Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Home made protein bars.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok first off let me state that I can't take the credit for this - got it from a guy on a couple of the UK lifting boards.

Ive upped the original ingrediant amounts so as to make a bigger batch.

2 Jars (340g each) of peanut butter.
1 Jar (454g) clear honey.
About 3 cups of oats.
Approx 20 oz protein powder - chocolate would be best.

Mix the pb and honey and microwave for about 90-120 seconds.

Pour into LARGE mixing bowl or baking tray etc, add the oats and protein powder and get ya hands in!

I added a little olive oil as the batch I just did was a litte dry - perhaps play with the ratio of ingrediants to get it how you want it. Smooth out and leave to stand then stick it in the refrigerator overnight. Cut into bars. Ideally I would add more protein powder so as to get more per bar but you dont want it too dry. Experiment a little.

Sorry to you USA dudes but you will have to do the gram to ounce conversion yourself:p

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The British have a reputation for having lousy cuisine (Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver notwithstanding) and this recipe shows why!!

You realize this recipe SHOULD BE COOKED!!

RAW OATS AND PROTEIN POWDER ??? Yuck!

This recipe might work if you toast the oats FIRST in the oven to soften them a bit... if you want you can throw in a couple of melted marshmallows and some puffed rice cook it a bit, THEN let cool THEN MIX with the rest of the ingredients !!

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't knock it til you've tried it. It works just fine as it is, to which many over here will attest. The original thread I saw this on has had over 23000 views and scores of overwhelmingly positive replies. All of my chums who have tried it rave about the fantastic taste.

I too thought it should have been cooked but it's amazing how it works without doing so and tastes great to boot. Remember, the pb and honey mix is very warm when you add the oats which seems to soften them nicely. Just taken a batch out the fridge. Needs a tad MORE oats and I'll be a touch less liberal with the olive oil next time but pretty good all the same.

LOL @ Nigella Lawson!

Last edited:

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a similar recipe that I've used several times (same ingredients, possibly different measurements). They really DO come out a lot better than you'd think. And you can't let the pb or honey cool much or it's damn near impossible to stir in the oats and powder.

In my recipe, the first time I made it it seemed like there wasn't enough moisture with just the pb and honey to get everything mixed. It turned out to be not true. It just requires a LOT of forearm strength to mix. The bars come out of the pan very solid.

I'd actually make these all the time but clean-up can be a ***** and they don't hold up in my bookbag quite as well as some store-bought bars. They are a lot cheaper though, and you know what you're putting into them.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigforearms
[B It just requires a LOT of forearm strength to mix.

[/B]
I guess you mix yours pretty good then?!

I used 20 oz of GEN Humanavar which is too sweet for my tastes in a shake but fukkin amazing in the bars. Gonna use a whole shaker full next time.

Trouble is I can't stop eating the damn things now!

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to take lowfat yogurt, a cup of uncooked oatmeal, 1 1.2 cups milk, a banana, and protein poweder, and mix it in the blender...makes a nice shake.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
These bars may taste good, but nutritionally they are pretty bad.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sure, they aren't the most nutritionally scientific food but that's not the point. A lot of guys on here will be desperately trying to gain weight and they can be a nice addition to your arsenal when aiming for such a goal. Plenty of protein, carbs, and some healthy fat.

Sure there is a lot of sugar there too but when else would you consume too much sugar in your day? You probably don't. You could eat a couple after a workout when you need to replenish glycogen stores, prevent catabolism and increase protein synthesis. Not as good as a well prepared protein/carb drink as the combination of foods will slow the absorption of glucose from the small intestine but makes a nice occassional and convenient change nonetheless. Personally I don't want to analyse the nutritional make-up of everything I eat.

As with most things, moderation is the key, use as a handy snack when on the go at times when preparing a meal might be difficult but of course don't overdo it.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, I wrote something but decided there's no way to argue this without being a jackass.

So, I decided to post this article:

One of the goals of eating to grow should be to maximize the muscle gain to fat gain ratio. Basically you want to pack on the most muscle with the least amount of fat gain. To do this you need to understand which meal combos to pursue and which to avoid. The foundations of my recommendations in this area are based on the avoidance of a nasty scenario. The worst case scenario for someone trying to pack on muscle while minimizing fat gain is to have high blood levels of carbs, fat, and insulin at the same time.
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_2.htm

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Big N. It's all good, I welcome constructive feedback/criticism as I am here to learn as well as try and help out.

I've read most of what Jonh Beradi has written on this subject and yes you have a point. But one criticism I have of his writings is the practicality of eating in such a way day in day out. It would take some real dedication to follow his guidelines and food combos all the time - especially with the busy lives most people lead. A guy of 6ft and 150lbs for example isn't gonna be too concerned about gaining a little extra bodyfat - well at least he shouldn't be.

Besides, if most lifters looked at their diet and were honest I would put money on them having simultaneously high levels of fat, carbs and insulin much of the time.

Later

Last edited: