Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How can I straighten my life out?

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have no car, make minimum wage, no college degree though I have taken college classes on and off over the past 5 years, live with parents but pay rent. The area I live in has no transit and I walk to work since my job is just right outside my apartment complex. I have over 3000 saved for a used car.

What would you do in my situation?

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My honest opinion is that you might want to take a second job, perhaps a night time security gig. Or see if you can apprentice with a plumber, electrician, or perhaps go to adult school and get a certificate in welding.

Save up a little bit of money and buy yourself a decent used car like a toyota carolla or a honda civic -- something simple and economical.

Continue working two jobs to save up some money. When you have enough money saved, try to enroll in adult school.

adult schools have some decent programs like surgical technician which can make decent money ~ 50K per year. Anything healthcare related is good job stability and is expected to grow in the coming years.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have no car, make minimum wage, no college degree though I have taken college classes on and off over the past 5 years, live with parents but pay rent. The area I live in has no transit and I walk to work since my job is just right outside my apartment complex. I have over 3000 saved for a used car.

Do you know of anything, ANYTHING, you are even halfway good at? Did you have a subject in school that was better than the others? Do you take to doing things with your hands over academic stuff?

Figure that out and in the meantime, keep working. Maybe get a second job or another job that pays higher, which should be possible. Save some money and take advantage of your living situation. I wouldn't buy a car, if you don't need it for work.

LiveYourDream

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Envision a life that you are passionate about. Set long term and short term goals, to get you there. Start. Take action. Every day take more action and make choices to accomplish those goals. Stay focused. Persevere, step by step. Embrace and enjoy every step along the way the best you can.

Last edited:

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you know of anything, ANYTHING, you are even halfway good at? Did you have a subject in school that was better than the others? Do you take to doing things with your hands over academic stuff?

Figure that out and in the meantime, keep working. Maybe get a second job or another job that pays higher, which should be possible. Save some money and take advantage of your living situation. I wouldn't buy a car, if you don't need it for work.
I can't really think of anything lucrative I am good at. I always did well in history classes in school, and teachers said I was a good writer. Apparently teachers dont get paid much but I kind of wanted to be a high school history teacher back in high school. I definitely hate working construction or with carpentry, both which I have a little experience with from working day labor about a year ago.

The places around me dont seem to be hiring, and I really want that second job. I would need to drive or uber ride to another area in order to be on time to work every day.

B

BlueAlpha1

I can't really think of anything lucrative I am good at. I always did well in history classes in school, and teachers said I was a good writer. Apparently teachers dont get paid much but I kind of wanted to be a high school history teacher back in high school. I definitely hate working construction or with carpentry, both which I have a little experience with from working day labor about a year ago.

The places around me dont seem to be hiring, and I really want that second job. I would need to drive or uber ride to another area in order to be on time to work every day.
How old are you and white state do you live? Is it rural or urban?

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
23 but whats the point in knowing? And its a suburb of Houston, Texas

B

BlueAlpha1

Because it makes a difference in job opportunities when you compare rural vs urban if you are not happy making minimum wage. At 23, it's not a terrible idea to continue living at home. Is recommend to set a goal to save $5,000 and then get your own place right after that.

If you decide to stay in your suburb, see if you can work with a couple temp agencies to find you a more suitable job in your area. A lot of these employment agencies can hook you up for up to $12 an hour even with minimal skills which would be a nice improvement from $7-8. With 5k in the bank you can justify buying a 6-8 year old economy car for $2,500.

If you are considering leaving I'd try a midsize city with more job opportunities. This is what I did. I live in a medium sized market in Florida with a population of 350,000. I've lived both in very urban NYC (8 million people) and rural northeast Wisconsin (30,000 people). I don't regret finding a nice middle ground. With $5,000 you can put down the security deposit on an apartment, buy that economy car, and start driving it for Uber to start with just to make a little income while you search for jobs in your new/larger market.

I'd try to get grants (not loans) if you can to take a few more college classes and get a 2-year degree. Lots of companies want some organized college track record now.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You live in one of the biggest metro areas in the country. You say you want to be a teacher (pretty easy degree to obtain). Work, save up money, go get teaching degree. Teach during the year, take a side job in the summers or during the holidays.

If you want something extra, save more money and get a law degree.

There's your plan. Execute it. If you don't want to do that, seems to me you have a 'get up and go' problem.

Stephen89

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

You could go get yourself into university and study a degree. 23 is very young.

If you want to, look at my new thread 'put code onto GitHub'.

Start learning Python, Java, then start developing projects, get a book on how to develop 2D video games and create a couple, put these on GitHub and do the best Resume/CV you can and then apply for programmer, developer jobs. Also learning databases and web technologies along the way.

Programmers, developers get paid a lot.

GoodOne123

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First off acknowledge that you have a job, money saved up, and a place to stay. At least you have that. There are people nowadays that don't even have these things.

Second, you need to convince yourself that your situation is terrible and you need to change fast. This will fuel you. If you tell yourself your situation is not so bad you will never have the motivation to change. This is crucial.

From my knowledge, you can do a few things:

Go to college and get a degree in a field that you like, yet also will have good job prospects. Read Aaron Clareys "worthless" or just watch his Youtube videos for insight on what degree to invest in.

Start a business in something you are passionate about. Governments give loans to start-ups to get them going, also Internet businesses like blogs require a small amount of money to make.

Learn a trade like plumbing or being an electrician. These trades will always have work, and have potential for starting your own business further down the line.

If you don't know about investing and the stock market, it can't help but know a bit about it. You could make a bit of money on the side from this if you want.

Put some spare time in doing things that excite you or make you happy. This could be hobbies, learning something new, going out with friends, or just meeting new girls to date.

Next, just buy your car and get a place to stay if you want to. You have the money for the car, the next step is saving a bit for rent. If you want to save your money instead, then stay with your parents. Consider having a studio room with the toilet and kitchen utilities to yourself. It might be a bit more pricey than a shared flat, but there is a chance you will dislike your flatmates or prefer more privacy if you choose a shared flat. But it's up to you what you prefer.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Read "what color is your parachute". That will help you start to choose a direction. When you know what you want to do, aim for that. Not paying transport costs is a pretty good deal these days... Or go to some 3rd world ****hole where the dollar is still king and get high and laid until your money runs out....

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off acknowledge that you have a job, money saved up, and a place to stay. At least you have that. There are people nowadays that don't even have these things.

Second, you need to convince yourself that your situation is terrible and you need to change fast. This will fuel you. If you tell yourself your situation is not so bad you will never have the motivation to change. This is crucial.

From my knowledge, you can do a few things:

Go to college and get a degree in a field that you like, yet also will have good job prospects. Read Aaron Clareys "worthless" or just watch his Youtube videos for insight on what degree to invest in.

Start a business in something you are passionate about. Governments give loans to start-ups to get them going, also Internet businesses like blogs require a small amount of money to make.

Learn a trade like plumbing or being an electrician. These trades will always have work, and have potential for starting your own business further down the line.

If you don't know about investing and the stock market, it can't help but know a bit about it. You could make a bit of money on the side from this if you want.

Put some spare time in doing things that excite you or make you happy. This could be hobbies, learning something new, going out with friends, or just meeting new girls to date.

Next, just buy your car and get a place to stay if you want to. You have the money for the car, the next step is saving a bit for rent. If you want to save your money instead, then stay with your parents. Consider having a studio room with the toilet and kitchen utilities to yourself. It might be a bit more pricey than a shared flat, but there is a chance you will dislike your flatmates or prefer more privacy if you choose a shared flat. But it's up to you what you prefer.
Excellent advice here, and I am actually pretty miserable with my current situation. I am trying for a second or better paying job right now and save more money for the car. I have to wait another year before I can afford tuition.

But big update, guys. My parents are gone for the week and I figure this is an excellent time to work on myself. What exactly should I focus on, or any tips?

Also fyi I live in Sugar Land TX, so need a car for transportation.

daddymonsterpoodle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Figure out what the fvck you want to do... Find your passion and go for it. Dont let women be your passion. Let women be an enjoyable distraction. Letting a woman control your life choices is like letting a toddler write your grocery list.

Go for an hour jog everyday.
Look at situations vacant all over the country.
Look at free courses on any toopic that interests you in your area.
Set some goals for yourself.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Coursera has programming courses for free online. They also do languages. At age 23 in the states you should speak Spanish and probably Mandarin the way the world is going both are world languages that are the base of many other languages. Just trust me you wouldn't be wasting your time. I'd suggest a trade I know plenty of guys who weren't very handy with their hands and became good plumbers or sparkys. Modern chicks love Tradies and it's good that your job will help you to stay in shape as you get older. And as others have said it easy to start your own business which is naturally a lot more Alpha than working for the man.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A quick Point about how you do it. Chicks aren't as dumb as we make out here sometimes. Every woman I know who is studying something has formed a study group with her classmates. Coursera courses have online forums you should be able to use them to find people in your area who are doing the same course.

A lot of times here we seem to suffer from the Superman syndrome that says you should stay at home grinding away and pull yourself up by your own bootstraps.

That's BS. Willpower is also a limited resource that runs out when you use it up. Do it with other like minded people and use the power of the group to keep you motivated. So form your study or fitness group and it also gives you a reason to be busy at nights that you can tell chicks. At age 23 a woman is happy to see you just working on your potential. By your 30s they expect to see results and couldn't care less about your potential.

Dingo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Join the military...... but you might be too old...

Epicwinguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because it makes a difference in job opportunities when you compare rural vs urban if you are not happy making minimum wage. At 23, it's not a terrible idea to continue living at home. Is recommend to set a goal to save $5,000 and then get your own place right after that.

If you decide to stay in your suburb, see if you can work with a couple temp agencies to find you a more suitable job in your area. A lot of these employment agencies can hook you up for up to $12 an hour even with minimal skills which would be a nice improvement from $7-8. With 5k in the bank you can justify buying a 6-8 year old economy car for $2,500.

If you are considering leaving I'd try a midsize city with more job opportunities. This is what I did. I live in a medium sized market in Florida with a population of 350,000. I've lived both in very urban NYC (8 million people) and rural northeast Wisconsin (30,000 people). I don't regret finding a nice middle ground. With $5,000 you can put down the security deposit on an apartment, buy that economy car, and start driving it for Uber to start with just to make a little income while you search for jobs in your new/larger market.

I'd try to get grants (not loans) if you can to take a few more college classes and get a 2-year degree. Lots of companies want some organized college track record now.
Just curious, whats wrong with very urban NYC? Why wouldn't you go back?

A lot of people seem to think big cities and especially places like New York City are horrible, but I never understood why. I have always wanted to live in a very urban place with good transit and a lot to see. Is it just the cost of living?

B

BlueAlpha1

Just curious, whats wrong with very urban NYC? Why wouldn't you go back?

A lot of people seem to think big cities and especially places like New York City are horrible, but I never understood why. I have always wanted to live in a very urban place with good transit and a lot to see. Is it just the cost of living?
I think there's a big difference between your average urban place and NYC. I currently live in a city with 350,000 people and live a mile from a college with 50,000+ students. It's a vibrant area and hardly backwoods living. Couldn't do the other extreme of "tumbleweed through a ghost town" thing either. Dated a girl who grew up in a trailer in the woods in Missouri. I was very freaked out when I met her family for the first time. Also been to upstate NY near the Adirondacks, population 2,000 plus a few bears and they are some deranged people up there...

But NYC is overly crowded with millions of people crowded in 5 small boroughs. The traffic is off the charts and will keep your cortisol levels sky high. The subways are disgusting. Winters are harsh. Crime is increasing again for the first time in 20+ years. The city is constantly scheming to collect revenue from tickets and fines with the most idiotic rules and regulations meant to punish the small business owner or working class man. Never an end to the noise (think horns and bass outside your window at 3 am). And I didn't even get into the cost of living. It's $1,800 to rent an aging 2 bedroom. For a luxury apartment you're looking at 3200 a month. You'll pay $1500 for the same place in a mid-size city in Florida. If you're a millionaire living in midtown, NYC is the best city in the world. But it's VERY hard on the working man, and the stress on their faces shows. Fuses are short and hours are long

LamHappyWheels

Reaction score
I think under the simplified living expenses, each of proving as simple
Happy Wheels 86[/URL]
Friv 4[/URL]