Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Height and genetics (study)

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm conducting a study to measure the correlation between the height of a developed adult male and the height of their parents using a multiple regression model.

This should help people predict their growth potential, as well as their children's.
I would appreciate if you could post your height and the height of your parents, ill include it in the data. Ill post the results and explanation by December 7.

Over 21 only please.

Thanks guys

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know what correlations there can actually be:

My mother is 5'5, my father is 5'9 and I'm 5'9 too. Anyway, my younger brothers are 6'1 and 6'0 and growing. Another brother of mine will probably be like 6'3 or so.

I know a guy who's 6'1 and his father is 5'7 tops.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mom: 5'8
Dad: 5'7

Me: 5'9

Height is a genetic trait just like the color of your eyes. It can be dominant and recessive just like anything else. Maybe if you're short, and your parents are tall, you got the recessive short gene, or vice versa.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That discrepancy is strange Adone, and goes against the norm of what Ive gathered.

Most people Ive asked say they are taller than either of their parents, though I suspect its partly an illusion. I considered myself the tallest in my family, but was proved wrong. Its an ego thing :p

I found on the net that the avg height of American males is just under 5'9, though about 90% of the people Ive asked listed themselves and their father as taller than that.

Anyway so far its been pretty much what I expected, their height closely resembles their father's height, though I appreciate your inputs. I wish I could've chosen a more unique study for the course but oh well.

wootapotky

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
That discrepancy is strange Adone, and goes against the norm of what Ive gathered.

Most people Ive asked say they are taller than either of their parents, though I suspect its partly an illusion. I considered myself the tallest in my family, but was proved wrong. Its an ego thing :p

I found on the net that the avg height of American males is just under 5'9, though about 90% of the people Ive asked listed themselves and their father as taller than that.

Anyway so far its been pretty much what I expected, their height closely resembles their father's height, though I appreciate your inputs. I wish I could've chosen a more unique study for the course but oh well.
You've also got to remember that nutrition and activity during a person's youth affects people's height. It's probable that Adone's parents stunted their growth so they aren't as tall as they should be. You should also probably include grandparents into the mix.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wootapotky said:
You've also got to remember that nutrition and activity during a person's youth affects people's height. It's probable that Adone's parents stunted their growth so they aren't as tall as they should be. You should also probably include grandparents into the mix.

I've just asked my mother for some infos in order to help you more:)
She told me that both her and my father's families were pretty wealthy and they ate quite enough when they were young. Her father and grandfather and my father's father and grandfather were all exactly 5'9, so that's not the case.

BUT, she told me what has limited my growth in her opinion. The fact is I'm lactose-intollerant, but this was only found when I was already 6. This means that during my infancy, I would drink whole milk, but couldn't digest it at all and didn't receive any nutrients from it. In fact, as a kid, I was always extremely small-boned (I was not severely underweight, yet I sometimes was 25+ lbs underweight). She also told me that my brothers would eat regularly when they were kids, whereas I would sometimes refuse to eat (probably because I was already filled with the milk I couldn't digest).

Also, you have to consider that I may not be done with growth. I know, I'm already 19, but, after 4 years of growth zero, in the last 3-4 months I've gained a whole inch and my bone structure has gotten larger (my brothers and my friends experienced this around the age of 16, but I also look a lot younger than them).

nosmirk

Don Juan
Reaction score
please note:
height is not determined by a singular trait. you dont not inherit 'recessive alleles' for shortness for example. there is NO SINGULAR gene that determines your height.

rather, there are multiple alleles that code together to give your genetic height.

as with other characteristics such as skin tone and weight, is is determined by environmental factors such as nutrition, as well as your genetics.

Cod3r

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Me: 5'10
Mother: 5'4
Father: 5'11
Sister: 5'8

IMO you can get height from anyone in the family tree, it's not necessarily your father or mother. Like skin color, my whole family is pretty dark, but i'm light like my grandmother on both sides...

Also everyone in my family is huge, they're big as hell. I've got a cousin who plays semi-pro football, another who is a linebacker and uncles who are at least 240+. I'm by far the smallest in my family (and my fam is huge) Has nothing to do with genetics or at least not 100% as I was born 2 months pre-mature and also refused milk as a child... alot of factors determines your life, not just genetics

-Cod3r

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Adone, and everyone else for the input. At 19, you may still have growth in you. I also underate as a youth and grew up skinny. I grew noticably in height from 18 to 21, and gained 30lbs in a few months once I took personal control of my eating schedule.

This study is actually more about compiling data and learning to create multiple linear regression models for a Statistics class, which doesn't require much detail. I already knew the results would be 'inconclusive', as this is but one factor in several, but that was the point of the project.

It's an interesting thing to learn though, especially when it comes time to feeding your own kids for optimal growth.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
Thanks a lot Adone, and everyone else for the input. At 19, you may still have growth in you. I also underate as a youth and grew up skinny. I grew noticably in height from 18 to 21, and gained 30lbs in a few months once I took personal control of my eating schedule.

This study is actually more about compiling data and learning to create multiple linear regression models for a Statistics class, which doesn't require much detail. I already knew the results would be 'inconclusive', as this is but one factor in several, but that was the point of the project.

It's an interesting thing to learn though, especially when it comes time to feeding your own kids for optimal growth.

Good luck for your class, then. Are you studying Economics?

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive taken economics class, but as part of a marketing management program... though the more I think about it the more I wish I did major in economics instead.... blah... Either way, Statistics is incredibly boring :)