Grew up without a good male role model. Need help

AlphaNoob

Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was six or seven I came to the US and became separated from my father. Our phone calls eventually stopped and as a result, I did not have a good male role model growing up. There was not a man who I was able to emulate and learn from. I think this is the root of 90% of the problems in my life right now. I am socially retarded and awkward and generally do not know how to handle myself in a lot of situations that involve interpersonal relations. One of my greatest strengths is academics, but I still feel half as good as I can be without these other skills.

It became clear to me yesterday that I used a fvcken anime character as my role model - Sasuke from the anime Naruto. When I was younger I thought how cool this fictional character was. He had determination and just seemed like he knew how to handle himself in life even after the adversity he had faced. The young me wanted to become like him because of the parallels that I saw between our lives and because it seemed like he knew what he was doing. But beyond the facade, this fictional character was actually broken on the inside. He was asocial, selfish, and maybe even a sociopath. The reality is I have adopted a majority of his personality and it is holding me back in life.

An example of how this holds me back is how I interact with girls. When I was younger I ignored all the girls. Even the ones that I knew liked me because that is what the fictional character did. I did not have a good role model to learn from how to relate and interact with girls. Recently, I held back from this girl and tried to stay away from her even though I liked her a lot because I wanted to focus more on school and maybe because subconsciously I thought doing so would make her like me even more. But in reality, she did not know how I felt about her and simply just thought I wasn't interested. This is but a microcosm of all the events in my life that have been detrimentally affected by the lack of a good role model.

So my question is how can I find one? Is it someone that I would have to watch? Can I do this by learning over the internet? Can I do this by talking to someone over the phone? Is reversing this shlt even possible? I just want to know how to get my life back together.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Usually you will find good role models in a martial arts gym. Any good boxing gym will be full of alphas. Being around that will begin to rub off on you and you will make new friends who you can learn from.

If you don't want go down that route then I would suggest therapy.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
the problem is your idolizing sasuke from naruto when you should be idolizing vegeta from dbz lol

the second problem is you seem to think you need a role model to tell you what to do or teach you. you dont. this is the information age and you can educate yourself and act out your own desires. you kno where you are going wrong but in your mind you feel like if you ignore this chick she will come at your even harder and make it easy for you.

the thing is deep down you are afraid, your scared and you use this "ill ignore you before you ignore me" tactic. It doesnt work bro...very rarely will it and only if you have high status in some way.

Its time to take responsibility. It is obvious you have a mental grasp on whats going on with you. Do not be a beta and let other guide you. I never had a mentor or someone to lead me and I never wanted one because I lead myself, I decide for myself and I dont want anyone telling me what to do. Thats just me tho (hence the Vegeta reference)...thats literally who I idolized growing up. The underdog powerful prince of the saiyans who busts his ass for everything he has plus he is alpha as fuk with bulma. ok that was enough nerding for me today.

AlphaNate

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can repair the damage, but you have to accept that you cannot undo the damage.

Do you have a male family member you could talk to about this?

greatsnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. accept the reality of it
2. hang out with people that can influence you in the areas that you want to grow in

Reykhel

Banned
Reaction score
When I was six or seven I came to the US and became separated from my father. Our phone calls eventually stopped and as a result, I did not have a good male role model growing up. There was not a man who I was able to emulate and learn from. I think this is the root of 90% of the problems in my life right now. I am socially retarded and awkward and generally do not know how to handle myself in a lot of situations that involve interpersonal relations. One of my greatest strengths is academics, but I still feel half as good as I can be without these other skills.

It became clear to me yesterday that I used a fvcken anime character as my role model - Sasuke from the anime Naruto. When I was younger I thought how cool this fictional character was. He had determination and just seemed like he knew how to handle himself in life even after the adversity he had faced. The young me wanted to become like him because of the parallels that I saw between our lives and because it seemed like he knew what he was doing. But beyond the facade, this fictional character was actually broken on the inside. He was asocial, selfish, and maybe even a sociopath. The reality is I have adopted a majority of his personality and it is holding me back in life.

An example of how this holds me back is how I interact with girls. When I was younger I ignored all the girls. Even the ones that I knew liked me because that is what the fictional character did. I did not have a good role model to learn from how to relate and interact with girls. Recently, I held back from this girl and tried to stay away from her even though I liked her a lot because I wanted to focus more on school and maybe because subconsciously I thought doing so would make her like me even more. But in reality, she did not know how I felt about her and simply just thought I wasn't interested. This is but a microcosm of all the events in my life that have been detrimentally affected by the lack of a good role model.

So my question is how can I find one? Is it someone that I would have to watch? Can I do this by learning over the internet? Can I do this by talking to someone over the phone? Is reversing this shlt even possible? I just want to know how to get my life back together.
You are very aware of these issues and how they are affecting you. This is a good start.

Use that awareness to help you grow and learn:
Read: 10 pages every day.
Suggestions:
No More Mr Nice Guy ....it would be a good start, teach you about looking after you and setting boundaries.
The Way of Men
Iron John
King, Warrior, Magician, Lover,
The Way of the Superior Man
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Podcasts
make a thread and ask posters to suggest some podcasts, about masculinity etc
I don't know any current ones.

I 100% endorse what @switch7 said........find yourself a martial arts gym......dedicate yourself to mastering it. This alone will change your fvcking life.

Movies
Get yourself on a steady diet of watching good movies with a strong male lead role.....
again you could make a thread, although it's probably been done.........

As you develop your own masculinity you will start to recognize it in others. try to make friends/hang out with them. Bring value to them and positive emotions, never an agenda......

I don't know if you are religious......but sometimes when we are lost, getting back to something spiritual can be of great benefit....

dump the anime

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
...when you should be idolizing vegeta from dbz lol

Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about this HB's power level?
Vegeta: (removes his scouter and crushes it) It's over 9000!
Nappa: What!? 9000!? There's no way that can be right! Could it!?

I like DBZ. (Disclaimer: I haven't watched anime since the early 2000s.) I used to watch that show often when I was in high school. My avatar is actually of the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. I'm using that to push me to bulk up 30 pounds. Since mid April, I've gained 15 pounds (up from 136).

Lols aside. I didn't have any mentors growing up. I was a late bloomer. I asked older siblings and my father for advice and they just utter one word "confidence" with no road map on how one get's "confidence". I read many self-help books in my late teens and early 20s to figure some things out. I honestly didn't learn more until I approached, got dumped a few times and was rejected often. I've made many white knight, Disney feels, captain-save-a-ho mistakes. I'm still unplugging and working on confidence/self-esteem in my mid 30s now.... It's an ever-evolving learning process.

@Reykhel had some good book recommendations above. I own and have read most on his list. Meditations is the bomb and it's amazing that it was written by a Roman philosopher-emperor waaaaaay long ago. Wisdom still upholds and is prescient even today's culture. Check out my thread on Marcus Aurelius.

Best advice I could give is make a lot of mistakes and learn from them. Become your own mentor. Use your observing ego to guide and develop your own DJ wisdom. You'll get better at reading people and emotions in set. Also, I recommend being around diverse social spheres. It will help you keep up with current events, interests, and you'll develop interesting stories this way later that you can bring into set. You don't have to become a story teller, but it's fun to tell a story to a captivated audience and that presence also bolsters your confidence levels.

Last edited: