Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Gym isn't helping me

Phoenix09

Reaction score
Im 16 years old and I go to the YMCA 1-3 times per week. I've been going there for about a month and have seen some muscle growth at times but that quickly goes away in a few days. Im pretty skinny and I have a really fast metabolism, is this affecting my bodies ability to retain muscle? What can I do to bulk up?

semperfkemall

Don Juan
Reaction score
If it goes away after a few days its either muscle swelling from the workout, or imagination. Real muscle growth doesnt shrink after a few days. nor does it grow after a few days.

Hadow Khan

Don Juan
Reaction score
It is because you don't know ****.

Let me introduce you to my man the basics.

1. Do squats, deadlifts, chin ups, rows, millitary press, bench press and preacher curl.

2. You've got to add more weight or more reps or more sets. Period. You're not going to get bigger if you do not lift heavier weights.

3. You've got to eat. This means eating a big mother****er breakfast, drinking a shake with oats, protein, milk and olive oil for brunch, eating a big lunch, another shake as a snack, a big dinner, and then a bunch of food before bed. No bull**** food. You have to eat man food, the less processed, the better. Drink a gallon of milk a day. You need to go buy a 5 lb tub of protein powder and eat it all within 2 weeks. Buy some cytogainer, and wake up in the middle of the night and drink some of it.

4. Get 8 hours of sleep.

5. Wait. Its going to take time before you see real change.

Lust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phoenix09 said:
Im 16 years old and I go to the YMCA 1-3 times per week. I've been going there for about a month and have seen some muscle growth at times but that quickly goes away in a few days. Im pretty skinny and I have a really fast metabolism, is this affecting my bodies ability to retain muscle? What can I do to bulk up?

You can't just expect working out to help you bulk up.

You need to pay close attention to your diet too.

I've been working out since elementry school, i was seen as really buff for my age at school, but that was very gradual. I had only seen some major improvements in the last few months when i started paying attention to my diet.

Also, you can't just go to the gym, you need to f*cking work your ass off. Really push it.

Ratisson

Don Juan
Reaction score
guy, calm down u've only been going to the gym for a month and ur expecting to look like a guy on the cover of men's health magazine. U say in ur post that u are very skinny, so getting to ur ideal body shape is going to take a long, long time, maybe a couple years. Ur expecting too much from just a months workout.
I think what u should do is go out and buy one of those protein shakes mixes. And make sure u buy the weight gainer one. U should then drink those about 3 times a day and continue doing ur workouts. Make an appointment with a personal trainer at ur club so he can get u on a bulking program and show u proper techniques for all the exercises. Just keep at it and u'll get bigger, u cant expect much after only a month of working out.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
id stay away from the weight gainer. i remember in late august being 6'0 140lbs chugging down 2 digusting 1200 cal shakes/day. why? "youre too skinny, youre metabolism is too fast, dont waste your time, you dont have the genetics"

i got nothing but a flabby gut. then i bought a blender and made my own weight gainer - peanut butter, whey, cottage cheese, raw eggs, yogurt, protein powder, oatmeal. gut smaller, everywhere else bigger. i actually had some of my best gains when i ate LESS and slept more.

you dont need anything fancy. i just ate an absurd amount of food mentioned here (tho no milk), and my routine consists of 6 exercises, seriously, thats it.

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6headslewis, so did you not drink much milk during your meals and did you put milk in your protein shakes or did you just use water?

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
screw weightgainers. learn how to eat enough real food. use shakes as a supplement pre- and or post-workout, and breakfast if you can't be bothered to make a real one.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im lactose intolerant, and didnt drink any milk. when i factored in the lactaid pills it was just too expensive, and even then i still got bloating and gas. warboss alex who knows much more about nutrition than i do is also no fan of milk.

i just used water in the shakes, and not much of it, theyre pretty thick. i drink a gallon of water/day already and hate pissing so much, the less liquid aside from that gallon the better.

what do you put in your shakes? i use only 50% whey powder, the other 50% comes from cottage cheese, yogurt, raw eggs, peanut butter, oatmeal and sometimes fruits.

ryan, i noticed in your other thread youre gaining weight but mostly fat. how have your workouts been going? did you follow the one I wrote out for you? are you raising the weights each workout and maintaing proper form?

you need to keep your expectations realistic. i didnt feel any bigger until about 30 pounds in. i only rteally felt bigger when i got my deadliftss to 300+, from a start of 135. at around this time back and traps started widening, which makes your shoulders look wider which is what really projects size and strength. at 350lbs i look respectable without any pump.

you also need to ask yourself why you are doing this. if youre a ntrually sociable, outgoing guy with a great socail life and lots og firls, then examine if its even worth it. i only do this because it matches my character - reclusive, unkempt, ugly 'punching bag' face, restless, territorial and competitive around other males.

to get great results quickjly, you need to be disciplined. eating heavily at regular intervals, sleeping the same, dedicating lots of time to researching how to improve workouts, keeping logs of your progress, researching and taking supplements, etc. its not easy to do this if youre out partying all the time. this has been #1 priority in my life.

keep me updated.

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6headslewis first of all, I didn't know they made 50% whey, I have 100% whey. But, the workouts are going well. I'm working on things and I think I have pretty good form on them.

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6heads, another thing. I'm not sure if I am following your workout to a tee, but I am doing the Rippetoe workout of bench, squats and deads 3 days a week and switch it up with military presses the next workout and other things. I do also do some bicep curls, 6 reps 2 sets just because I think I need a tiny bit of bicep work. I am done with the workout in about just 40 mins though, but I think it's fine the faster the workout is over, the better.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no i meant using 100% whey powder to cover 50% of the total protein in the shake.

i used 60-100gs of protein powder (3-5 scoops for most containers), then about 50-60 grams of protein from the other sources.

you dont need bicep work, you just started replace it with chinups palms facing you or rows if youre not doing them. i didnt do a single curl until i gained 40lbs, and even then only 1 burnout set to conclude the workout. trust me man dont bother ESPECIALLY during winter right now you need all the mass you can get, curls wont do that for you.

you dont need to get out as fast as possible. take your time between sets, 3-5 minutes. make sure youre warming up properly, 30lb jumps for a few reps every minute or two until you get to your work sets. ie barx10, 80x5, 110x2, 140x1, 170x1, with a 200lb squat work set. some people warm up even more than that, especially for deadlifts.

you either are following the workout or youre not theres no 'not sure' lol im not offended, rippetoe is great i did it too but palteaud quickly, and had my best gains rotating squats or deads every workout, and doing more 20rep squats than just 3x5.

make sure your adding weight each workout.