight you have lifted for years.""

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Working to failure induces hypertrophy and growth, but definitely not strength gain. It is actually detrimental to strength gain, so you don't want to go to failure every set. On your max, it is determined by your muscular composition and your fast-twitch to slow-twitch ratio.

BTW madgame, how old are you and how much do you wiegh.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I thought so too..that the one rep max is determined by the ratio of fast to slow-twitch-fibers, but I thought this ratio might be pretty similar for most people as working out in the 4-8 rep range is what ppl are usually recommended to do and this is what works best for me too. So I thought this ratio is pretty average in my case...

I'm 20 and weigh around 205 lbs at the moment. Why you asking?

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mercenary

You're stupid. TRULY maxing out to FAILURE every workout would cause major overtraining.

I say truly because most people say they are going to failure, but they really aren't.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
You're stupid. TRULY maxing out to FAILURE every workout would cause major overtraining.
You've given no warrant for anything you have dribbled. I citied two studies that support what i've said. You didn't even bother to read...

Overtraining?

How pray tell?

You're working a muscle group once a week to failure during one rep.

If you really think the information i'm giving is incorrect and you truly care about what people are taking in as truth, You'd do better to stop using ad hom's and start attacking the logic and reason i'm using. Because at this point all you've shown us is that you are immature.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry Mercenary but the other guys are right. Aiming for failure every workout is not the way to increase strength. I personally believe that to train to failure ALL the time is not the best way for hypertrophy either. Common protocols such as 5 x 5, 5 x 3, 3 x 3 etc are very effective for increasing strength in a particular lift.

Competitive powerlifters might max out once per month, many will only max out on the day of the meet and I think these guys know a thing or two about gaining strength. It is just too demanding and detrimental to sustained strength gains.

You can cite all the studies you want - remember, in the early 80s "stuides" showed that AAS were ineffective. You can pretty much spin a study to show whatever results you like and there are too many variables involved IMHO.

HIT (not HIIT as you referred to it) is far from the most effective way to gain strength OR mass but some people are still stuck in 1981 it seems.

The link you posted looks comprehensive and I will read the whole thing when I get the time. There seems to be some interesting stuff on diet there.

Madgame: I would expect you to be able to max out at 125-130kg or 275-286lbs.

Try a 3 x 3 regime on your bench for a while. I got a friend onto this and he added close to 50lbs to his deadlift in about 3 months.

After sufficient warm-up choose a weight - 105 to start with for you in my view, and perform 3 sets of 3. Next workout go up - 107.5 or 110 depending on how easy the 105 was. Do not be tempted to go over 3 reps, the aim is to increase by 2.5 every or every other workout.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Templeton

Competitive powerlifters might max out once per month, many will only max out on the day of the meet and I think these guys know a thing or two about gaining strength. It is just too demanding and detrimental to sustained strength gains.
I don't purport to know the habits of powerlifters as I am not one. But you at least concede that they DO in fact max out. The only difference is the frequency with which they do so. This makes sense as the load they lift is much greater than what a novice or intermidiate lifter would attempt.
It's a fact that novice lifters, when they begin training, have a much quicker recovery period than more experienced lifters. This is because there is more potential for growth in their muscles and means they can afford to "max out" more often.

You can cite all the studies you want - remember, in the early 80s "stuides" showed that AAS were ineffective. You can pretty much spin a study to show whatever results you like and there are too many variables involved IMHO.

If studies and scientific data are useless then what criterion do we use to justify claims?I have no idea what AAS is but clearly it was a "study" that disproved whatever incorrect information was being circulated about it in the first place. Are we to use ancedotal information exclusively? If that's the case that I can certainly testify that doing a failure rep has certainly been more effective than not doing one.

HIT (not HIIT as you referred to it) is far from the most effective way to gain strength OR mass but some people are still stuck in 1981 it seems.
Critiques of HIT, such as the one here by Dr. Hatfield seem to be directed at particular people and their business practices rather than what Dr. Hussman (above) and I advocate. I have not suggested, for example, that lifters do one and only one rep of a lift. As the critique indicates there are different flavors of HIT.

The bottom line is that the only argument against doing lift to failure that has any weight (pun not intended) is that there is risk of overtraining. I think this issue is addressed by allowing for an ample recovery period before working that group again. The time for recovery gets longer as you become stronger and are able to lift more.

I'd still be open to hear other opinions. But it still makes sense to me that your muscles must be fatigued in order for you to get stronger and in turn get bigger.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All the time Ive been working out Ive worked out to "failure" (there was a discussion going on on this boards some time ago what exactly working out to failure was...When I say failure I mean doing 4-8 reps without being able to do another whole rep) and Ive been able to increase my strength/muscle size a lot. I cant tell whether maxing out every work out would be a rather good thing or a rather bad thing to do, but i guess it wouldnt influence somebody's gains by THAT MUCH (in a negative or positive way..and well thats just a guess). However if somebody wants to try it out they should instead of talking about theory and what they've read/heared/"think" is true...thats just my 2 cents on the subject.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I said that powerlifters MIGHT max out (1RM) in the lead up to a meet, many won't at all during training and will only do so in competition. Those that do so during training would only be doing it about one in every four workouts or less, for a given lift.

I must concede Mercenary, that I inferred from your first post that you were referring to a 1RM as this is what I take the term "max out" to be. Perhaps you were referring to any given number of reps taken to failure. My argument was based against the idea of performing a 1RM every workout.

Like it or not, it is true that most (although not all) effective training information has been attained anecdotally over the years.

AAS - Androgenic Anabolic Steroids.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, It's only a guess, one can't really know unless one would try it. If you knew that there was a definate answer for your question, then why ask at all?
Okay, I was just thinking that you might remember a time when u lifted about the same weight with the same reps as I do at the moment and also remembered how much you did max out at approximately...However I guess Im gonna have to find out myself..I guess Ill max out right before I start my cutting phase in may and tell yall folks how much I benched ;-)

I must concede Mercenary, that I inferred from your first post that you were referring to a 1RM as this is what I take the term "max out" to be. Perhaps you were referring to any given number of reps taken to failure. My argument was based against the idea of performing a 1RM every workout.
Thats how I understood it too..?