Guy tried to start a fight with me outside of a football game, did I handle it right?

-=Ice-T=-

Don Juan
Reaction score
So I was leaving my university's football game yesterday and I saw this group of people outside smoking cigarettes. There were 2 girls and 3 guys. I asked one of the guys for a cigarette and he gave it to me. I thanked him and started walking away.

As I was walking away, one of his guy friends started talking **** about me. So I gave him the finger while I was walking away. He then runs up to me and pushes me. I was contemplating fighting back and taking a swing at him, but I was all alone and he had 2 of his boys with him and knew it wasn't going to be a good idea. I kept telling him I didn't want any touble and eventually he backed off while calling me a *****.

Did I handle the situation right? I mean what could I have done if he had 2 of his guy friends with him. I know it could have been much worse and that I probably handled the situation right, but I still feel like **** and my pride hurts. What would you guys have done in that situation?

CactusMcDougal

Don Juan
Reaction score
Being the type to put my own life before others, I would definitely say you did the right thing. A 3:1 fight does not equal odds in your favour. Other than giving them "the Finger," you handled it in a very mature manner. That's takes a Man to pull off.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO, you handled it totally WRONG.

1. If you are over 14, don't give the finger, unless you're joking with your friends.

2. Don't give the finger to someone you are scared of fighting with. Be responsible for your own actions.

3. He didn't back off, since he called you a pùssy. Don't turn it around, you were the one who backed off.

If you were mature, you would have gone back, given the cigarettes back to that guy with a dollar and said something along the lines of "Are you guys that cheap? I'll give you back your cigarette and something to buy a cookie with".

BigOlePappy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Adone said:
IMO, you handled it totally WRONG.

1. If you are over 14, don't give the finger, unless you're joking with your friends.

2. Don't give the finger to someone you are scared of fighting with. Be responsible for your own actions.

3. He didn't back off, since he called you a pùssy. Don't turn it around, you were the one who backed off.

If you were mature, you would have gone back, given the cigarettes back to that guy with a dollar and said something along the lines of "Are you guys that cheap? I'll give you back your cigarette and something to buy a cookie with".
I disagree. I think you handled it well.
Rolling your eyes, sighing, subtly shaking your head makes it seem like they are just miscreants wasting your precious time and you feel sorry for them.

It will hurt them.

Plus, getting jumped is not fun. Do whatever you can not to get jumped = best advice ever.

You will never see that guy again. Who cares?

BigOlePappy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, think about it this way... who was the real Alpha Male here?

Was is the guy trying to fight you? Why did he want to fight you? He had to reason to talk smack or quarrel with you other than one thing...

VALIDATION

He wanted to look cool in front of his little loser circle of friends.

Not something an Alpha male, Gentleman, PUA, DJ or whatever would would do.

syemour

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you gave him the finger, that is a sign of disrespect, and you should be prepared for the consequences that follow. if your not, then do not give him, or anyone that matter, the finger.

now when you initially heard the other guy talkn ****, he disrespected you, giving you the green light to do anything you want. you should have found a brick and smashed him in the mouth with it.

i see this so much when i go out. some dude will give me the finger, and then when i confront him he doesnt want to do ****. like this whole thing is just a game with no consequences.

every choice you make has a consequence. what are you prepared to deal with as a result?

Themanthatcan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Me? 3:1?.... I like those odds.But I'm a martial artist.It's in my nature.Don't give the finger.When he was talking crap you shoulda just turned around,shot a ****y smile w/ an eye brow raised then kept walking.

cyp6

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
tom cruise attitude.
"HEY", "hey what ur name?". "tim, I dont fight, (raise eyebrow)" and then stare at him till he leaves. or says some thing else. if he says some thing eles simply "TIM" like your 20 years older than him.. :) know what im saying? one of my buddies used to do all the time...

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Easiest way out of that situation is to by your own fvcking smokes.

Don't give a guy the finger unless you're in the third fvckin' grade and if you do and he does what this guy did you smash his fvcking nose in front of his boys. Blood squirts out, he freaks out then you can concentrate on the other two if they have the sac.

Or they beat the dairheah out of you because you flipped them off and you learn a lesson.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One time this same sort of thing happened to my best friend. It was in class at a brand new high school and he didn't know anybody. Anyways, some kid sitting behind him starts doggin him and my friend tries to ignore it at first. The other kid keeps laying into him and finally my friend stands up and in a very loud voice (right in the middle of class mind you, the guy was trying to act tough for his friends and all the chicks in the class), my friend goes, "Look buddy, I don't know what you're problem is. Maybe you're just trying to look cool in front of your friends, maybe your new like me and want to create a name for yourself. Yeah, thats it, you wanted to create a scene on the first day of school. Well, congratulations you've done it! Everybody give this a.sshole a big hand! *claps his hands a few times* Now, do everyone a favor, sit down and shut the f.uck up!" The kid was stunned for like the next 5 minutes and the teacher just went on with class. He finally breaks out of his stupor and thing my friend knows, the kid gets up and sucker punches my friend in the back of the head knocking my friend off the stool he was sitting on *it was in a science lab or something*. My friend proceeds to get up and beat the everloving s.hit out of the guy in like 3 or 4 punches, before anybody had the chance to do anything.

So I guess he didn't avoid the fight, but damn it, it was awesome and I thought you might enjoy the story!

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigOlePappy
Rolling your eyes, sighing, subtly shaking your head
what are you, a girl?

Macca

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had a situation where this chump suddenly went for me out of the blue. That a$$hole was shouting for me to give him a hand with equipment at private event at a pub/club - he was with some people I knew. It was the end of the night and I was pretty drunk, this cvnt was drunk too plus he was driving. Anyway, he shouted for me to give him a hand again, so I started clapping! The tw@t dropped what he had in his hand and ran up to me screaming "you want a fight" and took a swing at me, then kicked. His punch missed but the kick didn't, but it took this 90 year woman to hold him back. I initially though he was joking so I just stood there when he ranup to me. He then jumped in his car and drove off!

Now this guy has a reputation for being a fruitcake i.e. he's put all his girlfriends in hospital etc. Now I'm real pi$$ed off that I didn't do anything, I sometimes think that I should wait for him one night (as his events are published on the net) and cane the b@stard with a cricket bat! I hate people like this and believe that they should be taught a lesson!

...but then again common sense kicks in an I think "just forget it, he'll meet his match one day"...fuking cvnt!

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shouldn't worry too much about it. You acted out of instinct. Learn to calm your emotions in times like this. We've all had times where we have had to "back down" or at least ignore a situation in some form or another. A year ago, I got in some sh*t with a crazy black guy in the stadium. He was huge and totally a druggie, and I chose NOT to fight him despite him wanting to fight.

I ignored it simply because it was not worth it.

In your situation, if you were already walking away, you probably didn't need to retaliate over some chode talking behind your back. If you were in his direct presence at the time and he started doing it, you could have quickly responded by asking what the issue is. Of course, it it escalated into fighting, you should be able to quickly take him.

If you took him good, maybe with some clean punches or a takedown, it's doubtful his friends would have any balls to even mess with you.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I personally don't really believe in fighting over an insult. The country was built on freedom of speech, after all.

But I may just be old-fashioned.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Look it's simple,fighting is for people who aren't smart enough to use their heads. There are times to fight,ie loved ones in danger,you get jumped and so on,but those are extreme times.

If someone isn't brave enough to talk smack to your face,DON'T EVEN GIVE THEM THE TIME OF DAY! Simple it ain't worth it. Think about it,he talks smack,you ignore it and keep going on your way. NOTHING HAPPENS! Instead he talks smack,you flip him off,and were almost involved in a scuffle. Life's full of lessons,hopefully you learned it.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Themanthatcan said:
Me? 3:1?.... I like those odds.But I'm a martial artist.It's in my nature.D
Oh whatever that nonsense of 1 versus many only works in the movies.

-=Ice-T=-

Don Juan
Reaction score
I did what I thought was the best thing to do.

Why are people such *******s nowadays?

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
-=Ice-T=- said:
I did what I thought was the best thing to do.

Why are people such *******s nowadays?

You are just seeing it from your point of view. From the other guy's point of view (and from most people's, if you ask me), you were a geek who gave him the finger in order to look cool, but backed up when threatened to a fight.
IMO, his reaction was much more mature than yours.

It's not the end of the world when you do something wrong, but don't try to make other people look like àssholes, when you were the one who started this all, ok?