How many people here let.....

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
So how many people on this forum (and me) let looks stop them reaching DJ status?.

I for one suffer from mild acne (at 21 :( )

So i was wondering if anyone else has this concern with the way they look and if it stops em getting the most outta life?.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MILD ACNE????? come on your letting that stop you? get proactive, get clearasil, go to the doctor get benzoyl peroxide.....i think i have very attracive genes (so the ladies have told me) but when i was a kid i happened to be grossly skinny and made me very shy......for the few years i've been eating alot and gyming it up VERY hard i think but sometimes i still tend to look in the mirror and analyse my skinny frame (I was 5'10 115lbs before gym and now am 160lbs of muscle) and see a weak little frail boy which makes me insecure even though i know people now don't see me that way......and ps, the bigger you get the more you have to earn every extra pound of mass.

alboh

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

BigWillyStyle

Banned
Reaction score
ryanvalmont, I remember you starting a thread some months ago about how you think chicks don't approach you coz you think your good looks intimidate them, what happened, stud? Go and see a dermatologist if it bothers you so much, ****en panzy.

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigWillyStyle
ryanvalmont, I remember you starting a thread some months ago about how you think chicks don't approach you coz you think your good looks intimidate them, what happened, stud? Go and see a dermatologist if it bothers you so much, ****en panzy.
Yeah back then i don't think i had as bad acne,or my ego was too high to let it bother me.

So how many other guys have simillar problems to mine...or am i special?.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any problems that you have preventing you from getting women are all in your head. You're taking your failure and convincing yourself that it has to do with something you don't like about yourself. Has anyone ever told you that you need clear skin to land a woman? Better yet, have they given you any proof that this is true?

It's been stated time and time again on this site that personality stands out more than looks when it comes to women. If you prove this to yourself, you'll forget about your acne problem.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go to a dermatologist if it really bothers you. They will give you some good **** that makes it go away. It fixed mine.

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah i know it's probally not a big thing,but when you see other guys who look better than you (clear skin,not skinny like me)

it makes you think,i can have the best game in the world...but if i don't look as good as the competition i don't have a chance right?.

thefonz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ryan, acne is curable, skinny is changeable....you have to believe me on this...

If you feel skinny go to the gym, work out everyday....do it so much that when you miss 2 days at the gym you feel like your falling apart, eat all the time, it is one of the greatest life changes i've ever made, incorporate it.....when i first started going i felt soooo out of place, "what am i doing here, why am i even among these muscle clowns." andnow i am a muscle clown, so what? whats wrong with that? WHY NOT ME? The more i started going the more i started talking to the muscle clowns and realized they weren't just egomaniac wrestler types with "meathead thought processes" but men who had developed a way of thinking that was to conquer set goals for the day and challenge themselves by pushing it to the limit, not just looking good naked. And they really could care less about anything else going on in the gym there's no aweful top 40 music, no hot girls toning beside them, no stains on the ceiling.....there is only themselves, the weight, and the goal.

Now i go to the free-weights, i push myself, i grunt, i ask for spots andi go there with the mindset of lifting as much as i possibly can....I see the 35-50 year old lanky douchebags doing workouts with their aweful form and 80's windpants staring and judging me but who gives a rats ass about them. they don't try, they stand around and critique .....there judgement of me is like a gift offered that i don't accept. Let them swim in the kiddy pool of mediocrity, i have mountains to climb.......i'm not there yet, but the fact of the matter is that one day i WILL be

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much of the weight problem i have,as i'm gaining a few lbs here and there now.

It's the acne problem that put's me right down,i've tryed everything..the only reason i think i have it as i'm one of those guy's who aren't as developed at 21 as they should be.

that sounds funny,but what i mean is i have kinda like a kiddy cute face rather than an older persons face,i'm rather skinny and really don't look 21.

Maybe i'm getting acne as my body doesn't think i'm 21 or something,stupid i know...but that's how i feel.

I have the confidence and the clothes and ego...just the acne is really destroying everything bit by bit atm :(

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please tell us what specifically is stopping you from following a proper facial-cleansing procedure each day. While you're at it, what is holding you back from scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist to discuss what sorts of medications you might be able to use with great success to reduce or eliminate your acne problem altogether? There are numerous topical gels/creams/lotions that are availiable with or without a prescription (though I'd recommend sticking with what your dermatologist advises you try) which will help you fight your battle with your skin. Now, it seems to me like everyone in this thread is telling you the same thing, but that it's falling on deaf ears. If the sole problem is that you aren't happy with the way your skin is, then you've recieved tons of advice on what to do and how to do it - it won't happen overnight, but you can start the changes by acting today. No more excuses about why you can't... just get out there and do it!

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
Please tell us what specifically is stopping you from following a proper facial-cleansing procedure each day. While you're at it, what is holding you back from scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist to discuss what sorts of medications you might be able to use with great success to reduce or eliminate your acne problem altogether? There are numerous topical gels/creams/lotions that are availiable with or without a prescription (though I'd recommend sticking with what your dermatologist advises you try) which will help you fight your battle with your skin. Now, it seems to me like everyone in this thread is telling you the same thing, but that it's falling on deaf ears. If the sole problem is that you aren't happy with the way your skin is, then you've recieved tons of advice on what to do and how to do it - it won't happen overnight, but you can start the changes by acting today. No more excuses about why you can't... just get out there and do it!
I don't think it's worth a derm's time if it's like 3-4 spots all the time,also they just give you all these medication that in my opinion don't really work.

if they do it's never permenant?.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ryanvalmont
I don't think it's worth a derm's time if it's like 3-4 spots all the time,also they just give you all these medication that in my opinion don't really work.

if they do it's never permenant?.
Apparently it's worth enough of your time so that you come on here complaining about how "having acne is killing my self-esteem, I have no chance with any girls because of my horrid acne" (so on and so forth...)

It's not like the dermatologist is doing it out of the goodness of his heart. He provides a service which you pay for. If getting rid of acne is important enough to you, you'll do whatever it takes to eliminate it! By the way, the medications do work. If they didn't, then people would stop visiting dermatologists because they don't actually help anything! Would you go to the gym if it didn't produce results? Regarding "if they do its never permanent"... Well, sorry that life isn't easy. Sorry that you might actually be required to wash your face and put a cream on it every morning, or every night. Since this apparently is too much trouble for you to go through, why are you even griping about your skin? Oh, and Accutane (also known as Isotretinoin) is permanent for most people it works on (which is to say an overwhelming majority...)

I promise you that nobody here feels sorry for you - we don't have to live with a pimple or four on our faces (and those of us who do apparently aren't bothered by it enough to make a thread devoted to it...) So, if you want to just read people's opinions saying what you should do, then make up excuses why you can't do them, then that's your problem. Literally.

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasn't making exscuses or trying to get attention,the point of this thread was to ask how many other people share the same feelings and what do they do about it?.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems that there are several people who have given you advice, only to have a reply saying things to the effect of: "i go there but it makes me feel insecure and wrecks my confidence", or "if i have acne i have no chance with the ladies", or "i've tryed [sic] everything"... I mean, to me it's obvious that you wanted advice on how to get rid of acne... because from your posts, it sounds like you're really downing yourself over it. I've told you what I'd do, desdinova's said what he would do, and thefonz has told you what you should do... Other than one of us coming to your house to apply the medication, I don't know what else it is you expect out of the people on the board?

However, I digress. Let me get down to answering what it is you say this thread is about:

the point of this thread was to ask how many other people share the same feelings and what do they do about it?.
I used to share the same feelings. My face was so bad that I was called "pepperoni face" back in late middle school/early high school. I felt terrible about it. It shattered my confidence every time I looked in the mirror. I can't count the hours I spent feeling sorry for myself, wishing and wishing I had clear skin. Then, I went to a dermatologist. He gave me every cream and gel under the sun - some had better effects than others, but none actually eliminated my acne (when I say it was bad, it was bad. So, he put me on a new drug called "Accutane". For a few weeks, my skin dried, my lips chapped, and I had infrequent nosebleeds. However, within a month or two, my acne was fading away, and my skin was completely clear about 2 months after that. All of the time sitting in front of my mirror (or a computer screen) didn't make my acne go away or my confidence grow. The only thing that helped was doing something about it.

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
Diablo your advice is great and i DO appreciate it and am not ignoring it either.

it's just i've heard alot of bad things that accutane does to your body.

Stuff like liver damage or something and can give you depression among a few things?.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As with any drug, Accutane has the possibility of side effects. Because of this, you have to do bloodwork (they draw a tube of blood from your arm) each month to determine if it's adversly affecting you. Some people have reported symptoms of depression while taking it. This doesn't mean that you will, or that you won't - without trying it, there's no way of telling. One of my younger brothers took it but became depressed, and spent a few weeks just sleeping and being lethargic until we realized what was going on - he stopped taking it, and the problem was fixed. I highly doubt that your dermatologist is going to recommend you take Accutane if your skin only has 3-4 pimples on it... it's meant more as a "last resort". Think of it in terms of warfare - Oxy pads and over-the-counter creams are hand guns, prescription medication is artillery, and Accutane is nuclear. Odds are good he'll give you a topical cream you rub in before you go to bed. If it doesn't work (and sometimes it takes a few tries to find out what works with your body...) then you'll try another, until you've got your problem licked and your confidence in how your skin looks is restored.

ryanvalmont

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well i don't like the sound of having to take tubes of blood to determine it's effects on my body...so that's a NO straight off.

Also i think acne products that you buy in the shops don't work...they just want ya money in my opinion.

guess i'll just have to use make-up or something :(

affliction

Don Juan
Reaction score
I suffered from acne for almost all of my teenage years & even into my twenties. I am 22 now & finally have it under control. I've been under every treatment you can imagine. After exhausting every initial suggestion (topical & oral subscription meds) from my dermatologist, I was put on Accutane. My first session of Accutane (6 months w/ increased dosages over this time) only cleared me up while I was on the drug. 6 months after the treatment, my face was terrible & I had to do another 6 month session of Accutane treatment. Again, the second session only cleared my skin while I was on the drug.

Eventually my hormones settled & I'm now able to keep the acne under control by washing 2x/day w/ Cetaphil face wash, using Zoderm cream in the morning, Retin-A Micro cream at night (both of which are prescription topical creams) , and taking two doxycycline pills every day.

My face has some pretty bad scars left over, but I don't let it affect my confidence anymore. I go tanning 2x/week to keep the scars more hidden. When I save up enough money, I'm going to have laser resurfacing performed on my face and neck. It runs for around $3-5K.

Even with my scars, though, I've been doing approaches & focusing on all my positives. I know it's really hard, but you can't let acne control you!