Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Grey

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have grey hair almost going white on my sideburns and just above.

My hair is dark brown. My dad actually does this but he is black haired so it’s easy.

I don’t want to dye all my hair if possible.

how do I go about matching a shade, how often do I do it? Beard has flecks of grey. Is there a solution to this?

I don’t mind a regular regimen sorting this out, but it’s making me look older than I am.

I am taking after my mums side so no balding in early 40s but that side goes grey young. My mum was entirely grey at 45.

my other issue is laughter line. My mums side go wrinkly young but my wife has recommended surgery and treatments for this

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No play for Mr Gray:

If hair is graying and you don't want to dye it, cut it off. Shave and trim your hair short.

And unless you make a living with your looks, no guy needs a wrinkle removing surgery.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have grey hair almost going white on my sideburns and just above.
Lol, let me know when you have real problems.

Not trying to be insensitive, it's just that looking at this from a viewpoint of being much older, and having had my hair go gray long ago, it just seems funny. When you get to my age, a lot of people you've known are gone, and some now are fighting for their lives. Makes you think you're lucky to be alive. It's all about perspective. Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.

Slowhandluke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Not trying to be insensitive, it's just that looking at this from a viewpoint of being much older, and having had my hair go gray long ago, it just seems funny. When you get to my age, a lot of people you've known are gone, and some now are fighting for their lives. Makes you think you're lucky to be alive. It's all about perspective. Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.

I love my grey hair. A few years ago, my barber says that it was fashionable for younger people to dye their hair gray or for men to not color their hair at all. I also remember a time when having no facial hair was a trendy thing to do (10-15 years ago?)

At the end of the day, I think grey hair will be like beards. It will be fashionable because it does signify certain qualities (#1 of which is being confident in yourself that you don't care if you have grey hair, #2, you have lived a long life which means you didn't do anything stupid to hurt yourself --- basically good genes, etc.)

Looking back when shaving and having no facial hair was a thing... those people look like babies to me now and they look so unnatural. When I shave I feel so feminized. Imagine spending precious time, and brain power to get rid of grey hairs so that one can look younger. That time could better be spent somewhere else imho.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love my grey hair. A few years ago, my barber says that it was fashionable for younger people to dye their hair gray or for men to not color their hair at all. I also remember a time when having no facial hair was a trendy thing to do (10-15 years ago?)

At the end of the day, I think grey hair will be like beards. It will be fashionable because it does signify certain qualities (#1 of which is being confident in yourself that you don't care if you have grey hair, #2, you have lived a long life which means you didn't do anything stupid to hurt yourself --- basically good genes, etc.)
I've heard some say grey hair is a sign of bad genes, your body is no longer functioning correctly because it isn't pumping out the melanin anymore. Anyway, whatever. If I had my preferences, I would most certainly rather have my old dark hair back. But time had different plans for me, and I'm not the type to dye it.

As you say, leaving your hair grey can indicate a certain confidence. Some women will say that guys who dye their hair are insecure, or look fake. It's more masculine not to care about such things. But on the other hand, I've heard many guys here say that their prospects with women improved when they dyed their hair. It looks better and more natural on some guys than others. And there's a difference between covering up a little grey and dying your whole head and beard. Anyway, as I said, I'm not the type to dye it. This is the way I am, take me or leave me.

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm an old fart that still has a full head of hair, but I'm a bit farther up on the greyscale than you, so here are some things that have worked for me.

Hair - Straight up Justformen is a flat color dye that gives unnatural looking color making you look like a crackly ugly young guy, JFM has a product "Touchofgrey" that is weaker dye that just tones down the grey and looks a little more natural. Going to a salon for a pro dye job is a money waste considering your roots are gonna show in a couple weeks. The alternative is the short military cut which works.

Beard - There's dye for that, most doesn't look very natural and the upkeep is a b1tch cause the roots show within days. If you're dead set in facial hair and go that route expect to spend more time in front of the mirror. I just went clean shaved and it made me look younger anyway.

Face - There's exfoliating creams and surgical that can smooth out fine lines, but heavy laugh lines are there for good, that's your character. All I can do it quote a great philosopher

"Your wrinkles either show that you're nasty, cranky or senile, or that you're always smiling"
- Carlos Santana

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hair - Straight up Justformen is a flat color dye that gives unnatural looking color making you look like a crackly ugly young guy, JFM has a product "Touchofgrey" that is weaker dye that just tones down the grey and looks a little more natural. Going to a salon for a pro dye job is a money waste considering your roots are gonna show in a couple weeks. The alternative is the short military cut which works.

Beard - There's dye for that, most doesn't look very natural and the upkeep is a b1tch cause the roots show within days. If you're dead set in facial hair and go that route expect to spend more time in front of the mirror. I just went clean shaved and it made me look younger anyway.
Thanks for reminding me why I don't dye my hair. It's fine for women to dye their hair, they're expected to. I doubt that even half of the young women walking around are wearing their actual hair color.

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea it get's to be a drag, that's why I just use the weak dye sometimes, but for some, like me, my results fall into this category.

, I've heard many guys here say that their prospects with women improved when they dyed their hair.

Slowhandluke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As you say, leaving your hair grey can indicate a certain confidence. Some women will say that guys who dye their hair are insecure, or look fake. It's more masculine not to care about such things. But on the other hand, I've heard many guys here say that their prospects with women improved when they dyed their hair. It looks better and more natural on some guys than others. And there's a difference between covering up a little grey and dying your whole head and beard. Anyway, as I said, I'm not the type to dye it. This is the way I am, take me or leave me.
I agree. I remember I was one of the first persons in my social group to start having a beard/five o'clock shadow. MY girlfriend at the time would tell me to shave. That I didn't look good with it. Now a days, guys "look better" with one. At least a lot of women, tell me so. Things change. I guess some men do look better with dyed hair, but... I guess its just not my style. Fashion is whatever attractive people do or wear. Attractive people, especially men IMHO are confident people who shouldn't give a shiet about that sort of thing. Know your purpose in life, be successful at what you do, be social, be able to stand stand up for yourself (physically and mentally), etc... those are some of the things that are ultimately important. I don't need one more silly thing to worry about. That's just me though.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it depends on whether you look prematurely old when you go grey / white or whether the grey hairs add 'distinguished' to your 'gentleman'.

Dyeing hair is for women though. Women dye their hair mostly to look younger, but men don't have to appear younger.

Shave it off or get a buzzcut.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

OK grandad. Tell me again about when you fought the Nazis

9-3enthusiast

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a weird one - First a little back story....
When I was married, I put on a LOT of weight (comfort eating... basically had 'given up') - I'd also gone almost full grey.
Had a health scare, needed to lose weight.
(As part of the whole thing I also had a rethink of life in general, and got out of the long-dead marriage)
To lose weight, I avoided refined/processed sugars as much as was practically possible.
The weight dropped off - lost 95 pounds over a period of around 10 months, however.....
As a by-product, the grey gradually dissipated, to the point I was almost back to my original mouse-brown by the time I'd lost the weight I wanted....

Even my doctor couldn't explain it... BUT, the girl who regularly cuts my hair, told me she'd seen it a couple of times in guys who'd had a significant improvement in diet over an extended period.

It's starting to slowly come back now, especially around the temples and sides... but after all, I'm 60 now, and a full head of hair with no grey at all would now look suss on me, as if I was dyeing it.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IDAF. I don’t want to look old!

Early 40s is too young to be on the way to being a white haired old gentleman.

As for the wrinkles, it’s getting bad. Every time I smile my eyes look like they’re encased in foreskin.

there’s a difference between wanting to look good for positive reasons rather than being insecure about it.

Jor-El

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There are "grey bars" shampoo that dosent dye your hair as such,it just reactivates the pigment,so you get a natural look. When I first saw this,I thought,what a crock of crap,but I did buy one,and whaddya know,it does work, and its totally your existing colour....The downside is its not an instant thing,you have to use it daily over a few weeks but it does work. Its called Mane grey reverse bar

Hamurabimbi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IDAF. I don’t want to look old!

Early 40s is too young to be on the way to being a white haired old gentleman.

As for the wrinkles, it’s getting bad. Every time I smile my eyes look like they’re encased in foreskin.

there’s a difference between wanting to look good for positive reasons rather than being insecure about it.
Lots of medical, surgical & skincare solutions.

Slowhandluke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a weird one - First a little back story....
When I was married, I put on a LOT of weight (comfort eating... basically had 'given up') - I'd also gone almost full grey.
Had a health scare, needed to lose weight.
(As part of the whole thing I also had a rethink of life in general, and got out of the long-dead marriage)
To lose weight, I avoided refined/processed sugars as much as was practically possible.
The weight dropped off - lost 95 pounds over a period of around 10 months, however.....
As a by-product, the grey gradually dissipated, to the point I was almost back to my original mouse-brown by the time I'd lost the weight I wanted....

Even my doctor couldn't explain it... BUT, the girl who regularly cuts my hair, told me she'd seen it a couple of times in guys who'd had a significant improvement in diet over an extended period.

It's starting to slowly come back now, especially around the temples and sides... but after all, I'm 60 now, and a full head of hair with no grey at all would now look suss on me, as if I was dyeing it.

I've noticed this too... Not a lot, but a few of my grey hairs actually turned black when I started to eat better and exercise more (after my divorce a several years ago). I could tell because I would look at the grey hair, and then look at the roots. The roots were actually black. Kinda weird, but whatever...

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK grandad. Tell me again about when you fought the Nazis
I was expecting an "OK Boomer" out of that, but I have to admit I got a kick out of the line about the Nazis. Not quite that old. Those guys get called "the greatest generation" though, so I'll take the comparison.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. I remember I was one of the first persons in my social group to start having a beard/five o'clock shadow. MY girlfriend at the time would tell me to shave. That I didn't look good with it. Now a days, guys "look better" with one. At least a lot of women, tell me so. Things change.
Oh yeah, that scruffy look is by far the most appealing look to women, going by statistics. I wonder if that's just the current fad, or if women would have said the same thing like back in the '60s or whenever. I remember my high school girlfriend's dad telling me a guy should be clean shaven to have a more professional look.

You don't mention your age when you were the first person in your group to have the five o'clock shadow. Maybe you grow one better now? I notice my facial hair comes in a lot more fully now than it did when I was younger.

Slowhandluke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that scruffy look is by far the most appealing look to women, going by statistics. I wonder if that's just the current fad, or if women would have said the same thing like back in the '60s or whenever. I remember my high school girlfriend's dad telling me a guy should be clean shaven to have a more professional look.
Everything and anything that signals that a man is successful, sociable, healthy, etc... will be trendy. During the 90's (my highschool years), people who were successful, sociable, etc. (basically, had the qualities that women wanted) were clean shaven. Most good jobs required men to be clean shaven. It took work to be clean shaven. It was a mark of "superiority". However, as time moved on, being clean shaven was an easier task... it could be done by everyone. Also, almost all companies, even those that were not prestigious required people to shave. The razors became cheaper and more efficient (electric shaver, etc.). Shaving became less of a mark of success.

I still remember the consternation of the American public when they first saw US special forces wearing beards, having long hair, etc. during the 1st gulf war in order to mix in with the population. To be honest, I was shocked also. They were professional soldiers, they were suppose to be clean cut - what are they, hippies??? As these soldiers came home, ,most of these men decided to keep the beards, etc.. Then slowly, the beard and facial hair started to be mainstream. Those people who had good jobs, their companies allowed them to dress down (no more suits); some of the employees who were very important to companies... Well, those companies allowed these employees to have beards, etc... Then there was a switch. People who were extremely successful, who were important to their companies. A lot of these people had beards because they really didn't want to bother with shaving (perhaps they also liked the aesthetics?) and as they were really important to their companies, their companies allowed them to have facial hair. Beards started to become a marker for successful people. Those that shave or continued to shave, basically those people were not important enough to be allowed NOT to shave (block buster employee??? kmart employees, etc.), .

Anything can be trendy as long as it signals attributes that women what. Remember facial scars use to be a thing. It would still be a thing if the upper class, successful, social men continued to do it. But they don't so its not really a thing any more.

Remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dueling_scar

You don't mention your age when you were the first person in your group to have the five o'clock shadow. Maybe you grow one better now? I notice my facial hair comes in a lot more fully now than it did when I was younger.
I think I was around 38 when I stopped shaving every day or so. I'm 47 now. I do shave but probably once a week. I let it grow out for a week or so then I shave it all off; I'm lazy. It's awesome because my beard grows out in the same pattern as iron mans beard. I use to be conscious about how my beard grew out before the marvel movies. I still let it grow out because, hey, that's my natural beard. But now, it's like, man, not a lot of guys can have iron mans beard hahahahahahahaahha

At the end of the day, these markers are not important. A lot of times, how one carries oneself is a lot more important. If you are what women want, you will naturally give off those markers. Those dueling scars.. was it about getting the women? No, it was about how successful you are. You bravery, fraternity with other successful men, etc.. The first people who started those dueling scars, they weren't doing it for the women. They were doing it for themselves...