Has Hollywood's agenda ever been more apparent?

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's becoming pretty clear that Hollywood has an agenda that it's forcing on the general public. I saw that "I Love You, Man" movie yesterday with some friends. There were a few funny parts, but it was mostly just offensive how emasculating and manipulative the entire movie was. It opens with one guy, Paul Rudd, asking his girlfriend to marry him. He is the typical chump, who is socially awkward and lacking in confidence and who by the way would never get women real life. He doesn't understand the mechanics of male friendships and has never really had any dude friends, which leaves him without a best man or groomsmen for his wedding. So, he goes on a series of man-dates in an effort to make some guy friends.

The "dating scenes" were so awkward and emasculating that it was sickening. I almost got up and left during a couple of them, and I never have walked out of a movie - once I pay my $7.50, I'm there for the long haul. People were cackling and cracking up in the theater, while me and some older marine-looking guy sitting in front of me were appalled by what we were watching. It's just frustrating that society as a whole thinks crap like this is funny, and that a niche exists for a movie like this.

Paul Rudd meets a guy - Jason Segel - whom he "hits it off" with. Segel is the typical bachelor who has a cool house with a lot of cool man toys in it, like flat screen TVs and guitars. He sleeps with a lot of random women and talks openly about his masturbation habits. Segel begins rubbing off on Rudd, and the bromance forms. :rolleyes:

Predictably, the movie (which was way too damn long for a comedy by the way) heads down a typical path. After a fight with his new best friend, Segel has an epiphany that he needs to grow up and become a little bit more like Rudd, who acts his age and is ultimately portrayed as the emotionally mature one. It ends with Rudd getting married to the girl of his dreams, and Segel having a revelation that he needs to become more like Rudd.

Sorry if I ruined the movie for you, but I think I might have done you a favor by doing so.

Admittedly, I laughed a few times during the movie - Rudd and Segel were pretty good in it, and any flick that can poke fun at the band Rush will get a couple of laughs out of me. But, I can't help but feel like the underlying theme of the entire movie was that it's acceptable and ultimately correct to be like Rudd, who is an emasculated faggot of a dude, and that everyone is a little bit gay deep down inside, and that gays are like us, and that we should all vote against Proposition 8.

I normally don't rant about stuff like this, but there really wasn't a soap box tall enough for me after I was done watching this movie. With movies like this crap and "Made of Honor" and "Milk", it's hard for me not to be suspicious of Hollywood's motives. It just seems like a gay agenda is being forced down people's throats. Why did Sean Penn win the best actor Oscar over Mickey Rourke? Because the Academy is froofy and sympathetic to gays and willing to use any opportunity to force their viewpoints upon the mass public. I saw The Wrestler - it instantly became one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't know how Rourke couldn't have won best actor for it, especially when he won the Golden Globe for his performance. Well, yeah I do, I just answered that question. :rolleyes:

I don't want to give the impression that I'm homophobic. I have a few friends who are gay and am generally accepting of them, provided they keep their relationships to themselves and respect the fact that I'm not gay. But, I really don't like it when a mass medium of any sort is trying to force its viewpoints on the general public in a manipulative and deceitful fashion.

Hollywood really, really pisses me off. Men who act like women are the norm, and the chump pvssy dude always gets the girl in the end. You have to wonder at some point if someone is playing puppet master. :trouble:

It's gotten so I really can't even watch movies anymore.

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am going to write an LMS psychotic response to this because its a slow sunday afternoon and I had a few beers:

The homo invasion is already here!!! There is nothing you can do about it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7K-hC338ys

Soon there will be legions of homo gestapo nazi's (all in leather) walking door to door and arresting men who won't accept being fvcked in the ass!! THE END IS NEAR!!

On a more serious note, Hollywood is creating more garbage every day, I rather stick to old school movies and video games. And you wonder why people stop going to the movies.....

edit: although the new wolverine trailer looks cool!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6H7t1wXZI

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Daddy The Pimp said:
Movies , Reality shows and other medias have been doing it for a long time. Inspiring AFC's. Thats why most of the guys now are pvssies.
I agree. The nice guy/beta male always ends up with the girl of his dreams happily ever after with some romantic bull**** in between.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watch movies for entertainment.

I liked "I Love You, Man."

Money rules Hollywood.

Quit making things so complicated.

Daddy The Pimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Paintballguy said:
I agree. The nice guy/beta male always ends up with the girl of his dreams happily ever after with some romantic bull**** in between.
Yes. They act like pvssies and then get the girl of their dreams. Which thing is not true in real life . And then , most of the guys ,model themselves after a movie character and wonder why their life is fvcked up.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
perhaps its because the creators of movies -- the directors producers scriptwriters-- are afc's themselves.

Hughman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
piranha45 said:
perhaps its because the creators of movies -- the directors producers scriptwriters-- are afc's themselves.
That, may just, make sense!

They think that they score chocks by being AFC, but they only manage it because of their wealth and the awe of the 'glamorous' industry they are in.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
Well there's two ways of looking at it. Either they are trying to sabotage men by telling them being an AFC will get you the girl or they are trying to influence the viewers in general and women in particular that AFCs are desirable. I'd be inclined to think the latter is more likely as women are generally more suggestible. Either way, it depends on the viewer's interpretation. I blame what the audience does with what they see as much as I blame Hollywood for what they produce.

MikeYikes, this was an interesting movie synopsis and I think there is a homo agenda and other agendas being pushed, but I don't see this movie as being a good example of a homo agenda. To be honest, I can't see any clear agenda in this movie summary. The guy is straight and AFC, and while he has a GF he needs to be more like the "DJ" character. That's how I read your review of the movie anyway. So I don't see a clear agenda, just a movie playing on the general public's attitudes and prejudices or mores or whatever.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeYikes122 said:
Hollywood really, really pisses me off. Men who act like women are the norm, and the chump pvssy dude always gets the girl in the end. You have to wonder at some point if someone is playing puppet master. :trouble:

It's gotten so I really can't even watch movies anymore.
You hit the nail on the head Mike. I'm determined to get into movies in a few years producing or directing and start cranking out good movies again, but in the meantime, don't pay to encourage this crap.

They definitely have an agenda, and they're trying to shove it down the public's throats. But we're not buying.

Just wait a few more years. I'll turn it around...

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ketostix said:
Well there's two ways of looking at it. Either they are trying to sabotage men by telling them being an AFC will get you the girl or they are trying to influence the viewers in general and women in particular that AFCs are desirable. I'd be inclined to think the latter is more likely as women are generally more suggestible. Either way, it depends on the viewer's interpretation. I blame what the audience does with what they see as much as I blame Hollywood for what they produce.

MikeYikes, this was an interesting movie synopsis and I think there is a homo agenda and other agendas being pushed, but I don't see this movie as being a good example of a homo agenda. To be honest, I can't see any clear agenda in this movie summary. The guy is straight and AFC, and while he has a GF he needs to be more like the "DJ" character. That's how I read your review of the movie anyway. So I don't see a clear agenda, just a movie playing on the general public's attitudes and prejudices or mores or whatever.
I don't believe in any conspiracy theories at all. However, this is somewhat of an exception because I think Hollywood is filled with the types of people who are very overly-idealistic and self-important, like Sean Penn or somebody like that. It's these kinds of people who have an axe to grind and who probably wouldn't hesitate to use a movie or movies as a vehicle for their viewpoints.

I agree that money is the thing on their minds first and foremost. But there is no way you can convince me that these people in Hollywood aren't at least cognizant of the fact that what they're putting out there might be influencing people in some way. A guy like Sean Penn is so idealistic and nuts that he is going to do whatever he can to get his viewpoints accepted among society. The viewpoint du jour just happens to be homosexual acceptance.

As for that "I Love You, Man" movie, you'd have to see it. I might be making some pretty broad connections - all this has been on my mind since Penn got the Oscar over Mickey Rourke. I guess there were just so many gay innuendo jokes in that movie that it was tough to watch.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know how I know you're gay?

Because you think Hollywood is pushing an "agenda".

Okay, enough of the Judd Apatow humor.

Seriously though, give it up with the "agenda" talk. Hollywood cranks out movies and t.v. shows to make money. Businesses write t.v. commercials and design billboards and magazine ads to make money. They produce products that are only consumed by an audience who is WILLING to part with their hard earned money.

As soon as they begin producing something that the public doesn't want, the darwinian principles that apply to business will effectively weed them out from the movie making gene pool. Is this THAT hard to understand?

I know this way of thinking stems from a general distrust of The Almighty Machine, but it smacks of a Victimhood Mentality as well.

You aren't a VICTIM of the media forcing sh!t down your throat. If anything, you are a victim of the society in which you live. And even then, you are only as much of a victim as you allow yourself to be.

I'll be the first to point out the backasswardness of the feminist agenda and how it is nothing but a scourge to society, but I will never, ever, EVER start pointing fingers at women (or men for that matter) for forcing their agenda on me via the media despite the fact that it is everywhere you turn. I know that it is simply a function of supply and demand. There is a demand for it in our culture, so moviemakers and ad execs will keep throwing it at us by the shovelful.

If you don't believe me, go out there and make a movie that makes fun of women. You won't be grossing $44,000,000 in just over two weeks, I will guarantfreakintee you.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

TheBucketOfTruth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The movie isn't pushing a "gay agenda" at all. If anything, it highlights how awkward platonic male interaction among strangers can be in our homophobic society. I can see why you might view the movie the way you do, though, because it's very formulaic. What makes part of it funny is that it takes all the movie clichés of a man/woman relationship but applies them to a platonic friendship. What exactly is gay about it other than the token homosexual characters?

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeYikes122 said:
I don't believe in any conspiracy theories at all. However, this is somewhat of an exception because I think Hollywood is filled with the types of people who are very overly-idealistic and self-important, like Sean Penn or somebody like that. It's these kinds of people who have an axe to grind and who probably wouldn't hesitate to use a movie or movies as a vehicle for their viewpoints.
Exactly. It's not some shadow-government conspiracy of plotting evil doers. Rather, the movies reflect the values and culture of those who create them.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard a review on "I love you, man" on NPR a few weeks back. They brought up the point that a majority if not all Apatow movies focus on people who are dysfunctional in some sort of way and through the course of the events learn to overcome their dysfunctions and grow. There has always been some sense of alienation in his works. Remember "Freaks and Geeks"? He writes those films because its part of him. Those themes probably mirror his wife quite well.

You're only seeing a gay agenda because you are looking for one.

And so what if they're putting out films like Milk or Brokeback Mountain. I don't think either of those movie inspired any straight guy watching it to turn gay. If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you want to change something, take Darth's idea and start cranking out movies that you feel should be made. That's why they're called artists. Sean Penn chose Milk as an artistic vehicle to express his belief in gay rights. Mickey Rourke chose The Wrestler as a statement about washed up performers. They both look like brilliant films and I will see both of them at some point or another.

I'm not worried about some evil agenda turning the world into pvssys, because it's all in your head. For example, has the Grand Theft Auto game franchise turned you into a cold blooded hooker killer?

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I heard the Jews (Hollywood) are doing this to destroy the white race.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh no~ :(

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
MikeYikes122 said:

I agree that money is the thing on their minds first and foremost. But there is no way you can convince me that these people in Hollywood aren't at least cognizant of the fact that what they're putting out there might be influencing people in some way. A guy like Sean Penn is so idealistic and nuts that he is going to do whatever he can to get his viewpoints accepted among society. The viewpoint du jour just happens to be homosexual acceptance.

As for that "I Love You, Man" movie, you'd have to see it. I might be making some pretty broad connections - all this has been on my mind since Penn got the Oscar over Mickey Rourke. I guess there were just so many gay innuendo jokes in that movie that it was tough to watch.
I actually believe in conspiracies. People conspire all the freaking time. Group think is a very universal and common phenomena. The difference between you and me and say LMS is we don't see a conspiracy in everything without good proof. We need hard evidence, and we don't read a bunch of baloney telling us where conspiracies are like say a LMS.

The fact is creditable sources have said Hollywood for example has an agenda. Pres. Ronald Reagan was an actor and thoroughly believed there were communist in Hollywood going back I'm going to say prior to the 50's. Also Hollywood is in fact dominated by Jews and has been for sometime for whatever that's worth.

I also believe people push agendas. Even average people push agendas all the time, let alone what people do when they have a medium. The cable news/entertainment is a good example. They are trying to make money AND push an agenda. A lot of times the agenda is nothing more than propaganda that would help them make more money.

I also don't believe people do things just to make money. I don't believe people make money just for the sake of making money. Money, power and control go hand-in-hand.

Having said all that, based on reading your review of the movie, I didn't see a clear agenda let alone a homo one. And you're right I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really say if I would see an agenda or not. I still stand behind what I said about the interpretation is up to the viewer and what the audience do with media they are presented is as much their personal responsibility as the people producing it.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Darth said:
You hit the nail on the head Mike. I'm determined to get into movies in a few years producing or directing and start cranking out good movies again, but in the meantime, don't pay to encourage this crap.

They definitely have an agenda, and they're trying to shove it down the public's throats. But we're not buying.

Just wait a few more years. I'll turn it around...
Hah, good luck man. I looked into doing this a while back, and I even talked to a few screenwriters who were active in the business. Apparently, everyone enters that line of working thinking they're going to change movies altogether, only to get to California and find out that things are the way they are because they make a lot of people a lot of money. Numerous posters on this thread have already made this point.

I don't mean to discourage you, though. If it's what you want to do, then by all means look into it and make the right contacts.

I know how you feel. It just seems like Hollywood can't produce an original idea anymore. Every movie is either a rehashing of something that is older and probably better done, or it's based on a comic book or something like that. But, I think it's that way not because people lack creativity, but because these are things that sell well and traditionally have done very well at the box office.

The comedies that come out now aren't all that good. I haven't gone to a movie and laughed my ass off in a real long time. I really can't figure out what people see in Will Ferrell movies or most of Apatow's collection. There aren't usually many jokes. It's just a guy acting goofy or white people acting awkward around each other. I usually laugh a little bit, but overall I just don't get the humor. :confused:

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poonani Maker said:
I heard the Jews (Hollywood) are doing this to destroy the white race.
Every Jew I've ever met was white. So you think the are trying to commit suicide?

:confused: :eek: