Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Heart Rate Question?

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I started going to the gym about 3 - 4 month ago and started thai boxing a month or so ago. When i tested my resting heart rate 3 - 4 month ago it was around 130 now after 3 month its down to around 59 - 65 is this a good improvement?

medik167

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your resting pulse went from 130 (tachycardia) to a lower 59-60 bpm. Well for your resting to be 130, there is usually a heart condition invovled. I have seen some on my patients come in with higher than normal (100-115) and they usually have some medical condition. A low beat per minute can also signify a good heart or a bad heart. Marathon runners and such have a low bpm (50's) because their circulator system is so effecient it takes less beats to get all their tissues properly perfused. I have also done EKG's on people with a low heartrate and they had problems. On the other hand, you may just have been in horrible shape and now you are in better shape. Just a little thought I had when I read this....I am not giving you any medical advice just sharing a few thoughts :)

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:eek: yes it is 59-65 is nice, even good depending on your age, as for 130 3-4 months ago, are you sure about that? maybe you measured after excersize because that figure is far far to high, my guess would be if it was at all possible for it to be so high you would get out of breath from walking. You would have to be so unfit, theres no way you measured it right.

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was really skinny and i smoked alot. Now ive quit smoking and feel alot better. I went to the hospital years ago because of chest pains and they found my heart was around 30% faster than normal ppls hearts - i thought i had this condition for life but i started going to the gym and i mesured my resting rate and it varied between about 110 - 130 now its down to about 59 - 65 but ive noticed i can do more cardio but tend to sweat a little more.

coolguy676767

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am curious about this also, I dont smoke or anything, am young and play football, lift weights 5 times a week, and do some occasional light cardio even out of football season, and my resting heart rate is around 90 or so, what does that mean, cause I dont think I am in that bad of shape, and does it mean I have a possible condition, or I am going to die younger from an overworked heart? any advice would be great.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by coolguy676767
I am curious about this also, I dont smoke or anything, am young and play football, lift weights 5 times a week, and do some occasional light cardio even out of football season, and my resting heart rate is around 90 or so, what does that mean, cause I dont think I am in that bad of shape, and does it mean I have a possible condition, or I am going to die younger from an overworked heart? any advice would be great.
I'd guess that your diet is high in sodium.

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
coolguy when do you take your heart rate when you have just woken up in the morning.

medik167

Don Juan
Reaction score
Having a higher resting pulse doesn't mean your going to do any younger than someone with a 60 bpm pulse. Some people naturally have a higher pulse that comes along with a higher metabolism. You can work on lowering the resting pulse but genetics or your body make-up can set limits. I wouldn't worry about it though.

StringShredder

Don Juan
Reaction score
I hit a personal best of 38 recently! And I had already eaten breakfast and come back from an errand. During a quiet moment, I noticed that the heart was beating strongly and slowly. Usually it's more in the 41-43 range upon waking up.

You get a slower heart rate by increasing the size of the heart, so that it has a larger stroke volume, and by improving the efficiency with which your blood carries oxygen.

Obviously, if your blood carries a greater concentration of oxygen, your heart doesn't have to pump as much of it.

Other than that, your heart rate is controlled by the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

Stimulation by the vagus nerve reduces heart rate! A ``vasovagal syncope'' is a fainting episode caused by a parasympathetic lowering of the heart rate that can be caused by direct stimulation of the vagus nerve. I had that happen once - well, almost, not quite passed out - after squeezing through a narrow space that required me to compress my chest! Moments after, my heart rate started to dive and I started to feel faint. Cleared up after a while, though; I went into the presyncope stage only. I must have put a squeeze on the old vagus nerve when I compressed the sternum, haha. I freaked out a little bit because I thought that maybe I ruptured some internal organ and had an internal bleed, haha.

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
my pulse is currently 78 beats per minute.. i just finished two hours of basketball 20 minutes ago though...could that be why?

2xp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by coolguy676767
...I dont smoke or anything, am young and play football, lift weights 5 times a week, and do some occasional light cardio even out of football season, and my resting heart rate is around 90 or so, what does that mean...
I'd guess that your diet is high in sodium.
yeah, i don't smoke either, i don't drink (just on weekends) am 25, lift+cardio 3 times a week, and i eat healthy foods. i try to limit my salt usage to a minimum (if that's what you mean by sodium)
yet, my resting heart rate is around 65 at waking up and 90 currently.
should i do more cardio?
i couldn't even run a mile 9 months ago, heart beating too fast and problems breathing, does that mean i have a heart problem?