Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

help: usb storage device keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have this problem both with my new usb external hard drive and my usb mp3 player.

I plug either one of them in a usb slot of my computer, and then, at random times, the device disconnects and quickly reconnects back up, cancelling whatever file transfer i was performing, and forcing me to start all over again.

This keeps happening every couple of seconds, making any file transfer a nightmare. Sometimes, it works for a few minutes straight, and then again it disconnects on its own and reconnects right back...

Anyone heard of this sh!tty issue? Do i need a new computer with brand new usb slots? Any tricks to make the usb connection better?

Thanks a lot.

justinsane

Don Juan
Reaction score
Did you try it on another computer to make sure it is not the devices?

sheep-man

Don Juan
Reaction score
yep the clicking sound the light comes on it says its connected and then it stops and starts again its a common problem with usb mass storage devices, its coz your usb port is not giving it enuf power to run so it stops, you fix it by plugging in a dc adapter so it gets its power from the wall but connects to the computer they cost about 20-40$ make sure you use the correct settings making it too high can damage the device 5v should be about rite but email tech support and ask for the specs if the manual doesnt tell u them

Mandiblard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Try going to device manager, right clicking your USB things and updating the drivers.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Try going to device manager, right clicking your USB things and updating the drivers.
If he has anything equal to XP SP2/W2K SP4, this doesn't matter.
yep the clicking sound the light comes on it says its connected and then it stops and starts again its a common problem with usb mass storage devices, its coz your usb port is not giving it enuf power to run so it stops, you fix it by plugging in a dc adapter so it gets its power from the wall but connects to the computer they cost about 20-40$ make sure you use the correct settings making it too high can damage the device 5v should be about rite but email tech support and ask for the specs if the manual doesnt tell u them
You are full of crap.

Mp3 players don't need an external power source from a wall to share files. That's what the battery is for.

And an external, he would have no choice BUT to have a power source attached, unless it's one of those 4Gb usb only deals..
Did you try it on another computer to make sure it is not the devices?
Ding.

flyinshark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have XP SP2, and the hard drive also connects to the wall socket...
I have not tested this hard drive on another computer, but my mp3 player works fine on other computers.

I guess my computer is old, and maybe its usb slots are not recent enough, because when i connect those storage devices the connection seems physically loose.. the usb plug can be moved slightly when it's connected.

I was thinking maybe buying something to make the connection tighter so the plug doesnt move after it's connected? I'm pretty sure once i buy a new computer things willl be okay, but i'm looking for a temporary solution for one more year or so.

I appreciate your help guys.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Ugh, caps.

Test your external, just to make sure it's not wonky.

If your drives are fine, the problem is your computer, whether from a loose connection (look at the board to see if it just needs solder), or if the board is outdated or something stupid, then an upgrade is always good.