How many scoops of whey a day?

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
i have been doings weight now on and off for about 6 months now, with no massive increases! I have been supplementing myself with about 3 scoops of whey a day as well as my normal dinners etc.

However, I was just talking to my older brother and he was saying that he has been taking 8 scoops a day along with normal dinner etc, and that is the secret to getting big he said. BTW, he is massive....so it seems to be effective, but how safe is this?

apsired

Reaction score
Dude, what you need to do is count your calories. counting scoops of whey plus dinner is a ineffective way of going about things.... rather then counting scoops count the amount of protien and calories your getting.

My meal replacement shake consists of 30g of whey protien, 50g of grounded oats, and a table spoon of olive oil, with 300ml of milk, it works out at around 500 calories, and i only have one once a day, i really started go gain muscle and see improvments when i started counting calories. i cant recommend it enough.

i eat 2600 calories a day divided into 6 meals.. I'm gaining about 2lbs a week, when i stop gaining ill had another 200 calories.O and dont ever train. one body part once a week, 4 sets max. Your brother may have been gifted with good genes.. or just eating enough food.. dont eat enough = no gains. Overtrain = no gains just pain the next day.

IrishDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
hoff i think u shud shut the hell up, and go on the rip instead! :D jk

count calories, and do it properly next semester! wel start in the new year 100% dedication for 5months k?

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
Irish DJ, who do you think you are coming on here and acting this the devil! who do you think you are? the peoples champion or something?

IrishDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
lets just say...the people know who their champion is....me :) and yes girls r horny. are u an actor the hoff ? do u stil live in ireland or moved to L.A.?

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
i was an actor in l.a. but came back over to ireland there....people are alot nicer! don't u think? btw Irish DJ, i hear a rumor u were feard of the rip! any truth in the matter?

SAFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
spiff said:
dont take in more than 30g of protien an hour, the rest is wasted, your body can only take in so much at a time.
Oh dear... I can see you getting some stick for that, matey!

Personally, I disagree. I have no scientific data or studies to back it up, just personal results. I upped my protein intake about two months back, and I've noticed the most noticable gains of my lifiting life since. I've lowered carb intake slightly, and increased the amount of fat (mostly healthy) in my daily diet. Protein intake is about 300g a day, and I dont take in 30g each hour for ten hours!

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spiff said:
dont take in more than 30g of protien an hour, the rest is wasted, your body can only take in so much at a time.
yeah this is a load of bs, learn some stuff before you waste your first post with something like this.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get at least 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Get as much of this protein from solid food as you can. Reach your daily protein requirement with protein powder if needed.

The secret to getting big is eating alot. The secret to getting big muscles is eating a lot of protein and enough calories, on top of a good weightlifting routine. Like aspired said, figure out how much protein and how many calories you're getting from your current diet ( http://www.fitday.com/ ). Increase your protein and calorie intake. Eat that way until you stop growing, then add more protein or more calories. Rinse and repeat.

You should go and read the stickies and what's in the vault. Also post up your diet and workout routine and people will show you what to do to gain.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congratulations! You can quote an article targeted at endurance athletes about nutrition during endurance events, written by a guy who, though obviously good at endurance cycling, has no need to put on muscle mass and therefore has little idea of the nutrtional requirements for gaining muscle. Give yourself a pat on the back.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You're really building up a compelling argument. First source: irrelevant. Second source: bb.com .

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, I don't know everything, far from it. But I know from experience that large amounts of protein aren't dangerous to a healthy person. I've regularly taken in 100g of protein from a meal. I am alive and perfectly healthy. Many of the people on this board eat more than 30g of protein in a sitting. Most if not all of the people over at ironaddicts.com or intensemuscle.com eat way more than 30g of protein at once, and these places harbour a lot of big, strong guys. They wouldn't and I definitely wouldn't say that eating >30g of protein in a meal is a waste: 380g of protein per day spread out across 4-5 meals has given me consistent gains in strength and muscle mass, and my blood tests all come back as normal.

Don't trust what you read on bb.com

If you want sources, have a read of http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10484

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
Get at least 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Get as much of this protein from solid food as you can. Reach your daily protein requirement with protein powder if needed.

The secret to getting big is eating alot. The secret to getting big muscles is eating a lot of protein and enough calories, on top of a good weightlifting routine. Like aspired said, figure out how much protein and how many calories you're getting from your current diet ( http://www.fitday.com/ ). Increase your protein and calorie intake. Eat that way until you stop growing, then add more protein or more calories. Rinse and repeat.

You should go and read the stickies and what's in the vault. Also post up your diet and workout routine and people will show you what to do to gain.
Spot on advice :up:

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spiff, you're embarrassing yourself. you need to be taking reliable advice rather than dishing out the kind of bull you've spread through this thread.

thrice insulting a respected member of the forum who only posts when he has something interesting/relevant to say is not a good way to start out here...

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spiff said:
Besides you have yet to make a couter argument or put up any sources of yours to discredit what I said.
Because there is no point. This is the equivalent of you walking in here and saying that China is in europe. We know it's not and there is zip point to arguing with your ignorance because we already know it's blatantly ridiculous. Who cares about changing your mind? You have access to google.

The assertion doesn't even make sense. What did early man do? Went a few days with barely eating then gourged himself on meat when finally a kill was made. Why would the body be so limited as to waste that gourging of protein?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
apsired said:
i eat 2600 calories a day divided into 6 meals.. I'm gaining about 2lbs a week, when i stop gaining ill had another 200 calories.

Holy crap what do you weigh that you gain 2 lbs a week on 2600? How's that fat coming for you, by the way?