Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

guitarslinger's nutrition tips for beginners

guitarslinger

Don Juan
Reaction score
As a nutrition student, I know a thing or two about nutrition. The following is a guide for those of you just getting into proper nutrition. I will make no mention of calorie counting, but yes, if you want to design a really good diet you need to count calories, there is no better way. These tips should get you on the right track and you should see some improvement in your physique within a couple of weeks if you follow them.

If it looks bad for you, it probably is bad for you
Fried chicken, pizza, kebabs, chocolate, sweets, donuts, if there is any question in your mind that the food you're looking at is not good for you, it's probably not. Your body is the most sosphisticated piece of machinery on the planet, and like all machines it needs fuel. You can put in premium or regular, your choice. As for me, I don't put s**t in my machine.

Protein
No surprises here, protein is the building block for muscles and takes the most energy to process into energy than carbs or fats. Try and incorporate at least two decent serves of protein into your diet every day. If you're having a sandwich for lunch, make it a meat sandwich and ask for double meat. Spaghetti bolognese? Add a bit more meat and have a bit less pasta. If you are serious about buiding muscle the protein component of your meals should be the biggest. Whey protein shakes are awesome straight after a workout, and then half an hour later. Cottage cheese is another really good source of protein just before bed as it breaks down overnight providing your body with goodness. My personal favourite is the small cans of tuna you can buy at the supermarket, they come in all different flavours now and a small can will give you about 13g of protein per can, good snack.

NB: Depending in your genetics, you can only absorb about 20-30g of protein per meal for muscle growth, the rest will be converted by your body for energy/fat. This is why it is important to eat many small serves throughout the day rather than 5kgs of chicken at night.

Carbohydrates
There has been a lot of talk recently about low carb diets for fat loss, and yes they do work for some people, but they will leave you feeling tired and irritable. This is because carbs are our main source of energy. You need these, not as much as protein for muscle growth, but carbs are much easier for your body to break down for the energy you need to function. Complex carbs break down slower than simple carbs due to their mollecular structure, and are generally the better choice as they break down more slowly, providing you with energy for longer. Simple rule of thumb, brown is better than white. Brown rice is better than white rice, brown bread is better than white bread. Change from eating white to brown and you will find you have a more consistent energy level. Carbs are also more easily stored as fat, so try not to eat too much after about 3pm, keep your carbs low in your dinner, or they wil be stored as fat when you go to bed. A good example is this, you eat a whole bunch of pasta then go for a run, you have the energy you need. You eat a whole bunch of pasta then go to bed, your body has a lot of energy but nothing to do with it, it gets stored for later, and as another downside it lessens your quality of sleep.

Fats
You need fats, fats are not bad, but they are the most easily stored as fat and are not required in big portions. Try to get most of your fats from fish sources, or flaxseed oil, as they contain omegas 3,6 & 9, these are the good ones. The bad ones are pretty much anything else. If you are going to eat fatty food (which I hope you aren't), grab a serviette a press it on your pizza, chicken, whatever, and soak off the exterior fat and grease, this will help knock out about 30%. When eating takeaway meals in containers take your servings off the top and leave then bottom centimetre or so of food, this is where more of the fat will be.

Fruits & Vegetables
Next time you are at the supermarket pick up a load of fruits that you like. Fruit is good for you and tastes good too, it is natures candy. When you go to work or school take a couple of pieces with you for snacks. If you feel like a chocolate bar, have a piece of fruit. Grazing on fruit keeps your appetite in check and gives you energy that you need, as well as vitamins. I like vegetables a lot less than fruit, and the are generally less nutritionally valuable, but they do provide good fibre. Try and have a good serve of vegies with your dinner. Pick green ones if you can, they are the most fibrous.

Beverages
Water is the key to all life, and water is what you should be drinking. No sports drink filled with sugery s**t is better for you than water. Try and drink 10 glasses a day, and keep a big bottle next to you when you go to bed. If your body is dehydrated even 2 or 3% your metabolism can be affected up to even 30% in some people. Water is cheap, it is good for you, drink it. DO NOT drink soda. Soda is full of sugar, sugar makes you fat and weak with bad teeth. Also worthy of a mention here is green tea. Green tea has a lot of beneficial antioxidants, and also has some fat burning properties, I try to drink a couple of cups a day. Remember how healthy the old asian guys in martial arts films look?, that's because they're always drinking green tea.

Multivitamins
More of a supplement than a food, but worthy of note here. Go to your local health food shop and get the best multivitamin you can afford. The vitamin content of food since industrialized farming has dropped significantly, so one of these a day will fill in the gaps that you may still have in your diet.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guitarslinger said:
Protein
NB: Depending in your genetics, you can only absorb about 20-30g of protein per meal for muscle growth, the rest will be converted by your body for energy/fat.
Ugh.

Carbohydrates
but they will leave you feeling tired and irritable. This is because carbs are our main source of energy.
This is because you need to switch your metabolism from carb-burning to fat-burning. This means you have to undergo an adaptation phase, normally a few weeks very low-carb and in ketosis, until you are truly fat adapted.

Fats
The bad ones are pretty much anything else.
Do some independent research on fats. Or just read Anthony Colpo's stuff, as he's done all the research for you.

guitarslinger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, what would I know about nutrition anyways, I've only spent three years of my life studying it. These are general tips for BEGINNERS. By the way, adaptation phase is bull****, your body doesn't change its metabolic function because you eat badly. I'm not saying there aren't other approaches to nutrition/dieting that will work for you, just that incorporating some healthy habits can improve your health.

Peace Out

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Uh....adaptation phase isn't bull****. It's well documented that if you switch to a low-carb, high-fat diet, your body needs to up the concentration of enzymes needed to metablise fat over carbs.

About the 20-30g protein/meal thing. Tell that to Warboss Alex, (who is 240+lbs) and he will just scoff at you.

"Your body doesn't change metabolic function because you eat badly"

What does that mean exactly?

Don't get so fking touchy. I didn't say you didn't know anything about nutrition. But you'd benefit, like I did, from doing some independent research on fats.

Disconnect

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried low carb high fat to the letter, and it did nothing for me. But I have heard of many people who succeeded on such a plan. What I'd like to hear more about is this:

Protein
NB: Depending in your genetics, you can only absorb about 20-30g of protein per meal for muscle growth, the rest will be converted by your body for energy/fat.
Can you extrapolate on this? Perhaps post some studies?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your looking to gain mass Disconnect do yourself a favor and don't be concerned with that 20-30g absorption bs

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guitarslinger said:
NB: Depending in your genetics, you can only absorb about 20-30g of protein per meal for muscle growth, the rest will be converted by your body for energy/fat. This is why it is important to eat many small serves throughout the day rather than 5kgs of chicken at night.
Hmmmm, I seem to have double that amount in each meal, so why am I not a fatass?

guitarslinger

Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe the basic principle behind protein absorption for muscle is that the di-peptide and tri-peptide proteins (which are two or three amino acids chains) are absorbed in the small intestine to be converted into unlinked aminos that float around your blood to be easily used to repair muscle and cartilage, and as food only stays in the small intestine for a period of time that is about the about of protein it can convert to aminos in your bloodstream through your digestive system in one sitting is supposed to be about 30g.

That being said, I eat more than 30g of protein per meal, because I like meat. WBA apparantly eats 3 or 4 times that with good results. Whatever works for you. Although scientifically 30g is the number we are all taught at uni, what works for you individually and trial and error are what matters in the real world.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand how they come up with these magical numbers that apply to everyone.

ie:

30 grams of protein per meal.
1 gallon of water per day.

etc.

Everyone is different. I think someone who is 6'4 and 320 lbs might have different protein absorption abilities and need a different amount of water than someone who is 5'2 and 110 lbs.

That's why ratios like "2x bodyweight in pounds in grams" are the only numbers I pay attention to now.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Because there doing studies on the average person that isn't looking to gain muscle mass.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bah dum CH