hardening up before getting serious

cockydude

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, basically i am looking for a workout that will prep my body and nervous system to get into heavier weights and bulking over the course of a couple months or so. A little about me first though:

I am 6'2" about 160 lbs, 31 years old, and for a long time (about 10 yrs) i have had IBS that has consistently cramped (literally) my lifestyle and made eating enough difficult (due to lack of appetite), so i am finally throwing down the gauntlet and deciding to make a lifestyle change. I havent worked out in any serious way for a good 8-9 years, so i would at this point be pretty much a total newbie. So to start, i am going to be making some diet changes, eating better, and hitting the weights 3 times a week. Any suggestions for where to start? Remember, what i am looking for is a good total-body workout that will up my general fitness level and help get my biological systems (ie. digestive and nervous) healthy again and get into a state where the bigger meals and harder workouts will be possible. I wanna make what i have hard and fit before taking that next step. Advice please :)

cd

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I never really understood the need to "get your body ready" to lift weights. Isn't the whole point of lifting to FORCE your body to adapt?

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wannabebigforums.com has some good stuff on it. It's more geared towards body building/weight lifting than this site, and there are a lot of guys/girls there that know their stuff.

Bodybuilding.com also has some good articles about getting into weight lifting, so some research might be in order.

eminence

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
start out slow, if your rush into things you will fail. The first 2 - 5 weeks you'll most likely just quit again if you try to jump right into it. Start out by doing cardio, jog every day...try to run further each time. Do this for about 2 weeks, along with a healthy diet, and then slowly start lifting.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
I never really understood the need to "get your body ready" to lift weights.

You've never heard of warming up?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't get grumpy...He's a newbie, he even said so in his post.

My advice, take it or leave it:
1) Some dude mentioned doing cardio every day....Do it, start jogging and get your body/mind into a healthy routine. Aim for a 10 - 15 minute jog.

2) Stretch. Spend 10 - 15 minutes (i do 30 minutes) a day stretching and loosening up muscles. Do it right before & right after your jog.

3) Bodyweight exercises. Start doing some pushups and situps, chinups if you can, and use those dumbbells if you have em. Sure it won't put on much muscle, but with a basic routine of jogging, pushups and situps, chinups and bicep curls for afew weeks it'll really help, especially coming off 9 years of no exercise. It also gets discipline going, to do something health related every day, something you'll need heaps of if you intend to start lifting.

4) I know you didn't mention this, but don't forget your diet, you know the deal...plenty of water, veggies, and protein.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
You've never heard of warming up?

Of course I've heard of warming up. Warming up is totally different than what I gather hes talking about.

****ydude said:
Hey guys, basically i am looking for a workout that will prep my body and nervous system to get into heavier weights and bulking over the course of a couple months or so. A little about me first though:

People are always looking for a routine that gets them ready to lift heavy weights. It's as if they think that lifting heavy to begin with is going to screw them over. I feel if your form is good, go ahead and pack on the iron baby. Warmups are NEEDED of course, but I dont feel that you really need an "acclimation period" in lifting.