Groundhog's Day. Bill Murray is a Don Juan.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So it's February 2nd; Groundhog's day. I always try to make it a habit every year to watch this movie on Groundhog's day. I love it. A man who has been a snob and cynic all of his life unlearns so many things and ends up actually getting the girl without trying.

Ok, so it goes like this. The man Bill Murray played name was Phil. He was a local weather man in the big city. He was well to do and very popular. All of this gave him a swelled head and he treated people lower than him. Basically he was all that and a six pack in his mind. But there was that something in Phil that made Rita (Andie McDowell's character) attracted to him. He was already ****y and funny, but it was boderlined with vanity. THAT vanity eventually turned her off.

So Phil starts to relive everyday over and over. He finds many ways to cheat, steal and lie to perfection over the repeating days. He kills himself many times. It's fun. But like the day before, nothing changes for the better....not even inside him. Even though Phil is living in the same day over and over, he changes the way he lives. He starts to study things and help people. He even learns how to play the piano! Pretty soon, his good deeds and skills become effortless, because he has learned how to become a better person
than he was the day before. Each day he made an effort to change what was wrong inside of him. In the end, he gets the girl without even trying.

After watching this movie more than 100 times, on the 101st I finally figured out that it was never about the girl. It was about HIM making himself out to what HE wanted to be! I feel that once you know yourself truly, things become more clear in life. I think he realized that too.

I've been stuck in my Groundhog day for years. I'll repeat the same thing over and over until I finally decide that I need a change. Change dosen't just happen. It's a slow process. You can't force it. Positive change in yourself only happens with self realization. Find yourself and you'll change for the better.

At least that's my opinion.

Anyone else stuck in a Groundhog day? =D

ImmortalDragon

Don Juan
Reaction score
I love that movie, and yes I've been stuck for years but I haven't tried to change.

00Kevin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw that movie the other day on tv. I thought the same thing. Yes in the end he got the girl because he became who he wanted to be.

The problem was that she was very responsive to everything he did. She was always happy and easy going.

Most women are just not like her and they are very negative and depresive.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by 00Kevin
Most women are just not like her and they are very negative and depresive.
Maybe that's why he liked her so much?

And yeah, Groundhog Day is a fantastic movie. Really one of my favorite movies of all time. And to think, technically it could be classified as a *gulp* romantic comedy. :eek:

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bill Murray is a genius! the point to the movie is that Bill Murray tried being the sweet, nice guy but couldn't get her to bed. Even with the timewarp and he learning everything about her he couldn't get her to bed!

Then he started improving his life by learning to play the piano, helping people and many other things. He started doing what he wanted to do, he forgot about the girl. He became an exciting, dynamic guy full of life. The girl saw this and this is what attracted her.

You could say the DJ Bible and the ways of the DJ has that effect. Not just about getting girls, but improving your life, your confidence, your self steem.