Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How important is a (good) personal trainer for results?

the_govner

Don Juan
Reaction score
and If you've already had a personal trainer (assuming good again), would you go back to working out alone even tho you can afford a PT?

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Personal trainer...meh....

I've had a ton of gym partners come and go. The constant are my headphones and I.

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if you need one get a friend who knows about working out and workout together

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought I mastered every movement conceived..and thought I had a solid grasp on optimal kinesiology, then came my new friend and work out partner
Dave Ricks
He made slight tweaks to all of my "big 3 lifts" which opened a whole new door to biomechanics and the way I train.

Tiny changes from someone who had years of experience made a significant difference.

A good trainer/teacher/friend/expert etc. is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT if you care enough to want to learn how to do things perfectly or at least from a different perspective.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends on your level of dedication. Really, if you are an adult and at least sort of smart, you can do your own research and implement your own programs. Many people NEED a trainer to push them through the workouts and to motivate them. That is really what they are for.

I will say this, though: If you train in the company of guys who are better than you, you will make tons more progress than if you trained alone or with wimps. It's easy to feel like Captain Mighty Balls when you are the strongest guy in the gym, but go to a place where almost everyone is stronger than you---and you will work your as$ off to catch up. You wont slack, you will feel like your lifts are sub-par instead of amazing, and you will push yourself farther than you ever did when you were the 'big man'. That's one reason why Westside lifters have been so successful---they all train amongst the strongest lifters in the world.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
It's easy to feel like Captain Mighty Balls when you are the strongest guy in the gym, but go to a place where almost everyone is stronger than you---and you will work your as$ off to catch up. You wont slack, you will feel like your lifts are sub-par instead of amazing, and you will push yourself farther than you ever did when you were the 'big man'. That's one reason why Westside lifters have been so successful---they all train amongst the strongest lifters in the world.
I have no clue why but I LOVE being the best in my gym,for anything under 28ish. When I see people who come close to catching my physique it pushes me harder,not trying to catch anyone else. Cause for me the only cats that I need to catch up to are the 28+,and there is nothing I can do to catch up to the dude that's have been lifting for 10+ years.....there is no substitute for time.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being the best is a great feeling. Everyone looks up to you, the trainers/owners respect you, and the girls ogle you. That in itself can be motivating because you want to stay on top and enjoy the attention.

From my experience I went from a gym where everyone would stop and watch me bench or deadlift to a gym where a 500 lb deadlift doesn't even turn a head. At first I was like "damn, this is a downer", but after a few weeks I made friends with some of the really strong guys and they give me advice on my lifts. Like any new place or club, you gotta earn your respect.

Reaction score
If you can afford it, of course!

When I boxed, my boxing coach helped me out tremendously. I went from a flat footed punching bag to a smooth punching machine.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a PT and honestly if you're self-motivated, it's not important at all.

There's more correct information out there on the internet than most personal trainers will tell you.

A good lifting partner, solid diet, and good routine will be worth much more to you than a PT; and cheaper nonetheless.

Blank

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a personal trainer when I first started and it was useful to have someone show me the proper way to do all of the movements and to work out a nice split for me but he didn't help me stay motivated or anything.

I would say if you need more insights about exercising, get one. If you want to stay motivated, lift with a friend.