Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How many calories a day should I eat?

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
240 lbs, 31.5 BF%, 5'10", 26..

I work out every other day with weights, dumb bells, not a lot of weights, just at home. I run every morning, 1/4 mile and then walk. The whole cardio comes out to 20 minutes, 4.5 of which is running a distance of about 1/4 mile or what ever that is, think good 3-4 mph jog for 4.5 minutes.

How many calories should I eat a day?

Since I suck at cooking Im eating Lean Cuisine, 250 calories per meal, lean, and well balanced.

On days that I dont work out:

2 Lean Cuisines
1 can of tuna for dinner
Some gum and maybe a pear in between.

Comes out to about 600 calories.

On days that I do work out:

2 lean cuisines
1 protein shake (120 calories)
1 can of tuna, maybe some fruits

Comes out to about 600 calories too.

I stuck to this plan for two weeks, just going awol for a few days, but even with that I went from 246 to 240 lbs. For a few days now Ive been eating more than just one pear in the middle, and even some home made stake, lean, but more than one piece. So my weight sticks to 140 flat, and BF went from 31 to 31.5%.

I want to start loosing weight here. I realize that with my looks I will be able to land some slut when Im around 210. I have long way to go before my bf is in the teens. Tell me how much calories should I consume? I know about cardio and weights, I'm working on that.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:
240 lbs, 31.5 BF%

Comes out to about 600 calories.

I stuck to this plan for two weeks, just going awol for a few days, but even with that I went from 146 to 140 lbs.

I want to start loosing weight here. I realize that with my looks I will be able to land some slut when Im around 210.
210? 240? 146? :confused:

Are you like a human sponge or something?

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
I dont know what you talking about! I just told you that I lost 6 lbs in two weeks, that is 14 days with running 20 minutes almost every morning, and then weights every other day. Of these 4 days I was doing nothing because I needed some knee support before I could do anything. And now Im stuck at 240 lbs, and aint going anywhere!

Anyway, moving on: This is my nutrition for today.

cal fat carb prot
250 5 38 13 Lean Cuisine meal 8 am
5 0 2 0 Extra Gum
240 6 30 16 Lean Cuisine meal 12 pm
5 0 2 0 Extra Gum
70 1 0 16 Can of tuna 4 pm

Plus I drink 8 cups of green tea and 2 cups of sugar free coffee.

Total is 570 calories, 11 grams of fat, 45 grams of protein, and 89 grams of carbs. I might eat a pear later, 90 calories. So Im close to 600 calories. I think I know what went wrong with my weight stuck at 240 these past 5 days, I was eating more than a few pears and other fruit, plus went to fridge for a few other things in between. I think I might have eate 1000 calories a day or something close to that. I hope its close, not over, lol....

Anyway, my question still stands. Given my work out plan how much calories should I consume a day?

I also plan to add some XLA SPORT and see what that will do. Im taking weight every morning after running, and as of today counting my calories, AND going online to check how much a freaking bearry or orange has calories in it.

Speaking of binges. Is it ok to smoke? Now that this a55hole mentioned binges I want to smoke.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:
Speaking of binges. Is it ok to smoke? Now that this a55hole mentioned binges I want to smoke.
Of course it is.

Just add it to the list.

Let's see:

You're fat.

You're obviously not very smart since 600 calories is ribiculaously low.

You're lazy since you can easily find this info in a few minutes through Google, but instead you want us here to feed it to you predigested and in 'plan form'.

There should be a few more points intead of this one... but meh.

But hey! Adding smoking would be a great! Tar filled lungs and even shorter breath... huraah!

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cut the guy a break. Info here is much more realable than random internet info.

I'm a bulker so I can't help the op.

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
bump

I found a website that calculated 3700+ calorie a day diet for me so that I keep my present weight. Subtract 750 from that to loose 1 or 2 lbs a week. That just sounds rediculous to me. I need some expert help here. If I eat more than 2000 calories a day Ill gain weight. Help.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:
bump

I found a website that calculated 3700+ calorie a day diet for me so that I keep my present weight. Subtract 750 from that to loose 1 or 2 lbs a week. That just sounds rediculous to me. I need some expert help here. If I eat more than 2000 calories a day Ill gain weight. Help.
No you fool. Stop it. Just stop posting this crap. And instead READ.

Firstly, muscle burns energy. The more muscle you have, the more energy you need to eat.

Compare two people: One is 100lbs. 1%Bf. Another is 200lbs, 10% BF. Same size, bone mass, organs.. whatever. The only difference is muscle and fat.

The dude weighing 100lbs is going to need to eat alot less. Why? Because he has less muscle. Lets say he has 30lbs of bones and stuff. That means he has 70lbs of pure muscle that needs energy daily.

The 200lb dude has 200lbs - 30lbs everything else - 20lbs fat (200*10% is 20).

So the bigger dude has 150lbs of pure muscle that he noods to feed. So he needs to eat almost twice as much as the smaller guy everyday.

Get it? This is exactly the kind of calculation the online calculator does. You put in height, bodyfat, and weigh, and it estimates what you need to eat. Its pretty accurate. I would guess that the value of 3700 may be a little high. Its probably around 3500 or so for a sedentary person (sedentary means you sit on your ass all day).

Do you understand?

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Info here is much more realable than random internet info.
True.

But I know forums and websites and books that contain far better and more accurate and complete information. You just have to know what to look for.

djSlvt

Banned
Reaction score
I dont know what to look for! Thing is, today I ate 650 calories, give or take 50, and I dont feel hungry, Im alright. If I eat 4 times what I ate, man that be a lot, I might as well walk to burger king twice a day and order four layer sandwitch and milk shake.

I dont get it. How much am I suppose to eat? In terms of Lean Cuisine, etc, meals frozen and ready to eat after you microwave them.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:
I dont know what to look for! Thing is, today I ate 650 calories, give or take 50, and I dont feel hungry, Im alright. If I eat 4 times what I ate, man that be a lot, I might as well walk to burger king twice a day and order four layer sandwitch and milk shake.

I dont get it. How much am I suppose to eat? In terms of Lean Cuisine, etc, meals frozen and ready to eat after you microwave them.
*long fvcknig sigh*

Hore you go: http://www.johnberardi.com/

He's a professional nutritionist, coach, bodybuilder, has a PhD and he knos what he is talking about. He's the Demi-God of the nutritional world.

Read and you shall be enlightened.

Seriously thegh, his articles are really good an they are based on science and common sense. Mostly science though. Read the articles ,they will answer all your questions and even those you didn't know you had.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Google is your friend

Eat 2000-2500 kcals/day, spread out over 6-8 meals a day, every 2 to 3 hours. Eliminate simple carbs from your diet, except post-workout, nothing white (enriched flour, potatoes, sugar, pasta, etc...).

Google the Glycemic Index and Insulin Index, stick to complex carbs. If you're gonna eat fruit, eat the fruit, stay away from juice (no fiber, juice concentrates the sugar content). Stop eating any carbs 6 hours or so before bed. Eat your fats and an absolute minimum of 1g of protein per lbs bodyweight. Research and educate yourself on various macronutrient balances (Google and forums like this one).

Don't waste your money on exotic supplements; multivitamin, fish oil and green tea is all you need now.

Walk at a brisk pace for 45 minutes to an hour before your first meal of the day, at an incline is good. Don't jog, it's a pretty catabolic activity. Every ounce of muscle you can retain will burn calories just by existing.

For the love of god, eat more than 600 kcals a day, eating that little will have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve. For the love of god, eat more than 600 kcals a day, eating that little will have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve. For the love of god, eat more than 600 kcals a day, eating that little will have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve.

Get a solid lifting plan, stick to it. Lift hard.

Research and become familiar with terms like these: lipolysis, lipogenesis, fat acid oxidation, protein synthesis, insulin response, anabolism, catabolism, pre and post-workout nutrition, etc...

Read, read, and read some more. Educate yourself on how your body works, what fat is, how you store it, how you metabolize it, how muscle is built, how muscle is lost.

All of the above information is here and all over the internets, it's not mine, do your research and you'll be rewarded.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Vintovka said:
Eat 2000-2500 kcals/day, spread out over 6-8 meals a day, every 2 to 3 hours. Eliminate simple carbs from your diet, except post-workout, nothing white (enriched flour, potatoes, sugar, pasta, etc...).

How much you eat has to be proportional to individual bodies and activity levels. Just because your skinny ass can do well on 2000Cal doesn't mean mine can, or the OPs.

Google the Glycemic Index and Insulin Index, stick to complex carbs. If you're gonna eat fruit, eat the fruit, stay away from juice (no fiber, juice concentrates the sugar content). Stop eating any carbs 6 hours or so before bed. Eat your fats and an absolute minimum of 1g of protein per lbs bodyweight. Research and educate yourself on various macronutrient balances (Google and forums like this one).
Good advice. I would stop eating carbs somewhere around 4 hours bofore bed... but the OP is very fat, so 6 hours sounds good.

Don't waste your money on exotic supplements; multivitamin, fish oil and green tea is all you need now.
Add in some whey protein in there. Good stuff. And as for the multivitamin 2 a day veggie caps are good. Centrum and the other cheap ones are very, very low quality. Spend around $10-$14 on some good quality vitamins. Should be 90 in the bottle.

Walk at a brisk pace for 45 minutes to an hour before your first meal of the day, at an incline is good. Don't jog, it's a pretty catabolic activity. Every ounce of muscle you can retain will burn calories just by existing.
Yup.

For the love of god, eat more than 600 kcals a day, eating that little will have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve. For the love of god, eat more than 600 kcals a day, eating that little will have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve. For the love of god, eat more than 600 kcals a day, eating that little will have the opposite effect you're trying to achieve.
LOL. That's true. When you mess around with the energy intake and get it that low, the body goes into starvation mode.

Read, read, and read some more. Educate yourself on how your body works, what fat is, how you store it, how you metabolize it, how muscle is built, how muscle is lost.

All of the above information is here and all over the internets, it's not mine, do your research and you'll be rewarded.
I reccomend t-nation.com , ironaddicts.com , johnberardi.com

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

CMD, You're wrong on calories burned by muscle and fat. Resting muscle adds little TO NO calorie burning factor to the overall equation, I don't care if you're 5lbs or 50lbs of muscle more. ACTIVE muscle burns more. HOWEVER, fat person, say 250, and a muscle-bound person at 200, who burns more? The 250 pound fat guy, because he carries more weight. 60-80% of the body's calorie needs come from internal organs, survival, cellular regeneration. The other 20% or so is comprised of what you do. Obviously if you're very active, you can swing that equation to 40% is burned via activity/muscle/fat, but on a daily non active basis, stagnant muscle doesn't require the mythical 50 calories per pound per day that most people tell you to eat.

Now...even if someone could give you 1 specific number, it doesn't happen. Not unless you live life in a vaccuum. Energy needs fluctuate hourly based on activity, what you've eaten, stress, health, age, body composition, etc. Even if a calculator could say "eat this number", it's not definitive, and you'll stress yourself out trying to hit that mark so perfectly you'll give up. Instead...let's build from ground up, and realize What body we have now, is the result of what we think and who we are. Fat people are fat, because they have fat beliefs and they are "fat-minded". Meaning...they don't believe they can be skinny, or that it's pain to achieve it. They don't have athletic or healthy habits. Rather, when they get time to cheat, they really cheat, although they do not deserve to cheat b/c they are not the one's who are putting any work into their bodies.

That said, build a foundation.

-Focus on carrying water around. Not only does it fill you up, and the body is 70% water, but it also works by neutralizing the acidity of our daily lives, adding a Homestatic factor that enables the body to LIVE CLEANLY despite our polluted environment and foods.
-No juices, unless they're natural. Forget ANYTHING with excito-toxins like Aspartame or MSG's. I don't care if studies prove nobody has died from them...chemicals are not meant for the body, even if it can handle it. Chemicals require the body to divert resources FROM muscle building and fat burning to cleansing. Also, forget High Fructose Corn Syrup, or any syrups. Juices are ok, maybe once a day, but in reality, they lose the best part of the juice, which is the fiber and fruits, and often the full vitamins and enzymes.
-Eat fruits. A diet only built on pure whole grains, healthy fats and protein is boring, and unhealthy. Good, fresh fruit has a CLEAN and LIVELY feeling. Eat them. Eat them as your cheat snack. Eat them with breakfast.
-Eat vegetables. Some provide vitamins and enzymes, as well as preventative health benefits from heart disease and cancer. Also, they keep your intestines and colon cleaner (not 100% clean), but scraping and dragging the track on the way out.
-Get fiber. You should be regular. If you're eating 6 meals, and barely dropping trow once a day, something is up. All that consumption, and nothing to show for it? Fiber comes in to fill you up, and clean you out. Get it from PURE whole grains.
-Be Ready to pay more to be healthier. The reason food is cheap is because it's MADE CHEAPLY. If you want to eat whole grain bread, it may cost double, but it's better than consuming it period. If you had the choice, buy something else. Don't buy poisons that compound over time.
-Try a detox/cleansing program. There's many on it and the health benefits go back centuries. Get a book, follow a program for a day or a week.
-Consume 4-6 meals per day. Some may do more. But a constant flow of nutrients is preferable to 1 gigantic meal. Or even 3 gigantic meals. 3 gigantic meals trigger hormonal responses that tell us to shut down because we're feeding. Hence why you get tired during Thanksgiving. That dates back to early cave man times when they'd hunt and hunt, and then eat tons of food at once. Most of that was stored then, and the caveman would rest because the hunt was over. We're not hunting now, so the body can be fed more regularly and consistently. We don't need big meals all at once, unless you want to be sleep throughout your day.
-Realize ACTIVITY is the best measure to lose fat and alter composition. Weight training to preserve muscle, cardio to enhance recovery, stamina, and cardiovascular benefits. Even if you're super skinny...do cardio, just eat MORE to compensate. You can be healthy in the heart AND eat more, too. It's better to eat 500 calories more if running is your thing, and have good stamina and be able to climb a flight of stairs or 10 without getting winded, than NOT having those 500 calories. Plus, you gimp your ability to recover by localizing the lactic acid and other waste products from lifting. Moderate day after activity stretches the muscles and gets the waste products flowing when they otherwise may stagnate.

IMO, muscle without any ability to survive, thrive, live, and actually be functional is a WASTE of time. Tons of guys at my gym do roids, it's evident, because most of them do piddly weights, such as squat machines, instead of the real thing, or bicep curls all day. Or some do squats wrong, where they stop too far above the knee joint and put much pressure on the knee joint itself. When you stop above the knee joint intentionally, your knee joint is acting as the lifting lever. However, read starting strength, and the hips are meant to go up and down, and actually "bounce" at the bottom of the lift. There's no intentional positioning of the body in a squat, just a movement that follows a specific structure.

Moving on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judge calorie intake by what the scale says. If you're losing BF%, then keep doing what you're doing. If you're losing weight but no BF%, then switch something. Increase protein. There's no way to lose BF without losing muscle. Muscle gained is in a 1:3 Ratio, meaning 1lb of muscle for 3lbs of fat. And consquently, 3lbs of fat lost for 1lb of muscle lost. But that's a small price to pay for looking better and is negligible IF you are active.

Look around the internet to get an average number that's ok. Going extreme with activity and calorie cutting will shut down weightloss. Period. Try aiming for 250 calories cut from your total calorie maintenance, and 250 calories of activity, for 500 per day, and 1lb per week. At that rate it should be around 1lb of fat, and even some water weight as you'll have less carbs stored, therefore less water stored. You won't be starving, and you won't be a hamster on a wheel. It won't even feel like a program, but you'll be 500 calories under. Do more if you're seeing no progress. Cut back if it's muscle being loss. Try to judge yourself over 2weeks, since 1 week is too finite to measure anything accurately. One week measurements can be taken just to see how you change and later...but I wouldn't guage a program that way.

I would do 3 days of lifting, 3 days of activity, be it cardio, sports, basketball, yoga, whatever. Make sure you stretch EVERYDAY.

Get the fitness mentality, and all else will come inline.

Look online for a calorie counter, but you don't necessarily want to eat for what you are, but what you WANT TO BE.

A-Unit

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CMD...add something productive to these exchanges or move on. Is djSlvt completely misguided? yes. Is he being honest with himself about much of anything? probably not. Is he looking honestly for help.....? oh wait, I think he is. make way for folks who are going to offer helpful advice rather than insults. this bs wouldn't last with IA for a second, why bring it here?

djSlvt -- Mr. V and A-unit both know what they're talking about. Vintovka in particular has lived out his own advice, check out his journal here to see the it in action. Take their advice, or at least read and absorb it, or you will never break the cycle...

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dj pm me if you want some direct help

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A-Unit said:
You're wrong on calories burned by muscle and fat. Resting muscle adds little TO NO calorie burning factor to the overall equation, I don't care if you're 5lbs or 50lbs of muscle more. ACTIVE muscle burns more.
This is your dogma, and I have mine.
When put in practice, both are equally as effective.

dj ben2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
djSlvt said:

going to burgerking is prolly the reason ur fat ....

as WBA would say put the same guy on a diet of 3000CAL eating icecream white bread lollies he will gain weight but fat...
put a guy on a 3000cal diet of meat complex carbs high protein he will gain weight but mostly muscle

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dj ben2 said:
going to burgerking is prolly the reason ur fat ....

as WBA would say put the same guy on a diet of 3000CAL eating icecream white bread lollies he will gain weight but fat...
put a guy on a 3000cal diet of meat complex carbs high protein he will gain weight but mostly muscle
Assuming exercise of course.

And that is completely right. Its a little more than eating calories, its what kind of calories.

Heavily processed foods tend to have effects like that.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Call_Me_Daddy,

You are not cool. No amount of trying to act like a tough guy is going to convince us.