Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How do I turn two me's into one?

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
Before I dive into the meat of the post, here is some background on the setting of where I am: I currently work a job at a large company - with a lot of people around my age - located in the boonies. Observing fellow co-workers (and experiencing some of this myself), I have come to learn/realize that the people I will meet and eventually get to know are all from work. I am still one of the newer people at the company, but I am not "new."

Now, the situation. There are attractive girls I see and know at work, but a lot of them have bf's or there are other disqualifying factors that would prohibit anything. Anyways, there is a new temp that recently started. Like a good DJ would, I smoothly made my intro, did some C&F, got her number, and she wanted to join me and a couple friends at a bar this past weekend. Unfortunately, a killer monsoon-type thunderstorm ensued when she got off work and she couldn't go (considering I was hydroplaning down a highway and could barely see the road soon after - and I'm not brand new to the area, this is not flaking).

The enemy soon became time. Because she is attractive, she obviously began getting attention from other people - guys in my position who have been there longer than me. One guy just kind of follows/hangs around her all the time, which doesn't help me (just because it's annoying). Another couple of guys are good friends and the combined bulk of them have created hang out opportunities with groups of girls before. So, this is the question: While still maintaining the frame that I am the prize, how do I stand out?

My thread title suggests "two me's." The reason for this is because, at this large company, my natural personality - and strong work ethic/performance - allows me to stand out among hundreds of others. However, some of the following traits do not help with girls or this situation:
-I am extremely gregarious. I talk a lot and am always optimistic/upbeat (but not overly so). Think Apollo Creed if you've seen any Rocky films. One HB I am friends with jokes that I am "the Mayor" because I know a lot of people (acquaintance level) and I have only been here a few months. Superiors and some of the bigger names at the company know me as well for this reason. IMO, the possible downfall here is that people will think I'm putting up an act when I am not.
-The chip on my shoulder as motivation (a lot of doubters in my past). This works brilliantly with the actual job. My bosses say I am very advanced for someone a few months in - and they want me to display an aura of extreme confidence for that reason! The problem with girls is this is going to come off as arrogant. I believe I can do anything after running through it once. While my performance has shown the trend to be true, it's not going to come off as humble. In reality, I don't brag, but you get the point.
-Finally, when I sense competition during work, I go into beast mode. My friend/co-worker said to me, "I'd never want to face you in a do-or-die situation." I will do whatever it takes to win, since I am naturally very competitive. Unfortunately, this going over-the-top tactic does not work socially. I feel I'd come off as needy or trying to do too much.

I know it's a lot to digest, but I was hoping you could help me with tweaking my personality into a well-oiled lady-getting machine in the workplace - particularly the girl I mentioned at the top of the post. The "be silent/distance/not present" game does not work with me because its the opposite of who I am, also with so many people at the company I would fall off the radar. However, I have to believe there are ways I can tone certain things down while raising others up to make it work.

And yes, I am aware of any ramifications and am ok about it - I trust myself and my decisions. Overall, I feel confident about what I can do.

mahoney

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
the factors you think work against you may not necessarily actually work against you at all - if they are natural facets of your personality i would work with them not against them. i don't necessarily think you have to change very much here to be honest - other than maybe in certain scenarios to calm down a bit (change of pace can be nice from time to time when appropriate - dont go silent tho!)

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
mahoney said:
the factors you think work against you may not necessarily actually work against you at all - if they are natural facets of your personality i would work with them not against them. i don't necessarily think you have to change very much here to be honest - other than maybe in certain scenarios to calm down a bit (change of pace can be nice from time to time when appropriate - dont go silent tho!)
You phrased the first sentence better than me. Basically, what I am looking for is, How do I use my brand/personality to my advantage in this circumstance(s)? IMO, how I present myself works well with getting to know people (acquaintances, etc.), but it's been much more inconsistent with girls I am interested in (and I don't change).

Despite the outgoingness and trying to keep things calm/fun for the people I work with, I still feel I show respect to anyone I work/associate with (very strong believer in the golden rule), am responsible and present myself well. A girl told me today that I don't act like a normal 23 year old, for what that's worth (she meant it in a good way).

Mr. Goods

Don Juan
Reaction score
Similar to what I said in the OP, I feel some of the qualities that make me good at my job don't balance out as well when it comes to girls. At the same time, I feel there could be ways to "tweak" things so my strengths at work also balance out socially...if that wasn't too confusing to understand.