How big of a disadvantage is hairloss when trying to be a dj?

realsmoothie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just to add to that... the baldness gene is actually carried by the WOMAN in your family.

It's a perfect SoSuave topic... you can actually blame women for this!

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe that the whole thing with men being concerned with their hairloss is one of the MOST obvious, exploited, and widely accepted, "feminization of males" things there is. Who taught you to be ashamed of your hair? Embrace your masculinity - don't be ashamed of it.
Where the hell is this coming from? Men have been concerned with hair loss and trying to treat it with all sorts of crap for centuries.

Just to add to that... the baldness gene is actually carried by the WOMAN in your family.
That is a myth.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How big of a disadvantage is hairloss when trying to be a dj?
Being a "dj" is not about just picking women (PUAs do that). Being a DJ is about evolving into a "Prize". And to do that...it requires a lot of self improvement in several areas of your life.

Since when baldness has stopped people from self improvement? You can only stop yourself.

You can be bald...but if you work on your career, intellect, fitness, health, and work on disabling AFCs tendencies, among other things...then baldness becomes irrelevant.

In fact, baldness becomes only as relevant as high or race or skin color or eyes color or ethnicity or freckles.

blueguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Speaking in general terms and from experience, we all judge things based on their appearances... Even 90% of our communication is perceived through body language. There is no fighting it. It's a visual world. So don't ask yourself how much of a disadvantage it is. We were all born with certain cards, some better than others. Just make the best of what you have. A lot of people don't.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wasn't going to touch this subject with a ten foot pole, but here goes....

Baldness= a disadvantage in the mating game. Anyone who denies this doesn't know what they are talking about.

I am bald. Have been balding since my teens. It bothered me a lot when I was in my early to mid 20's, so I researched transplants and tried Propecia. The Propecia helped regrow some hair but not enough to justify staying on it. I am VERY glad I didn't have transplants due to my level of hairloss on the top and sides of my head. THINK TWICE BEFORE GOING THIS ROUTE.

By the time I hit my mid 20's I started cutting my hair shorter and shorter and eventually shaved it completely. I shaved for the better part of a decade. Doing so took away most of the self consciousness. I lived my life just fine during that time, even managed to get girls, believe it or not. One of them I was with for two years.....she was a HOT 21 year old, ten years younger than me. So I KNOW baldness isn't the end of the world.

So a little more than a year ago I was talking to a guy I know. He pulled out a drivers license, and at first I thought it belonged to someone else. The picture was of a bald guy who looked pretty crappy, IMO.

He went on to explain that his baldness REALLY affected his confidence, so he decided to do something about it. He ended up going to Hair Club and got a hairpiece (thats all it is folks, despite what their advertising might lead you to believe).

I was absolutely shocked and amazed, because up until that point I didn't realize that a hairpiece could look totally natural and undetectable. I was starting to get tired of my look and wanted something different, so I started researching on the internet.

What I found really opened my eyes. Turns out, even though my friend had a good experience with Hair Club, lots of other people were very dissatisfied.

Eventually I stumbled upon a website that had a message board filled with people discussing do-it-yourself hair replacement. Basically, there are a couple of sites on the internet that sell super high quality hairpieces, and instead of going to a salon you buy from the internet and do everything yourself. They even teach you how to cut your own hair and hairpiece.

So I bit the bullet and tried it. I had a hard time in the beginning trying to get the right color match, cut, attachment, etc. But now that I have been doing it for awhile I have worked out most of the bugs.

Basically, you can have hair back on your head for about $50 per month if you learn how to cut it yourself. Add a few bucks if you want to pay a stylist.

People who don't know better will tell you "NEVER wear a hairpiece" because they either don't know that a quality piece can look 100% natural, or they can't stand the thought of what OTHERS might think if they found out, or they have some kind of hangup that won't allow them to open their mind to the idea.

It isn't for everyone (you have to have enough confidence to wear) but it IS a viable alternative to walking around with a bald head.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP - Being bold did not stop you from been a succesful man.

I do agree that hair loss at an EARLY age (once you are in your 40s and 50s it does not matter) can put a man in a disadvantage. But I strongly believe that has to do a much with self-confidence as anything else.

Lot of cool bold headed guys out there.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
STR8UP - Being bold did not stop you from been a succesful man.
I doesn't STOP you, but it can hold you back.

I do agree that hair loss at an EARLY age (once you are in your 40s and 50s it does not matter) can put a man in a disadvantage. But I strongly believe that has to do a much with self-confidence as anything else.
Like you said, it can put you at a disadvantage. You can compensate for that disadvantage some other way, but until you do something about the balding you will always have that working against you.

wayword

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
People who don't know better will tell you "NEVER wear a hairpiece" because they either don't know that a quality piece can look 100% natural, or they can't stand the thought of what OTHERS might think if they found out, or they have some kind of hangup that won't allow them to open their mind to the idea.

It isn't for everyone (you have to have enough confidence to wear) but it IS a viable alternative to walking around with a bald head.
What happens when the girl eventually finds out...like if she runs her fingers thru it or when you take it off to shower?

And do you have an easier time picking up chicks now with the rug than before when balding or shaved?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wayword said:
What happens when the girl eventually finds out...like if she runs her fingers thru it or when you take it off to shower?

And do you have an easier time picking up chicks now with the rug than before when balding or shaved?
If you have a proper attachment you can't see it OR feel it. And you don't have to take it off to shower. Last year at a July 4th party I jumped right in the swimming pool in front of about 30 people, someone even took a picture of me from above my head with my camera and my hair looked fine even when wet.

I have only had to tell one chick, and it didn't seem to bother her at all. Like I said, you have to wear with CONFIDENCE, otherwise you won't be able to pull it off.

It really isn't what you think it is....you attach for a week or so and go on about your life. It's not going to fall off your head and it's not going to get pulled off (would have to be one hell of a pull).

Do I have an easier time picking up chicks with a piece?

That's hard to answer because over the past year or two I have had more interest from women than any time in my life, but I can't tell you if it's directly attributable to having hair. It could also have to do with a number of other factors.

All I know is that I get more compliments on my hair NOW than at any time in my life, so it can't be hurting anything.

SoCalMike

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i agree with the other poster: shave your head (or crop it real short, like #1 guard on the clippers). bulking up would help tremendously. not freako huge, but fairly big. if you don't know how to bulk up, PM me i can help.

being bald is really not that bad. yes, it is a disadvantage, but can easily be outweighed by personality, muscular build, social status, etc. etc.

i personally know of two bald guys who have gorgeous wives/fiances. one is skinny and in a band and has that whole rocker thing going for him, the other is built like a tank.

Not many of us are born perfect, most of us have to use what we've got to our fullest potential and it's a lot of work but worth it.

Nuff said

Hitman10000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WaterTiger said:
Vin Deisel, Bruce Willis, Yul Brenner, Telly Savales are all bald STUDS! Baldness is only a problem if you let it be. Buzz you hair to a 1/2 inch or so. Remind this silly girls that male pattern baldness is caused by excess testosterone and she damn well better be able to keep up with you in bed! Stop worrying about your hair and worry about your self-confidence and your game!
Fallacy of argument: You're comparing average joes to Hollywood action stars.

Women do prefer a man with a full head of hair, but if you don't.. No probs but you should have a strong background to back you up.

hadoken

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 33 and started losing my hair at 25. I did a TON of research on this and for the *average* guy, shaving your head is the best option, not growing it to cover spots, taking drugs, transplants or a hair piece. You have to think of it as a lost war, and you need to minimize casualties. You don't want to start doing comb overs (it's so embarrassing when someone cracks a comb-over joke and you are there), drugs have potential side-effects and provide marginal gain, transplants can come out horrible (i've seen it) and will cost a LOT of money, and hair pieces will make you very self-conscious and force you to perpetuate a lie that gets harder as your hair recedes (see Bret Michaels). The earlier you shave it and get used to it, the better off you will be in the long run in terms of confidence and acceptance of our dilemma.

Now how big of a disadvantage? Lots of factors involved here, but for the mature men here, the 25+ crowd of girls are very forgiving on this. Think about all the characteristics girls have to consider for guys - PERSONALITY, age, height, body build, ethnicity, eyes, teeth, skin complexion, education, career, your fashion sense and whether you are generally a "handsome" guy...when you put all these factors into play, hair becomes a minor effect.

I will admit, some guys look better than others with a shaved head. I am grateful that I have a round head so it works for me. I *really* miss having hair, I am not going to deny that. However, I firmly believe that no girl has ever shot me down simply for hairloss alone. It's a nice to have but so is an Aston Martin.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hadoken said:
and hair pieces will make you very self-conscious and force you to perpetuate a lie that gets harder as your hair recedes (see Bret Michaels).
And this is based upon what? Your personal opinion.

This is why a lot of people would never get a piece. Because they either believe all of the misconceptions, or they have TRULY researched the option but lack the confidence to go through with it.

And it doesn't get any harder to "perpetuate the lie" as you hair recedes. I am at the point where I am going to go with a full cap (covers your entire head) due to my sides being so thin. Costs $20 more than a partial.

Now how big of a disadvantage? Lots of factors involved here, but for the mature men here, the 25+ crowd of girls are very forgiving on this.
I agree, it becomes less of an issue the older the woman is. HOWEVER....all other things being equal, MOST women would choose a guy with hair over a balding one.

hadoken

Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
And this is based upon what? Your personal opinion.

<cut>

I agree, it becomes less of an issue the older the woman is. HOWEVER....all other things being equal, MOST women would choose a guy with hair over a balding one.
Of course it is my personal opinion, but I do know 2 people who used hairpieces, an ex-boss and a friend's brother (who interestingly enough met Mr Sterling of Hair Club at an airport, chatted up a storm with him and then used the product for a short time). For both of them, I still believe they were better off not bothering. I'm fine if someone wants to use one, don't get me wrong, but I just believe the *average* guy is better off getting comfortable with his hairloss. That's simply my opinion. And I never said women would choose a balding guy over a hair dude all things being equal. Of course they would - my point was it's *never* all things being equal.

fertileTurtle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shave it short. There are no disadvantages other than the fact that all the shallow prisses will not like it. :moon:

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hitman10000 said:
Fallacy of argument: You're comparing average joes to Hollywood action stars.
Average joes? Are you calling your fellow DJ's AVERAGE JOES??? DUDE! Why are you cutting them down like that? What did they ever do to you?

(I used Vin and Bruce as refernces that most people will know instantly. If I used the name Mark Buschen as a bald man who pulls alot of women it wouldn't have quite the same impact...but it would still be true.):)

Mikeman!

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Steve, you have several options....

1. Shave your head(If you can pull it off well)
2. Get a hair piece/system
3. Use topical concealers(lookup Dermmatch/Toppik(hair fibres)
4. Try medications(Rogaine/Propecia)
5. Get a hair transplant

I have made use of topical concealers to very good effect for about 1 1/2 years...If you have diffuse thinning, you can use dermmatch to basically paint your scalp, and then use toppik to sprinkle hair fibres overtop to simulate real hair. This can give you a full looking head of hair again which depending on your degree of loss may not be detectable, or only detectable under intense lighting.

I recently went and got a hair transplant myself in December 2006 of 5800 follicular grafts(1 graft = 1-3 hairs usually). It was taken out as a strip from the back of the head(donor area) 30cm strip by 2.5cm thick(scar won't be visible once healed unless shaving lower than a #3 or #2 guard)...then dissected by a group of techs...The doctor then makes incisions in your scalp for the techs to place the grafts back into the balding areas.

The average person has about 8000 grafts to harvest depending on donor scalp laxity and hair density(In several sessions, it's rare people harvest over 5000 grafts in one session). It takes about 3 months before the transplanted hair begins to grow out, by month 6-8 you will see 90% of the results, and in 1 years time your transplanted hair will be fully thickened and of the same texture as the surrounding native hair.

You can obtain a full or full-looking head of hair again depending upon your degree of hairloss and size of your procedure...The average human head has 100 grafts/cm2...in order to obtain the illusion of a full head of hair, you only need to transplant at 50 grafts/cm2. Once mine is fully grown out, I will obtain a full looking head of hair, I'll just have a bit of a thin crown which I can always get fixed in a later surgery(I'm a Norwood 5, somewhat advanced).

The whole thing cost me 20k(I got a big procedure though, might cost you around 12-15k)...If you're going to do surgery, picking the top doctor is key. The best in the industry are pretty much all in Canada..I would suggest either Hasson&Wong(Vancouver) for conservative hair placement or Dr. Armani(Toronto) for a more aggresive youthful hairline.

There are many actors who have had hair transplants...Mel Gibson, Jamie Fox, Matthew Mcconaughey to name a few..
Then there are those who wear hair systems like Ben Affleck, Brendon Fraser and John Travolta...
(There are pictures which clearly show this which you can find on the internet if you search around enough)

If you consider a hair transplant, do A LOT of researching first on internet forums...such as this one:
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was 31 I was pretty damn bald, was shaving my head, the whole deal, and managed to pull a 21 yr old hottie that would make most men of any age drool. But that's beside the point. The point is HAIRLOSS IS GENERALLY A DISADVANTAGE.

I'm not saying you should do ANYTHING about it. I did the shaving thing for years and it served me well. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't rule out all of your option until you have thoroughly investigated them if you are uncomfortable with your appearance.

I just styled my hair up...was going to wear a hat tonite cause I didn't feel like messing with it, but it looks AWESOME. Heading out in a few minutes with a group of chicks in their early to mid 20's.....I'll take my chances with the awesome looking hair with the younger ones (the ones I like), what you do is a personal choice, just DON'T RULE OUT OPTIONS!

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Women are too busy staring at my muscles to notice my abscence of hair.
Period.

Women are too busy looking at my smile/lips/mouth/dimples (cuz they want to makeout) to see my big-ass forehead.
Period.

Women can't even see north of my eyes - that's where the eyes absolutely stop. Period.

You guys need to stop being "victims of hair loss". Benjamin Franklin was hella-bald... and that dude had game oozing out of his folicles instead of hair. Man! Benjamin Franklin rocked his baldness so hard... dude had the bald version of a mullet - and still scored with the ladies.

Studies have proved that women associate pictures of bald men with terms like "distinguished", "mature", and "prominent". Not "douchebag", "wuss", "gameless", or "feminine".